Tension in your neck truss rod and after length" for a "hardtail" mod

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Jena, Mar 12, 2019.

One difference I note is that Fender seems like more neck changes are done as modifications for quite an aftermarket in the neck . . . arguably the essence of everything resonating anyway.
    If tension in strings is changed dramatically, how much you may have to re-align the neck, or is that dependent on the neck wood material and construction and weakness or damage to the neck.
    Anybuddy swap a neck out on a Gretsch, as simple reason as any it may be ?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  1. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    La Quinta, CA
    Changing strings effecting neck stuff is really dependent upon neck construction and material. Due to the inconsistent nature of wood, it is impossible to make a guess at what effect the string change would have.

I have not swapped any Gretsch necks... I've reattached a Gibson SG neck, and put together a bunch of Strats and Teles. But, that doesn't help with your query.

2. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Partly material and construction.
    Partly strings gauge and tuning.
    Partly temp and humidity.

hcsterg likes this.
  3. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    My '38 Martin had no truss rod. V neck. I sold it but it was 75 + years old. The action was the lowest of any guitar, electric or acoustic, I had. It was pretty surprising.

4. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I have a Framus Capri acoustic from 1959. No trussrod, neck is dead straight. You know, wood isn't what it used to be.

new6659 and swivel like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice