Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Thai Cave Rescue

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Jul 10, 2018.

1. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I had these kids in my prayers for days.
    I am happy that they are rescued in the end.
    The helpers are real heroes.

There was a lot of collateral damage, though.
    The death of one of the helpers has to be mourned.
    The fields of all the farmers around the place had to be flooded completely and their crop is destroyed. That is a personal desaster for them.

Flouswa likes this.
  2. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Bad luck, hope, threats, challenges and a happy end. Not too complicated and didn’t last too long either. Great journalistic story and yes, maybe a movie too in the future. Sure I’m happy too, that the boys are rescued, but there are a lot more, more important and threatening things going on in the world nowadays that get a lot less attention.

loudnlousy and Ricochet like this.
  3. russmack

russmack Country Gent

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    Sounds more like it.

The media come up with some beauties sometimes.

Thanks,

Russ

4. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    He didnt. Everyone else made it about him.

5. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Don't forget the unsung heroes, the helpers. There was a lady who ran an appliance store who brought washing machines to clean the rescuers' clothes for free. There were the ladies that cooked and provided food for all the rescuers. Then, there were the farmers who let the rescue teams flood their fields---"We can always replant another crop." Rescuers came from all over the world.

Look for the helpers.

6. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I don't know if he made it about himself, but given other statements Musk has made, I suspect it was. His bigger mistake was thinking that an outsider's perspective, informed by success in other fields, would translate to cave diving. The idea of the submarine was great, but if Elon had just talked to the people who actually know how to do this, it wouldn't have gotten off the ground. Maybe he continues working on the idea of a Tesla submarine and in a few years has a successful prototype.

7. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yea he really went off the deep end after I replied, thankfully he walked it back. I think he has lots of interesting ideas and vision of the future. As he once said about himself, "at least I'm a useful narcissist."

I don't know why anyone would feel the need to criticize anyone else trying to help. People really just need to stay off Twitter. It seems to a no-superego zone for some people.

8. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Some more than others.