Tell Me About Superlungs Terry Reid

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, May 21, 2019.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    He's playing in Minneapolis this week. All I know is his name, his version of Bang Bang (which is great) and that he turned down the chance to be the lead singer for Led Zeppelin.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  2. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Synchromatic

Aug 5, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I may not be able to tell you anything about Terry Reid, but I can tell you that track you posted is clearly the basis for Jack White's whole bag (and that's in no way a diss, I totally dig his whole bag).

sh4rkbyt3 and drmilktruck like this.
  3. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    In the '70s (and maybe now, I don't know), Terry lived in Oxnard, north of L.A. He played with some guys I knew who hung out at the music store I hung out at, and at one point he did a show up there and one of his former bandmates, David Lindley, who was touring with Jackson Browne at the time, joined him for the show. My friends and I got to be roadies for the show (volunteers, as it turned out, but I digress) and hang out with them for a day or so. We were underage and it was at a bar, and we thought we were livin' the high life being in a bar and wrangling all this audio gear that had "Jackson Browne" stenciled on it. It was a fun time sitting in Terry's living room making small talk with David. Glad to see Terry's still out there performing, he's incredibly talented.

drmilktruck likes this.
  4. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Sure sounds like him. You can hear Robert Plant too. (Obviously Jimmy had a certain vocal sound in his head from the beginning.)

That is very perceptive. The Raconteurs do a version of Rich Kid Blues by Terry Reid on their first album.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  5. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    That whole Superlungs album is killer! Get it, then go and see him.

drmilktruck likes this.
  6. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  7. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Great listen! Thanks for sharing.

8. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I saw him open for the Ike & Tina Turner Revue, & BB King, & The Rolling Stones (w/Mick Taylor) in 1969. Can't say I remember anything about him, as what followed sort of erased all memory of poor Terry's set.

drmilktruck likes this.
  9. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Synchromatic

Aug 5, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    !!!

10. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    He also asked Steve Marriott and was told by Steve's manger to back off, and none too kindly either.

drmilktruck likes this.
  11. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    A big hero in this house. We've seen him various times over the past few years, sometimes he's solo, other times with a band. The old Glastonbury clip with Alan White on drums and David Lindley is great stuff.

Here on the BBC's Old Grey Whistle Test back in the day:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=odM5S3BZS-g

Graham Nash produced (and also sang) on the Seed Of Memory album:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd63GVczu-8

Superlungs on German tv in 1969 -- great live sound from the German tv crew:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYcMelyOlSQ

Here's the opener from a set at London's Borderline Club about five or so years ago with a young New York (I think) band, the Cosmic American Derelicts. We were at this show:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=hocjPjgDc_k

I've always thought of Terry Reid as one of those performers "either you get or you don't" -- I do, although these days his performances can sometimes be, shall we say, a little eccentric. But I love the guy.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Philtertronic and drmilktruck like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice