Join Gretsch-Talk Today

The Brown Falcon

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Kingman33, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Kingman33

Kingman33 Newbie

Apr 13, 2018
    Chicago,Illinois
    BD89762F-4779-4366-A7A0-6211D0D2C0BF.jpeg EA863578-2F16-4783-930D-03C9293A7073.jpeg 111457FC-1D20-4877-AB67-DAF7392D43AC.jpeg 4368C777-8A54-4CB8-B925-5AFEDBA376D1.jpeg 680DE8D8-9126-476D-93C9-5FD07CBBEF32.jpeg I am brand new to this thread. What I found is this guitar claiming to be a Gretsch Brown Falcon? I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist. The asking price with hard shell case is $250,so I am pretty sure it's fake.

Attached Files:

MKunie likes this.
  2. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    I am reasonably sure it's a fake, too. Aside from the fact that I've never heard of a Brown Falcon, it looks more like a Country Gentleman to me. The fret markers look "off" to me, as do the knobs. But then again I am very far from an expert.

The price says fake, or stolen.

3. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Well, with Gretschbuckers, a tension bar Bigsby and fake Grover beanbuttons and those bad fret markers, that is certainly no Japanese Gretsch.

What is disconcerting is that the fakers are now faking Terada serial numbers instead of 'made in USA'.

$250 is too much for that little firewood (and you'll poison yourself with noxious fumes if you try to burn it).

4. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Fake, indeed !

The one that I have bears exactly the same S/N° :

[​IMG]

I bought it for 100 euros with a hardbag, used, playable, but in need of some work. The name on the pickguard was Tennessee xxxx (deleted by pick scratches, but I suppose "Rose") :

[​IMG]

Comparison between the Fake ChinaGirl Gretsch (left) and the Regular Gretsch Tennessee Rose (right) :

[​IMG]

I bought it because it was Lefty. Thinline single cut hollowbody guitars are almost inexistent, moreover at that price ! So it's a project on which I am working on (see thread "DERELICT DELUXE" on "other guitars" subforum), testing the woodwork before going too much further.

Here's the condition today - still under qualification tests :

[​IMG]

The guitar is fully playable, has a good tone (fitted with FrankenTone Lil'Chester PUs) ans stays in tune even with tremolo abuse. Of course, I have made some mods on it and will continue further, since the guitar seems to want to meet my expectations... Next step : a set of DynaSonic pickups. Maybe she will end as an improbable ChinaGirl Lefty Gretsch, but a nice, good sounding true Lefty Fake ! :cool:

So yes, she's a fake. Nonetheless, it's possible to make her becoming a good guitar, I think. Maybe she's just waiting for that... ;)

Now you decide for yourself, Kingman33 - considering that you have the advantage of being Right-Handed, and so more "regular" instrument finding possibilities...

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

5. KuKuKu

KuKuKu Gretschie

Aug 28, 2016
    Germany
    Well, the picture is a bit blurred, but the headstock plate seems to say "Falcom". :rolleyes:

wademp and wabash slim like this.
  6. afire

afire Country Gent

I didn't know the forgers were using more realistic serial numbers and stamping them MIJ. Slightly more credible than the Made in U.S.A ones, but still clearly fake.

7. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Me too. I discovered that on the guitar. And the funniest is that these fakes seems to all bear the same serial number :rolleyes: !

A+!

mrfixitmi likes this.
  8. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Purple Falcon? Why not. Red Falcon? Sure. Green Falcon? Hey, could be a superhero. But BROWN Falcon? What's the first thing you think of when you see the word Brown? Yeah, me, too. Kind of appropriate in this case, actually.

9. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It does read "Falcom"!
    At least brown is the correct color for a POS.

Now, I'm waiting for a Maltese Falcon.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    mrfixitmi, audept and MTurner like this.
  10. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Hey, they found out how to fake an authentic serial number. And now they are doing it again and again. That`s true efficiency.

11. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
  12. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    trd.jpg $250 for the case, and you get the brown turd for free....thats a good deal. If it came with this fuzz pedal, I would be all over this deal like stink on sh@%!!

Trash Kidd likes this.
  13. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Not really... Here's the appearance comparison of S/N° between my Fake Lefty and my True Lefty :

[​IMG]

A+!