Tele vs Strat

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Flouswa, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

I'm thinking that my next guitar is going to be a Fender, but I'm undecided on which model. What are some of the advantages/disadvantages of the Telecaster or the Stratocaster that some of you have found? I'm used to a Stratocaster neck already because my California series Sonoran has the same neck. Would love to hear ideas and input!

2. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Buy a Jet with Dynasonics.

3. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    8c779cd06fdd8b1f4579464491d04300.jpg
    I'm completely biased BTW. Tele.

4. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Everyone needs a Telecaster. It's the LAW!

Seriously, go try them both out. The Strat is more ergonomic with more sounds and the Tele is a timeless classic . I prefer unbound Teles as they are more comfortable on the forearm.

[​IMG]

peterjcb, TW4990, TSims1 and 3 others like this.
  5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ignore the Strat, get a Jazzmaster. And what Eman said about Teles. That's why I have ~5 of them. An offset Telemaster is incoming. For some reason none are stock anymore ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Alberta_Slim and Flouswa like this.
  6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Since Fender necks are awailable in various profiles on Teles and Strats the neck is not the main criteria here.
    A Stratocaster is quite a different guitar than a Tele.
    Both are fine all-around instruments that cover many styles. (The Strat is even more versatile with it`s three pickups. The pickups are totally different to a Tele`s. Weaker and more biting.)
    The Stratocaster is far more ergonomic. The tremolo is a strong buying argument, too.

Remember there are hundreds of models out there be it Stratocaster or Telecaster. They differ in weight, neckprofile, pickups, fretboard-wood etc..

I suggest to try an bunch of them and decide for yourself.

Charlie westside likes this.
  7. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Never cared for Tele’s until I picked this one up. $ for $, can’t beat a good one. Easiest playing guitar I’ve ever stroked and the first solid body ever mass produced.

Strat’s the sexiest feeling guitar I’ve ever owned and this one has the finest neck I’ve ever played. 9-1/2-14” compound radius, ‘C’-‘D’ compound shape on the back of the neck.

But, the Strats still the toughest guitar for my right hand due to the bridge setup and volume control knob as I grew up on Les Paul’s and over the years rested my hand on the bridge and stop bar...poor habit.

I also prefer the blended sound of both pickups on the Tele over any of the blended tones on the Strat.

E89538D3-A628-4235-B59E-7FF1A567D736.jpeg

8. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Here's my thinking. You're going to want at least one of each eventually. To get the best bang for your buck, look at buying used. If you're going vintage, be ready and get whichever one comes up at the right price.

The same would apply to current models. I would be looking at AVRIs or their more recent equivalents (AV, PV etc.)

Fender AVRIs are really great guitars so you won't go wrong with any of them. I have teles, strats, JMs and a Jaguar and am a very happy person.

9. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Hi Flo. I have a Strat. I love my Grestsch and I love my Strat. I find that I can just about emulate the Tele sound with my Gretsch Jet. It's a very versatile guitar. I have played different styles of music. The Pretenders , Jin Blossoms, Cars, Tom Petty, even Bands like AC/DC, Creed.....I have used my Strat for all of this music and It's been great!! I used a Tele one night when invited to sit in with a friends band. I was in the audience so had to use my friends guitar. Although I really enjoyed playing it, I liked the sound of my Strat more versatile with a faster and more comfortable neck Which is a c profile. I will be honest. I am partial to my Highway 1 Strat. The neck feels like butter. I changed out the pups to noisless. My Jet is just as versitile and I A/B them during performances.
    If you go the way of strats. May I suggest 2 strats that are available ?
    The 1st is the American Special. This is the Highway 1 renamed (excellent guitar made in the US). The second is the Fender Standard Strat made in Mx. This guitar is every bit as good as a US made Strat. Truly affordable with all of the classic Strat appointments it gets excellent reviews. I'm sure the Teles are great But you already get that sound with your Gretsch. Good luck whichever guitar you choose Tele or Strat. It will be the right one for you. Spend a lil time test driving each one. Go into a local shop and pick a good amp and try all channels dirty and clean.
    Good luck.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    LivingMyDream and Howard hughes like this.
  10. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I have both, I like both. Stock, I like the tone on my strat more, but it is an Eric Clapton strat with mid boost. Ergos, I much prefer the Tele. Don’t be turned off by mim Fenders, there is very little difference in them compared to American. My Tele is mim and is a great guitar.

The buy used comment is a good one, lots of them to pick from but be aware the Fender starts and Teles are the most counterfeited guitars on the used market. Spend some time on the Tele and strat forum and learn to identify counterfeit ones and don’t be afraid to post a question about a possible purchase on those forums, members enjoy sorting out counterfeit ones.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  11. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    They are honestly pretty dissimilar, so go play some and see what you think. Truth be told, any man worth his mud has one of each in his collection.

12. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Also look outside of Fender. Consider the "other Fender", G&L.

13. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I agree the necks are pretty similar. I prefer a Strat. I like the placement of the volume control. It's hard though, very different beasts. The compressed Tele bridge pickup setup is a thing of beauty... in the right hands. The Strat is comfortable and gives many diverse sounds.

14. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I find the Strat more comfortable myself,but i'm having a nice time playing my current recently bought 52 Tele,only my 3rd Tele in 30 odd years,but the best one.

I've had 5 Strats in the same time,even though the middle pickup is in the way.:confused::D

Sound is a personal thing,ya need to play'em.

15. Howard hughes

Howard hughes Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    I don't know why leo fender thought it was a good idea not to connect the bridge pickup to the tone pot on strats? do modern strats have a connection now? that's something to think about if you use tone? i used to have to wire the pots together myself on every strat i had, still love em though. i didn't go ahead with the classic 70's fender strat in the end, i really think i have become a tele guy now and i never used to like them at all. a tele has got to have an f hole for me, and its got to be a pretty color! they look quite bland normal in my opinion, you gotta make up for the lack of curves! add more elegance to it with pearloid or something. what guitars play and sound like has never bothered me, i know that sounds crazy but it's gotta look good first, ill get used to the sound and feel later, I guess i am superficial?

16. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Tele's do a better sound of getting crunchy and have twang as well as some single coil sweetness in the neck pickup. Strats (to me) have a bunch of sound choices, but in a narrower band of tone. Really quite different the two I think.

17. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Strats are better ergonomically, the best in fact. Teles are not as versatile but the sounds they make are heavenly. You really need both but I'd get the Strat first. My 1973 Strat has endured a lifetime of play including 25 years full time and never, not once, let me down. I am an unabashed devotee.

By the way, both are brute tough and will endure conditions that would destroy a lesser guitar.

Robbie and Charlie westside like this.
  18. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I'll admit, I am someone that has zero interest in Strats and Teles - that's how I wound up with Gretsch.
    A guitar I've been GASing for is the Albert Lee. It's neither a strat nor tele, but has some qualities of both.

[​IMG]

19. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    The Albert Lee is magnificent. I have a MM90 (P90) model and I'm also trying to add the standard single coil to my collection. Great choice Henry, I bet it slays through your Mesa.

TSims1, Henry and Charlie westside like this.
  20. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    '58 Jazzmaster 60th Anniversary. Drool...

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice