The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by MrAstro, Nov 28, 2018.

1. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I thought the first one and the one with Tom Waites were the best. I heard an interview with the Cohen brothers on NPR and it sounds like they were poking a bit of fun at several of the formulae that existed around westerns and movies in general.

MrAstro likes this.
  2. Highroller

Highroller Gretschie

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Well, there ya go! ... and only 150 bucks! Bet they sell a crap load of those over the next couple months. Might even order one myself ...

Favorite Buster movie joke: James Franco: "Your first time?" LoL!

MrAstro and Runamok like this.
  3. MartyT

MartyT Gretschie

Apr 8, 2010
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    I'll watch anything from the Coen Brothers. Definitely quirky as always. Not their best, but still entertaining.

MrAstro likes this.
  4. Runamok

Runamok Electromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    That is a sharp looking guitar. It looks good with rope binding & those fret markers. Kinda Gibson L-00 deep-waisted (friend's Gibson sound sweet), or a Grand Concert Taylor; it says single 0. Spruce top, Rosewood fingerboard. No idea what "white wood" is, or Nato. Chinese made. I have not run across Recording King except online, I might have to try one as a throw-in-my-saddle-bags while riding the prairie. Cheaper than low end Fenders & independents. Is there a comparable Gretsch?

Video sounds a little tinny, but it has some push.

I never wanted a 12 fret guitar, but after getting one - they are nice to have, so long as you are not constantly pushing lead licks above ~fret 13.

Buying a ticket item like guitars is so frustrating - you are stuck with what you across in a store, a friend owns, or swing for the fences online & uncompared.

The Dirk Gently book was great. I never got into the series enough to assess it.

Stranger Things brilliant through season 1 & a good part of the second. Hope they don't screw up the writing by trying to milk it past freshness, as they usually do in U.S. series.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    MrAstro likes this.
  5. Runamok

Runamok Electromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    Must have brushed the screen an edit, oh well. The short version is:
    The Recording King was the basis for the whole joke vignette.

The nut is 1.69 in the spec.

MrAstro likes this.
  6. Highroller

Highroller Gretschie

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    [​IMG]

Yeah, the Jim Dandy G9500. Very similar mojo, same basic price point. Wouldn't surprise me if they're made side by side at the same factory. The Dandy's been very well reviewed over the past few years, but I dunno ... I think the Recording King is a just little bit sexier! LoL!

It's that fancy-ass headstock, I'm sure!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    Runamok and MrAstro like this.
  7. Runamok

Runamok Electromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    Price points are there. Makes you wonder why some cost thousands.
    I like the look of Jim Dandy, but scale, feel & sound is what matters to me.

A guitar under Grand Concert / 00 generally has no cutaway & I'd like one for a change.
    And the bass range is important to me. I want a bit of bass depth, even as I mute it.

The Recording King I think is actually the basis of the singing cowboy joke for the movie vignette.

I am leery of guitars that are traveling specs & made by a wide variety of independent factories for quality control.

I could chase 'cheap' guitars all day, but will I be happy if I catch one?

8. georgedombeck

georgedombeck Electromatic

Nov 13, 2018
    Parkers Prairie mn
    Saw it Saturday night. Loved Buster Scruggs, The Gold miner, the wagon train, but the limbless fella? Nope. Love Busters Guitar, going to look for one, will look great on the wall next to my "Buck Owens" red , white and blue acoustic.