The Clash exhibition

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by ALS57, Dec 6, 2019.

1. ALS57

ALS57 Electromatic

Jun 17, 2019
    London
    The last time I saw this bass Paul Simonon was putting it to good use during a blistering set by the Clash at Sheffield Top Rank in November 1978. Now it's part of a Clash exhibition at The London Museum. A bit odd seeing some of this stuff again and a reminder of what a great live band they were, happy times...

Clash12.jpg
    Clash01.jpg
    Clash03.jpg
    Clash10.jpg

2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Cool, that the bass on the London Calling cover?

3. ALS57

ALS57 Electromatic

Jun 17, 2019
    London
  4. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    The Clash - yes, I was a student at that time... Great fun in a mid-crisis era ! ;)

We were in the Punk / New-Wave craze at that time in France (1978-1984). London was the place to be for recording music success. My friends were wearing Mods / Punk / New-Wave suits, looking like Zombies, Dandys or Crows ! Sony was issuing its first WalkMan (cassette model) for the most fortunates (it cost an arm and a leg :eek:). I bought my venerable ES335-TD LH and played in a band which was a clone of The Passions (unfortunately no pics... :()... Delay, Flanger... It was cool then... :rolleyes:

My favourite title from The Clash is "The Magnificent Seven" :

Along with the instrumental version "The Magnificent Dance" :

OK, these may be not their most representative style o_O, but this is nonetheless True Clash tunes... :cool:

A+!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Zeek and ALS57 like this.
  5. Jeff67

Jeff67 Gretschie

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Cool stuff! Man, I miss the Clash!

ALS57 likes this.
  6. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    What a band. What a time. Im not crazy about being 57 but Im so glad i was old enough to go to gigs and clubs in london in 78.
    If i had been one year older i would have maybe seen the Pistols but apart from that i feel like i was in the right place at the right time.
    What must that gear be worth now? I wont get back to london till next May, i wonder if the exhibit will go on tour or remain at the museum?

7. ALS57

ALS57 Electromatic

Jun 17, 2019
    London
    I'm 58 and agree with right time right place. When I was 16 I just missed the sex pistols who played in Doncaster in 1977 but cottoned on quick and just about caught most of the punk bands around at the time. Living near Sheffield and Leeds there was something on most nights of the week. I remember when London Calling came out we thought the Clash had gone soft but looking back you could see the change they made all made sense. I count myself very lucky I saw them on top form along with bands like the Jam, Joy Division and the Ramones etc.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  8. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Jealous! Doubt it’ll come to the US.

9. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I’m currently reading The Return of the Last Gang in Town.
    Quite a book for quite a band. Too bad I approached punk music just before Cut The Crap was out so I haven’t had the chance to see the real thing. London Calling is one of my top 5 desert island discs.

ALS57 likes this.
  10. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Gretschie

Feb 24, 2010
    DFW area, TX
    I love The Clash. They proudly adorn my Tele case (warning, slightly political). Huge influence on my style. I'm 30, so I missed that whole movement, but I remember riding with my dad in the car at a very young age when Guns of Brixton came on the classics station he was listening to and it immediately grabbed me. It was so different than anything I'd heard. I loved it immediately.

11. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    He must have been very talented, that bass looks difficult to play.

Zeek, ALS57 and Carbohydrates like this.
  12. ALS57

ALS57 Electromatic

Jun 17, 2019
    London
    I don't know who owns the Fender esquire or the Gibson now but they were in a bit of a mess too.

I might have a go at some Clash tracks on the Gretsch today

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  13. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, that's my era, too. Nothing makes you feel more like an old fart than to find out your one-time favorite band is museum fodder now! LoL!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Zeek, ALS57 and mbkri like this.
  14. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    The Buzzcocks/ Joy Div On tour together. Amazing. When i saw the Jam they were supported by The Pretenders. You’re right, There was so much mysic to see back then. I lived in sheffield for my undergrad 81-84 and there was still a lot of great stuff going on. Like Cabaret Voltaire and Hula.

ALS57 likes this.
  15. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    Slightly too young too far (came from the countryside to Paris only in 1986) to have seen all these.
    Only "advantage" to that situation: from the very start of my listening to them, I could understand and appreciate the progression from the first eponym album to London Calling to Sandinista! and fully love it right from the start. Then I was kinda disappointed by Combat Rock which had stopped that progression. But I also bought Cut The Crap upon its release in spite of the terrible critical reception. (And its's finally not that bad after all, especially if you can pay no attention to the crap sound).
    Definitely one of the best bands ever, the Rolling Stones of our generation.

In case you wouldn't know: the legitimate successor to Sandinista! was issued decades later and is Mondo Bongo from Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros.

ALS57 likes this.
  16. ALS57

ALS57 Electromatic

Jun 17, 2019
    London
    Amazing, yes saw the buzzcocks supported by joy division in Sheffield, the poly I think? I was at engineering college there 77-79

mbkri likes this.
  17. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    Don't you have a Tele to strum(mer) instead?
    Joe's one of the main reasons why I bought mine.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    ALS57 likes this.
  18. ALS57

ALS57 Electromatic

Jun 17, 2019
    London
    15757930568846116603087917793208.jpg
    Unfortunately not but I have a Yamaha 302 which is a fine guitar

wildeman likes this.
  19. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Still the best band in the world, ever.

Saturday 8th July 1978, The Clash & Suicide & The Specials. Pogoing in the mosh pit. Skinheads fighting. Alan Vega from Suicide fronting them. I was 14 and snogged a girl from sixth form, she was a grown woman! My mate's brother got us beer.

It all started in that moment.

mbkri, new6659 and stiv like this.
  20. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Yes, another bonus point (as if they ever needed some behind the music) for the Clash is that they’ve always been music lovers, all of them. No hyped musicians that only loved their instruments or just persons in the right place at the right time. That allowed them to give a go to a great number of support bands and put them in front of a larger crowd like they would probably never had all alone. Nobody would have cared about Suicide outside NY if Joe and Mick wouldn’t have wanted them as support band, and that would be a shame as Alan Vega was really a rock’n’roll shaman.
    Over here in Italy, a band called Not Moving (a sort of Gun Club meet Heartbreakers type of band) opened for them in the 80s in Bologna. After that, they built a career over that opening (clubs paying money to have them, managers putting them support Johnny Thunders, Iggy Pop, the Cramps), underground scene got crazy for them so they could quit their day jobs for long time and being “a band” (which is really different from being a pro musician, it means fulfill your rock’n’roll dreams with your music and not only with your skills). That’s what the Clash represented for my generation. I’m mad for The Who but it’s been The Clash the equivalent of them for those my age...

ALS57 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice