Join Gretsch-Talk Today

The 1970s

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by markeebee, Jan 12, 2018.

1. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Great.

Ford Capri, stupid hair, DISCO!, Al Green, plastic knobs on Gretsch guitars, wood-and-aluminium hifi, black forest gateau, Trevor Brooking, THE RAMONES!, Taxi Driver, Faye Dunaway, THE METERS!, tight t shirts, John Travolta, BARRY WHITE!. Martini, Emerson Fittipaldi. BLACK SABBATH!, Big Muff Pi, shag pile carpets.......I could go on and on and on, and I probably will.

Your turn now......

Mudshark and hcsterg like this.
  2. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    My dad's Triumph Dolomite. Safari suits. Saloon doors and a breakfast bar. Rise and fall lamps over a smoked glass table. York stone fireplaces.

And Led Zeppelin.

markeebee likes this.
  3. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    Taping the Top 40 chart show on your Dad's teak-trimmed pride & joy. Using the pause button to edit out the chat for a professional result. And praying you wouldn't need to flip the C-90 over in the middle of your favourite song.

mc.jpg

Mudshark, Pete66, JC higgy and 3 others like this.
  4. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    In my Sound System World: W-bins, JBL radial horns, Phase Linear amplifiers, Lexicon digital reverbs, Zero Halliburton briefcases, Mag-lites, Mullet hairdos.

5. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Saturday Night Fever.

6. organic

organic Synchromatic

Jan 22, 2011
    Worcester UK
    Started good, nosedived, excellent at the end.

kt66 likes this.
  7. dankas11

dankas11 Synchromatic

Jul 6, 2014
    Croatia
  8. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Ford Cortina (Mk 1), Blonde and maple Fender Telecaster, Sunburst 1962 Gibson 330, beer, Summer season Isle of Sheppey, beer, platform shoes, Embroidered 'loon' pants, beer, first love, beer, AC/DC and Queen liv shows.. did I mention beer?

Reedlvr, russmack and MikeyUK like this.
  9. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    CBS, Baldwin, Norlin. :) Primitive engine controls that rendered some new cars undrivable.

I miss the milder forms of bellbottoms, just a subtle flare 8" above the ankle. The later, disco-friendly bell bottoms that could provide shelter to a family of five, not so much. Rockford Files, Barretta, Starsky & Hutch. There were actually a few things worth watching on TV, back then. Midnight Special, the original Not Ready For Prime-Time Players. Young Fronkensteen. Actually, a whole bunch of Mel Brooks.

pilgrim and LivingMyDream like this.
  10. DunedinDragon

DunedinDragon Gretschie

Mar 13, 2015
    Dunedin, FL
    My favorite memory of the 70's....musicians got paid real money for playing 6 nights a week!!! Studios had money so signing with a record company meant BIG $$$$$. Well...all of that until disco raised it's ugly head.

Reedlvr likes this.
  11. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Seeing Queen , Led Zeppelin at Madison Square Garden in NYC . You could buy a great used car for $500 . College mixers . My long hair . Times Square and striped cars on the Cross Bronx Expressway , Bronx , N.Y. Getting cable TV . My girl at the time ( dated 2-1/2 years ) All those part time jobs and living at home . High School from 1973-1977 ...... I could go on and on too ...................
    Best time of my life and I didn't even know it ............................................

Reedlvr and nickurso like this.
  12. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    I remember that. A skilled musician could make a pretty decent excuse for a living if they hustled.

13. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Gigging for a living. Great music. Crappy cars. Plaid suits. Best of all, my wonderful 1973 Strat!

14. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Worked for me.

15. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Bad haircuts, bluejeans, military-style parka, Terrorism, pineapple /ham toasts with candy cherries. Bands with highheels and glitter-stuff. I liked it somehow.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  16. Ylikessu

Ylikessu Electromatic

Oct 17, 2017
    Finland
    Ford Cortina 67 GT!
    New sunburst Strat!
    5 gigs/week!
    Beatles!
    Shadows!
    Hurriganes!
    Wild StudentLife!
    Partying all night long!
    Falling in love again every week!
    Old enough to buy own beers!

17. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Synchromatic

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    Bill Shankly, Kevin Keegan, first guitar

18. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Back from Nam, out of the hospital, '71 & '72 in England, then home (couldn't buy a decent job), got married (still together 42 years later), 14 funerals in 3 years, went thru a slew of terrible cars, and started my career at Purdue. Still trying to catch up on lost sleep.

Still have my Mini Maglite, Audept.

panhead6zero likes this.
  19. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Feeling all grown up, but not yet being grown up.
    Santana, Chicago, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, Eagles, Doobie Brothers - all setting the soundtrack for my young life.
    And as Synchro noted: Flared jeans, and lots of Mel Brooks
    UCLA Basketball

nickurso likes this.
  20. JHall55

JHall55 Country Gent

Dec 18, 2012
    Ontario
    Earliest childhood memory is a Gordon Lightfoot concert in the late 70s.

Wulfgang likes this.