Taming the Beast!

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Uncle Daddy, Dec 6, 2018 at 5:57 AM.

1. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    So I built this 5e3 back in the summer, with an idea of trying to get low volume saturation using a smaller O/T and so on, along with some bass tightening mods as I found hollowbodies and tweed amps don't really mix. What I ended up with was still way middy, with the breakup still flipping loud. I added the EC Tremolux 1/4 power switch with an added twist that drops it to about 10% output by shunting the signal through some large resistors. One tenth power equals about half volume, so half of flipping loud is quite loud. Still not enough so today I added a master volume which cancels some of the phase inverter via a 1 meg pot. This must be about the easiest mod I've done yet. I'd left the secondary output jack empty for just this kind of mod. I can reach the new MV knob through the cutout on the cab, and now I can get Malcom's Marshall sound at TV volumes. Sort of! At that low a level it starts to get a bit thinner, but it's still ggrrrry enough to have some fun with. Two wires and a pot. That easy.

5e3_Trainwreck_3_PPI_Master_Volume_Mod_small.png

Today I also dropped the first coupling caps down even more, cos I hate huge bass and mmmphy mids. After trying 0.04, and 0.022 I settled on 0.01uF and now those annoying lower mids are in the dustbin of history. What I've ended up with may no longer be a true "Tweed Deluxe" but it's good enough for me.

P1120519.JPG

P1120521.JPG

MKunie, audept and Lionpotato like this.
  2. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Electromatic

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    Nice build! Tweaking circuits is very fun but can also be frustrating. Honestly there is no right or wrong. If you like the sound it’s right. I’ve spent untold hours behind a soldering gun tweaking. It’s a great learning experience. You also find designers of those classic circuits did the same thing. Their amps would slowly evolve. Fender is a great example from tweed to blackface.

3. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    The low mid mud might not work well with a hollow body but it does wonders with a Telly & a Strat. Obviously Leo had his own guitars in mind when he designed the 5E3 and other amps from that era. The Telly through a 5E3 was a match made in heaven...:D

4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Well done.
    There is much to love about a 5e3.
    I have a genius friend who is building tubeamps.
    He managed to clone my vintage JTM45 for his own arsenal.
    After this project he fell in love with the 5e3 circuit.
    His recent creation is a mash-up between a 5e3 and a JTM45. This thing is the bomb.
    I would love being able to build amps but I am way too heavy handed.
    So both thumbs up for your work, Uncle Daddy.

Uncle Daddy likes this.