Join Gretsch-Talk Today

The Committee -A Baldwin Era mess or...?

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by AguynamedJ, Aug 29, 2018.

1. AguynamedJ

AguynamedJ Electromatic

Ok I need some help...

The Committee G 7628. I know its a Baldwin era solidbody that everybody loves to hate but...I found one in an original case so its going home with me. Its a tad heavier than I like BUT its not LP heavy so its managable.
    FInding iinformation is tough. Even the books I have dont much mention the guitar. Its like its a dirty little secret.

SO anybody who can point me in the right direction it would be apreciated mas! I am open to the negatives and the positives and your individual knowldge of her if you had one. Any stats on the guitar would be helpful as well. And if theres another thread with all this already answered just point me the right way and I will find it.

Thanks ahead of time !!!

Andrew Griffin likes this.
  2. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    There used to be a site called Gretsch's Lost Weekend. Google it up. But hey, if you love it... then great!

3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I've owned two Committees. One I loved, but replaced the pickups with TV Jones PowerTrons for a Gretschier sound. I sold it stupidly (and at a loss. :() I'd take it back if I could. It was heavy though. The other was a total dog.

4. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It's up to you. If you like it, great. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Enjoy it!

MotorCentaur likes this.
  5. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I'm not aware of anyone that hates it. I think it's a great looking guitar. Most of the Baldwin era was good stuff, even if they strayed from the traditional.

J Bird likes this.
  6. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

I love all the Baldwin stuff.

There you go. Opinion is divided.

7. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Synchromatic

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    Pic’s please so those of us who are uninformed can make up our own minds

8. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Hopefully it will come with the special tool required to adjust the 'Burns gearbox' truss rod system.

9. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    A camel is a horse designed by committee. Just saying.

drmilktruck likes this.
  10. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    [​IMG]

Sometimes it came with a clear pickguard.

[​IMG]

fender62custom and thunder58 like this.
  11. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    It's got a real Alembic bass vibe going for it!

12. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I think it's kind of cool looking

13. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I've never hefted one of those, but I can imagine how heavy they are. Doesn't Jerry Garcia's custom one weigh like 15 lbs?

14. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    I don't care for the color of it. If they had used a different colored stain for the body and contrasting colors for those 2 stripes, given it some binding and inlays (instead of those **** dots), then maybe it would have been a looker. And maybe an ebony fretboard.

15. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Mobile, Al
    I think they look cool, but how do they sound?

16. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Very similar to LP/SG types.

17. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    That's why I thought the PowerTrons would be a good fit as they're more PAF-like but still sound Gretschy. Better than the standard humbuckers that came with it.

18. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Mobile, Al
    Sounds pretty good, though. I probably couldn't get along with the body thickness, but they do sound quite nice. Perfect guitar for heavy metal, and related genres

19. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

Dec 2, 2016
    Washougal
    The Committee was my only electric for almost 20 years. I am biased, I've always loved it. Now that I've got a 5120 with Filtertrons, the Committee does sound muddy on the low end. For all those years though, I never thought it was lacking. In fact, the neck shape sets the standard for any guitar. I think it would be a modern C shape, very shallow, imminently playable, 3-ply neck through is about as stable as you can get. These are fetching big bucks these days. If I ever sold mine, I'd make a huge profit.
    I may replace the pickups one day and turn the neck volume into a master volume with a treble bleed. I would love to put a Bigsby on it, but my tech says no.
    20180117_184222.jpg

NJDevil, drmilktruck and thunder58 like this.
  20. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    whoa... that's a neck thru Gretsch!? GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!!