Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Tell me about modern Vox amps, please.

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Uncle Daddy, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I only played a vox briefly in 2014 but I also was less than impressed by the build quality although I know many use them without problems.

2. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I've never owned a tube Vox myself but the typical "Vox sound" always seems to lack a bit of low end to my ears?
    Maybe that's what makes them hold up in a band situation/at gigging volume?

3. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    I have a valvatronix Vox and it is very good for what it is. As said above it does not really have any low end, but it has an 8 in Speaker. But for a small cheap modeler I was very pleased. Personally can't speak to to the build quality of the big boy models, I just known my Sales tech warned me. Also i like pedals and had read that the Vox amps didn't play well with many pedals.

Not going to lie though. That Sweetwater exclusive ac10 might find its way to my house some day.

4. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Why not build your own? You've got the chops after doing your 5e3.

The Ceriatone Creme Brulee would be right up your alley, I think, and could be tweaked easily to make it 100% yours.

Henry likes this.
  5. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Okay... first, FARGIN BEATLES! So stinkin bastage great! You watch them and how effortless they make it seem, but if you know the back story and all the 8 hour gigs they played in Germany, you know these guys were players carved out of granite. It's impossible to watch them and not smile.

That said... I neglected to mention that I currently own an AC30CC1. It's basically a 1x12 AC30. At some point I may change the speaker and tubes as I suspect it could be modded to sound a bit better, but as it is, it's great sounding amp and I love it. I also have a DA5 for home practice and for a teenie modeling amp, it's also wicked-pissah cool.

Thanks or the price correction, Zacky! I wish I could get one of each.
    I wonder how a handwired Vox would sound with a Tone King Iron Man Attenuator? That would be interesting.

ZackyDog likes this.
  6. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Gretschie

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    I have owned an AC15C1 for a couple of years now.
    Zero issues with it.
    This is a very versatile amp. If you get one, get yourself a good ABY pedal to use it for input channel selection, and channel blending as well.
    Takes pedals well, including drive (OCD for heavier drive, Crayon for lower drive).
    Kept the Greenback in it. It took a little while for it to break in. Very bright sounding until it properly broke in. Now it has wonderfully chimey cleans, awesome creamy as well as crunchy OD using pedals, great overtones, very responsive to pick attack.
    Prior to owning this amp, I thought I was a Fender guy. Now that I have had this amp for a while, I'm sure I am a VOX guy.
    edit... almost forgot to add I replaced the tubes with JJ's with an ECC803S in the V1 position (thanks @ZackyDog ).

Mistaon and ZackyDog like this.
  7. dazzajl

dazzajl Country Gent

Apr 18, 2010
    wiltshire
    I've had several of the current crop of mass produced ACs and a handwired AC15 too. They've all sounded fabulous, although the speaker in the cab for the AC4 did let the whole rig down.

As much as we all love the idea of handwired amps, there was no discernible difference between my plastic boarded AC15 and the handwired heritage model. Both had celestion blues in.

I've always thought that the cheaper plastic versions would be unreliable and eventually just stop working but I've yet to actually see it happen. I'd definitely recommend letting one impress you sometime soon.

somebodyelseuk likes this.
  8. TW4990

TW4990 Electromatic

Aug 20, 2016
    Sydney Australia
    Let me guess, the Vox was the cheapest and the Supro the dearest? Wonder why he would steer you in that direction?
    I own an AC10, and if that is poor build quality, then I am the happy owner of a poorly built amp.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  9. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    They are fine amps that will give you a unique sound. It is no wonder that they powered the British Invasion bands and, 60 years later they are still making them.

vox.jpg

10. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Good point. Also, I read quite a bit of quality issues with the first Supro reissues.

11. Byron

Byron Gretschie

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    I played through an AC15 solid state amp at a gig recently. Apparently it sounded good so I'm wondering what it was. Any clues? It wasn't anything like the VR series and wasn't that recent. Two inputs.

Sorry if I'm butting in again on your thread uncledaddy, if it's irrelevant ignore me again

Uncle Daddy likes this.
  12. pwhite

pwhite Electromatic

May 21, 2017
    Liberty, SC
    I have a VOX AC10C1 that I picked up used about 4 months ago and I really like it. I have used it at home almost exclusively since I got. Not a lot of features on it but it does sound good for what it is. The digital reverb can get over the top sometimes but it's a great little powerful 10 watt amp that travels well, very light weight. It also takes pedals very well but does not have an FX loop, so you have to front load it. I got mine used for 300 but I have more than one on CL lately in the 250-275 range.

ZackyDog likes this.
  13. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Vox amps ?!
    They smoke, in both ways...

ZackyDog likes this.
  14. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    ahh how can anyone make any conclusions from these old videos?
    Terrible old recording made worse with Youtube processing, screaming girls in background, 2 guitars used (1 Gretsch & 1 Ric), obviously loads of post recording EQ processing applied.
    George's guitar is lost in the mix there somewhere.
    Who knows what George sounded like in reality but these old recordings are certainly not a good advertisement for any gear used imo :)

15. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    That's a crude thing to say.
    Ringo & Paul are both still out there doing good live shows and pleasing millions of fans.
    I doubt John or George could have done any better in keeping The Beatles thing alive - in fact as much as I loved him John always tried his best to defame the Beatles.

JimB1122, Joe90 and ZackyDog like this.
  16. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I have owned four Vox amps over the years and have had zero reliability issues with them. Three of the four sounded great and I still have (and love) the AC10. As I said earlier, my only issue was the AC15 simply needed to be a little bit louder to hang with a rock n roll drummer. The AC15 and AC30 are stupid heavy for their capabilities.

17. Byron

Byron Gretschie

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    So what about a solid state ac15. I thought it was ok, just trying to find out more about it. Any clues?

18. Byron

Byron Gretschie

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Sounded good to me and it was light

19. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Thanks. A very crude thing to say.

20. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    :( I couldn't locate the studio version (apart from the, slowed-down, A Hard Day's Night, movie version) on the www. Apparently, Apple Music has cracked down, and prohibited/blocked many Beatles videos/songs on YouTube.