Join Gretsch-Talk Today

The 1980s

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by markeebee, Jan 12, 2018.

1. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    I caught an incurable disease in the 80's for which there is no cure, millions suffer from it.
    It's called Pac-Man fever, and it's driving me wild...

thunder58 and Wulfgang like this.
  2. Hydroman

Hydroman Gretschie

Feb 29, 2016
    FUNtucky, Ca.
    I like your sisters!

3. afire

afire Country Gent

I was 5-15 in the eighties, and I didn't really like the music at the time, other than The Stray Cats, but I've warmed up to it over the years. Maybe it's nostalgia.

4. Hydroman

Hydroman Gretschie

Feb 29, 2016
    FUNtucky, Ca.
    I grew up in the 70's but really turned it on musically in the 80's.

Was in a few garage Punk Rock bands, sat in with my Metal Friends on drums. Back Yard kegger parties and no one called the Police.

Saw the Stray Cats, Black Flag ,The Dead Kennedys, The Clash (a few times), The Police, AC/DC, Van Halen, Wall of Voodoo , The Cure and yes,Men At Work.Very diverse music at the time. The 80's were Fantastic if you were a teenager living in L.A. , take the bus to Hollywood and hang around Sunset Blvd and see great bands.

wildeman, Aymara and Wulfgang like this.
  5. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    One more for the time travel:

Wulfgang likes this.
  6. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
  7. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Woah ... how could I have forgotten this album:

The loudest band I ever saw live.

rob batz and Wulfgang like this.
  8. Wulfgang

Wulfgang Synchromatic

May 22, 2009
    Seattle WA./Omaha NE
    Clan of Xymox! Had the privilege of sharing the stage with them at the Oakland metro opera house awhile back for the 2016 Pandemonium festival. Nice guys, expensive taste in beer. I was a bit sad not to meet Anka Wolbert though.

HBob and Aymara like this.
  9. Dreamtime

Dreamtime Gretschie

Dec 14, 2017
    New York
    I have seen about a billion live bands and LORDS OF THE NEW CHURCH were one of the best bands (top 3) that I ever saw live. And I didn't even like that band!

Seriously, I thought they were overly pretentious, Stiv was a douche, mostly uninteresting songs, and (even though their pedigree was rock solid) they always came across as punk posers. I didn't like them. But I'd see any band that came to town, and when I saw them live...WOW!!!!

Brian James was incredibly charismatic on stage. He didn't do much of anything, didn't say a word, but you couldn't take your eyes off the guy. He had a sneer, he didn't give a rat's tail about the audience....he was punk personified. He just played his guitar. Stiv was wild and fun in concert and the other two laid down ferocious rhythms that slayed us all. Incredible live band. Powerful. Solid. Great.

I will tell a quick story. The greatest moment I ever had at a live show was at a Lords show. In the middle of a song Stiv would hold the microphone out to the audience. Guys would grab it and basically just scream into it. "Waaaaaaa!" The microphone would go to another dolt and same thing, a drunken guy screaming "Waaaaaa"! But then one guy got the microphone, held it tight, and yelled into it, "Your mothers don't love you! Your mothers don't love you!" Stiv fell down laughing. Even Brian James' punk sneer disappeared and he was breaking up laughing. It was brilliant. Totally unexpected and totally unforgettable. If Stiv were still alive I guarantee you he would remember it.

rob batz and Wulfgang like this.
  10. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    At the Lords OTNC gig I saw, Stiv climbed up the PA cab tower to get into the lights, where he hanged himself with the microphone cable. A roadie grabbed him and pulled him back on the cab tower, where Stiv was lying without any movement for a while. Then he suddenly jump down the tower and continued singing as if nothing had happened.

He must have been completely pumped up with drugs.

And they were so loud, that I had some kind of tinitus for 2 weeks :eek: ... an unforgetable gig.

PS: Here's a live impression of that time:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    rob batz likes this.
  11. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    The 1980s destroyed my 70's rock . Had no interest in the 1980s thread ..........I'm going back to the 70s thread

12. Wulfgang

Wulfgang Synchromatic

May 22, 2009
    Seattle WA./Omaha NE
  13. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  14. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Ok, just for you ... not from the 70ies, but today, but highly inspired by 70ies Psychodelic Rock ... found them by chance yesterday:

Though slightly off-topic here, I guess, some people might like that sound.

Wulfgang and thunder58 like this.
  15. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Ok, back to the 80ies:

16. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Belfast in the 80's ,some things never change ,eh..
    More bombs going off on a regular basis,shootings, killings ,being body searched every time you went into town or into shops as there where a lot of incendiary devices left in shops,army road blocks every couple of miles ,burnt out cars, buses, trucks everywhere.

I was getting into a lot of different styles of music,Rockabilly ,Rock ,Metal and the Mod stuff ,i think i got my first guitar in 1980 but in the mid 80's i was bass player ,well i thought i was , come the end of the 80's i was playing lead guitar in my dads band which was old style 50's /60's style rock n roll and country,i've been hooked on that ever since,well the 50's/60's anyway.

Started going to gigs too.
    The good,got my first Gretsch and Rickenbacker 12 string.
    The bad,well personally that would be acne,and it was bad.

17. rob batz

rob batz Gretschie

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    I seriously miss the 80’s and even the early 90’s for me it was all bout the music and fashion and skateboarding! Now that I’m older I really wish I could take a time machine back to bout 82-84 !live the next few years and take in everything again plus more!

18. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Only one night at one of the clubs of that time would already be fantastic ... but not with today's fitness ... I need a fountain of youth first :D

rob batz likes this.