Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Tell me about modern Vox amps, please.

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Uncle Daddy, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I'm a massive fan of Fender tweed amps, but Filters and tweed don't always work together well. I find them too middy as combination, with poor tone control. so what about Filters with Vox amps?

What do I need to know? I did see a handwired TV front AC15....would that be a good place to start?

2. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Tried a hard-wired AC30 and would have bought it if I'd had the money. It sounded terrific and seemed to be well made. Maybe I'm being grossly unfair, but I wouldn't trust any of the other current Vox offerings, particularly the solid state and modelling amps, for regular gigging use. A previous guitar player in our band had two Valvetronics amps -- both were unreliable, I'm sorry to say. Meanwhile my 1969 Traynor just sails serenely on.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  3. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    • I had a TV Front AC15 hand wired. Even after two visits to the amp tech it was still the noisiest amp I've ever owned. I kept it for a couple of months and traded it on a ValveTrain. Best trade ever.

4. 1883

1883 Gretschie

Apr 12, 2015
    Aotearoa
    Dynasonics and AC15 blue are a good match to my ears...

Chinese build, no noise, only good noise!

5. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've found only two drawbacks to my AC15. One is the weight. The other, is the warranty, or lack thereof. The salesman told me that they weren't warrantied if you gig with them. Seriously? Like having a car that isn't warrantied if you take it on the street.

Other than that, it makes a Gretsch sound great!

Mudshark likes this.
  6. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    So true. I've owned the Chinese built AC15's and they sound great. I found the two draw backs were "heavyweight" and not quite enough juice for a live rock n roll band.

7. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    england
    What's style do you play?

8. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I don't own either but what I've heard is that fenders tend to be more scooped high mid, Vox scooped low mid. So which mids you trying to get rid of?

9. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I wouldn't play guitar unless I could use a VOX tube amp. I have owned many AC4s/15s/30s for the last 30 years. I use a G6122-1962 with 2 neck filtertrons.

Like...

upload_2017-8-11_16-38-8.jpeg upload_2017-8-11_16-43-19.jpeg [​IMG]

My favorite has been this AC4HW1 with Celestion Blue alnico:

upload_2017-8-11_16-44-32.jpeg

You need the Celestion Blue alnico for the true/classic/original VOX sound.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  10. personatech

personatech Electromatic

Apr 27, 2010
    Roanoke Rapids, NC
    Look for a used Genz Benz Black Pearl. It's essentially an American-built AC30/Matchless DC30 with additional features giving it a LOT more flexibility.

11. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    I LOVE Vox amps, and I do understand the complaints in regards to some of the NON-handwired models. That being said, I think they do sound very good, particularly the AC10 Custom from Sweetwater that comes with a Celestion Greenback. It's only $499 and sounds great.
    I have played through the now discontinued Vox Heritage issued AC30 and AC15 models. They came in Cream tolex versions and solid Mahogany. The Mahogany models are two of the best sounding amps I've ever heard or played through. They were handwired and are amazingly flexible in the tone they offer, from chimey cleans to balls out dirt.

Vox is soon to ship their anniversary AC30 an AC15 time period accurate series. They are both handwired and basically clones of the best single examples Vox could find of an original late '50's AC15 and early '60's AC30. I've only seen videos but they sound amazing but are EXPENSIVE! We're talking $3999 for the AC15 and $4999 for the AC30. But f you have the cash, go for it!

12. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
  13. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Too expensive.
    If you find a British made Vox from the 90s and it's in good shape that would be a good investment.
    I had a 1990 anniversary AC 30 amp that sounded great and was built very well.
    Never a problem with that amp and I gigged with it a lot.
    I got rid of it just because I have a 1965 AC 30 and didn't need to keep both of them.
    I still have my 1998 AC 15 - have done lots of live gigs and sessions with that amp and it still sounds great (not as good as my 1965 AC 30) but it gets close.
    Some one mentioned using the Vox (Celestion) blue speakers - I agree 100%.
    Those speakers are the only ones that will give you that true vintage Vox sound.
    Vintage 30s & Green backs sound good with the AC 30 but they just don't have that 60s Vox vintage vibe that the Celestion Blues will give you.

14. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Silverface and Blackface Fender amps have that mid scoop. The Tweed amps are the other way round, with thick mids and a massive bottom with buckers. They came from a time when Leo had developed the Telecaster and then the Strat, so the voicing of Tweed and Tele naturally works well together. Try something that's already thicker, like a hollow body or something with thicker pups, you can get something that's too warm and difficult to compensate for wth the smaller amps as the often have no bass or mid controls.

15. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    George Harrison with a 1962/3 Gretsch G6122 Country Gentleman with PAF Filtertron pickups, using a hand-made quality cable, through a 1963 VOX AC30 Top Boost with Mullard (?) Tubes and Celestion Blue alnico speakers:

16. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Country Gent

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    My Sweetwater Sales tech told me the build quality was poor. Who knew I was looking at a Vox, a Fender, and a Supro. He steered we away from the Vox. He actually leaned more towards the Supro but I went with the Fender.

17. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I've been using the modern ones for many years. I haven't had any major issues with them. I strongly disagree that the build quality is poor. The hand-wired and pcb VOX tube amps have worked very well for me, and can sound like the vintage ones with the right tubes and Celestion Blue alnico speakers.

The AC30TB/TBX and AC30CC2/2X have an unnecessary standby circuit. It can be easily defeated by keeping the standby switch in the "on" position; the rectifier tube is sufficient to warm up the amp.

TSims1 likes this.
  18. blc45

blc45 Country Gent

Aug 23, 2011
    nc
    I played a Vox A15-c2 for a couple of years with no problems at all. Sounded great just to heavy for me.

19. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    OMG Zacky :)
    You are a seriously obsessed man.
    It's very rare to see someone so totally locked into one brand of.......anything :)

20. zebulon

zebulon Gretschie

Aug 8, 2017
    oxford
    It seems as though the Beatles are dying in the wrong order.