Join Gretsch-TalkToday

Terada Guitar Factory in Japan OK after earthquake?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by leftystrummer, Mar 21, 2011.

1. leftystrummer

leftystrummer Electromatic

Anyone know if the Terada Guitar factory which makes all the Pro-line Gretsches was affected by the tragedy in Japan?

2. sandiego6120

sandiego6120 Gretschie

I wondered about that too actually...

3. megabutter

megabutter Country Gent

Holy crap! Why DIDN'T I think of that?!

I was trying to look for where it is located. Found this:

"Terada were established in 1912 at Nagoya and concentrate mostly on making Semi Acoustic and Acoustic guitars and have made guitars for Ibanez, Orville by Gibson, Epiphone Japan, Gretsch and other well known brands as well. At their production peak (in the late 1970s/1980s/early 1990s) they were producing around 10,000 guitars a month using 3 factories, the Higashiku factory, the Kanie factory and the Shirakawa factory. Terada's output is now about an 1/8th of what it was at their peak and they are still actively producing guitars at their Kanie factory."

Kanie is appartently located in Aichi-ken:

[​IMG]

Looks far away from the areas hit by the quake.

[​IMG]

IDK. Man, poor Japan right now though. Just terrible.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. araT

araT Gretschified

I posted this in the main Tsunami thread, and someone else started a thread about Terada - according to people @ GDP Terada survived unscathed, but there's no word on the Dyna Gakki factory.

Someone else commented on the picture of all the toppled containers in the tsunami-quake damage shots saying it's likely one of them were filled with guitars on their way to the US.. sad thought.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all the luthiers & their families, I hope they pull through these tough times & keep building the guitars we all love.

6. sandiego6120

sandiego6120 Gretschie

Prayers go out to all in Japan...