Join Gretsch-Talk Today

The Committee -A Baldwin Era mess or...?

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by AguynamedJ, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    The Superton is nature's perfect pickup. :)

drmilktruck and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  2. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I've enjoyed mine.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It came to me w/ the bridge pup swapped for a Bill Lawrence and some screwed up wiring (since replaced). It sounds pretty darn great for more aggressive stuff and covers the cleaner more pretty type playing fairly admirably as well. It is pretty massive (I'm guessing mine is somewhere in the 9.5 lb neighborhood) but it seems to carry it well and hasn't seemed too fatiguing using a fairly light standard width strap. I personally like the aesthetics of it as well.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    loudnlousy, J Bird and englishman like this.
  3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
  4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    They do not fall into my regular Gretsch "need to own cathegory".
    I cannot find anything desireable with this strange models but I have total sympathy for everyone lusting for something oddball like this.:confused:

5. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    PowerTrons worked well in my experience. (Although I agree with you that the SuperTron is the finest Gretsch pup and don't understand why they don't offer it on any models.)

6. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Maybe make the body out of two routed halves glued together?

7. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Hmmm maybe if he had a lighter guitar he would half used less of the hard stuff and lived longer.

drmilktruck likes this.
  8. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Having had both, I’d say there’s not a lot of difference. The Supers might be a bit clearer, but either sounds great.
    Hence, my earlier comment. :)

Seriously, 13.5 pounds!?!?!?!?!? I have an 11 pound Warwick bass and if I strap that on I suffer compression of the Brachial Plexus and will all but collapse after 30 minutes or so. I don’t know how Garcia did it and, he didn’t look like a fitness buff to me.

Henry likes this.
  9. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    I missed this yesterday. It’s a great sounding axe, at least clean, I fast-forwarded past the distorted part. Heard enough of that when I taught in a music store. :)

This would be tempting if it were a custom-made replica with some routing to bring it under 8 pounds, or so. A couple of clear, articulate Supertrons and a proper Gretsch control set and you’d be in business.

NJDevil and drmilktruck like this.