Tele vs Strat

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Flouswa, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

To be honest, I'm not really thinking too much about price at this point. It's still a ways down the road, and if I like one well enough over another, I might be willing to spend a bit more. We'll see.

thunder58 likes this.
  2. stevemorrison

stevemorrison Synchromatic

Jun 3, 2011
    Dundee, SCOTLAND
    Been a Strat player for a long long time (since 1980/81) but I also like a Tele, they both have pros and cons, the first guitar I bought when I started working was a thinline Tele, but soon moved onto the Strat (blame Buddy Holly for that :) ).

These days though the Strat is confined to the cupboard and the Gretsch gets played all the time.

3. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Sounds like me and my 12 ..... ' a ways down the road "

Flouswa likes this.
  4. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

I think you'll have yours before I do!

thunder58 likes this.
  5. peterjcb

peterjcb Gretschie

Nov 28, 2017
    USA
    start with a MIM tele....relative inexpensive and IMO just as good as the American made models.

That's how I started...then I installed Original Tele PUPS and a vintage brass bridge and vinatge.tuners and it still didn't cost that much.
    It's one of my favorite guitars and I own three Strats including a CS.
    You will eventually get a Strat because that are pretty incredible also.....:)
    Good Luck!

peter_telecaster_Hallligans.jpg

Flouswa likes this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    probably .......

7. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    When you start trying them out pay attention to the different body woods. I think one of the lightest most resonant instruments I have is the Aerodyne with the basswood body. I find quite a large difference between my two Strats and body wood is certainly a major contributing factor. And make sure t try both vintage and the newer hot noiseless pups quite different but good.

Flouswa likes this.
  8. chicago slim

chicago slim Gretschie

Dec 27, 2008
    Bowling Green, KY
    I got bit by the Green Strat bug, this year. My G6120SHP is up for sale and my PRS guitars sit in their cases. My Tele's and G&L ASAT Classic's are long gone.

PS: They gook great with a Blonde amp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JC higgy, TSims1, audept and 2 others like this.
  9. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Had a pile of Strats, bunch of Tele's. Ain't got no Strats now, couple Tele"s though.

10. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    3 different greens! What color is that bottom one?

11. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  12. dankas11

dankas11 Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    Croatia
    I have bouth. Very different guitars. For me, my AVRI 52 Tele is my favourite guitar. NEver get used on Strat even though I love that 50'neck on it but never liked any other sound on Strant then neck pickup. All other positions are not my cup of tea. SOund of tele....hell yeah!

13. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Synchromatic

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    So there you have it, the answer is BUY BOTH! Now what are the chances that we would all come up with that solution??!!!

LivingMyDream and Flouswa like this.
  14. MikeyUK

MikeyUK Synchromatic

Dec 15, 2016
    Rochdale, GB
    I mean BOTH and a Jet. What was I thinking of?

LivingMyDream and Flouswa like this.
  15. Stonepicking

Stonepicking Electromatic

Sep 14, 2018
    Portsmouth uk
    I've had and still got both a strat and Tele. I always say strat but I realise I've had more teles over the years. My main guitar for the last 5 years has been my Kingbee strat. I bought this before Louis the owner of Kingbee guitars got into money troubles. It is, without doubt the best guitar I've ever played. Including my old custom shop, original 62 and anything I've tried in shops. It just sings on the neck and has an amazing, biting chime on the bridge. I am also haunted by the memory of my old 70's deluxe and custom I sold as I needed money but that's another story. Teles are great and are surprisingly versatile, I have a 62 custom reissue which is sweet. It's oranges and apples really!

16. chicago slim

chicago slim Gretschie

Dec 27, 2008
    Bowling Green, KY
    It's the Adorama limited run, American Special in Mystic Seafoam Green Metallic. I was able to snag it for $699. I couldn't pass on it, at that price. It's my favorite sounding Strat. So, I put my favorite Fender neck (from a Blacktop Strat), on it.

It all started when I bought a Surf Green, Classic 50 Strat, at full price. The next three were on sale.

[​IMG]

My FSR Standard, got the American Standard neck. And, my Sherwood Green, CV50 got the MIM Standard neck. I drive people nuts, who have to read the head stock on a Fender, before they play. Most are unable to tell the difference.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  17. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Tele for me any day!!!
    The ultimate Rock’n’Roll workhorse!

Never got on with Strats.. Eric Clapton put me right off ‘em! Boring old f**t lol ;)

dankas11 and kt66 like this.
  18. kt66

kt66 Gretschie

Jan 21, 2016
    London
    After playing for 30 years I recently got my first Fenders, a MIM Standard Strat and MIJ Paisley Tele.
    Being mainly a Gretsch and Rickenbacker player, the drop in quality is surprisingly quite noticeable, they definitely are "working tools" but the Tele twangs like anything, great fun and looks wonderful.

The Strat? the volume pot is in the wrong place, my hand always knocks it, it's alright, just a bit boring and doesn't scream "pick me up" But it looks awfully a lot like Buddy Holly's, so it fills that space. He had my favourite Strat tone

I couldn't have either as my only guitar.

englishman and Trash Kidd like this.
  19. chicago slim

chicago slim Gretschie

Dec 27, 2008
    Bowling Green, KY
    Strat for an Alder guitar, Tele for a light weigh Ash guitar. You may have to search a while, to find a light weight Tele.

20. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    The Fender are ordinary, seen everywhere, too pricey... :eek: o_O

I sold my bought new US2012 Std Strat and kept my 2nd hand craiglist closet Squier Std 2009, that I modded to be the spare of the US2012 : the Squier was way much better sounding... :confused:

No, it's not a joke... :)

I bought the same day the used Squier and the brand new 2012 - here they are at arrival :
    [​IMG]

My intention was to compare the instruments and make the Squier as close as possible to tha US2012 in tone, playability and set-up, in order to use her as a spare for the US2012 on stage - here are the mods that I have done :
    [​IMG]

Finally - after modding - the Squier proved to be equal in playability to the US, and much warm, resonant, sensitive and crisp sounding than the US...
    [​IMG]

The US sounded bright but dull, lifeless, mid-scooped in comparison. I even swapped the pickguards to check (both pickguards had the same loading) and no matter : the good tone stayed in the Squier... So the Fender US had to go, leaving the place to the Squier :
    [​IMG]

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

LivingMyDream, Flouswa and Henry like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice