The Cult's Billy Duffy: "Do you really want to go to your grave having never owned a Gretsch?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by ZackyDog, Nov 7, 2019.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I don't really follow him but, I thought some people may be interested in this article.

upload_2019-11-7_3-44-35.png

JC higgy, Les Pedals, pmac11 and 4 others like this.
  2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Thanx for sharing!
    I’m going to see The Cult in Boston next month!

ZackyDog likes this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Nice one...

ZackyDog and calebaaron666 like this.
  4. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Nice... Thanks for sharing.

ZackyDog likes this.
  5. mandobandit

mandobandit Gretschie

Apr 1, 2019
    Ohio
    I'm not a huge fan of the Cult( I have go to songs ), but I'm very much a fan of Billy Duffy.
    I find him to be a solid player in his genre, I'm most impressed with his demeanor at least from YouTube interviews and the like, my drummer is very much a fan of the Cult.

ZackyDog likes this.
  6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    That was a nice article (and some good vids). Thanks for sharing, Zacky.

ZackyDog likes this.
  7. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Thanks for sharing Zacky!

Guitar Guitar did an interview with Billy too,in it he mentions he and Gretsch have something coming out maybe next year,a cross between the Falcon and a solid body based on the Jet!

The guitarguitar Interview: Billy Duffy of The Cult.
    https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/news/140868/

Henry and ZackyDog like this.
  8. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I like that word atmosphere with regards to Gretsch. To my ears, it the HS Filtertron/Hollow-body combination through a classic amp
    (VOX AC30, Fender Deluxe Reverb, Fender '62 Blonde Bassman, Fender '59 Tweed Bassman, etc.) imparts a rich/full/musical/complex/etc. tone, that I can't quite get with (i.e. Strat/LP/Rickenbacker) another guitar.

Isn't it easier for a Gretsch to imitate a PAF '57/'59-equipped Gibson, but more challenging for the Gibson to mimic the Gretsch?

Ricochet likes this.
  9. mikechandler

mikechandler Gretschie

Jul 7, 2015
    Chandler, AZ
    I got into the Cult and Duffy's playing back when Dreamtime was released, and was a fan all the way up to Sonic Temple. The albums Dreamtime and Love are just amazing albums (in that order, imho). I was criticized by our bass player for having such a Billy Duffy tone in the 80s. I think the reason why was that I ran a proco-rat into a jazz chorus, and later on (when I fried it) into a solid state Randal combo. We were doing alt-rock, and Duffy's influence (and tone) could definitely be heard, even though I threw it off using a '67 Flying V. Still laughing about it all... he kills me with comments like that.

I wanted a Billy Duffy Falcon from the moment I heard it was in the works. Then I saw it was silver hardware, with silver sparkle siding, and I opted out. Boooo! But I am still a Duffy fan, and always will be!

And, he is right!

calebaaron666 likes this.
  10. guto

guto Gretschie

Oct 24, 2011
    Brasil
    I like the cult and billy duffy’s work, but i always think how strange is the fact he never ever cotes malcolm young, considering how may riffs he got from him, and of course the fact that malcolm used a gretsch his entire career, including the famous white falcon on the back in black album.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice