Talk to me about Magnatones

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by not_man_davo, Feb 21, 2020.

1. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Synchromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    I recently went to a concert where the guitar player played through a new Magnatone and I don't know that I have ever heard anything quite as amazing as that thing. His was a stereo, but I have found a Twilighter head and cab that I need to go play, but that may not be for a week or so. Does anyone have any experience with these, and if so, is it worth me getting all lathered up over one? Is the head and cab any better/worse than a combo in this case? Will my neighbors hate me because it begs to be played loud? Any insight at all is much appreciated.

2. EdwardsKim

EdwardsKim Gretschie

May 11, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    The Panoramic Stereo combo is the best amp I've ever played!

not_man_davo likes this.
  3. not_man_davo

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    That's what this dude was playing through and I swear, it kinda broke my heart. It was a local soul band, and when he fired his SG through it my brother actually laughed at me because my jaw actually dropped open and I just stared. I've been trying to find a video since the show, but so far no luck.

4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I never played or heard one in person but Billy Gibbons is a heavy promotor of these. He used a complete Magnatone backline on his recent tour (but actually played through his trusty Marshall jmp1 into a poweramp of the same maker) . So they are at least great lookers, that`s for sure.

Rusty Silver and not_man_davo like this.
  5. not_man_davo

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    Yeah, Billy's super 59s are mega-cool looking. He has a whole bank of pink and green checkered ones that are the coolest looking amps I have ever seen. I think it might be impossible to say no to one like that if it ever came along.

[​IMG]

6124Bassman and new6659 like this.
  6. Echocat23

Echocat23 Electromatic

Jan 4, 2018
    Kansas City
    Bass player/sound engineer friend of mine has an old one. Im not sure the model or year at all. It sounds so good good its sickening. Really and truly unforgettably good.

not_man_davo likes this.
  7. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    Stop it. You guys are killing me. Like I need another item I can’t live without! The newer ones have a little different tone (maybe a little thinner and brighter) than their vintage counterparts....at least on YT which is a horrible way to listen to anything. Although I do have a pretty good ear and lots of amp experience. But definitely would love to hear I person.

j.s.c and not_man_davo like this.
  8. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Want one ever since watching those Phil X vids. I just think PCB(repeat 3x) , it helps, so far.

Edit: not saying they are. Just what I tell myself!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    not_man_davo likes this.
  9. not_man_davo

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    I've never been lucky enough to get close to a vintage one, but having heard Chris do his thing with a new one moved it from the "that's sure a cool amp" to the "what organ do i have 2 of but only need one" list.

This isn't the show I was at, but it does feature the amp in question. Like you say, youtube isnt a great place to discern quality audio, but the band is the best I've seen in YEARS so what the heck.

10. CaliforniaSlim

CaliforniaSlim Gretschie

Jul 21, 2016
    Ran across this on youtube and it made me want that amp.

jagROAR_63, wabash slim, Zeek and 3 others like this.
  11. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I need to play one in person because the You Tube demos don't impress me at all.
    At $2,700 I'm even less impressed.

12. not_man_davo

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    Yeah, they are definitely dear, but what I heard the other night made it seem like a reasonable price. Also, if you can find a used one, the prices aren't quite as eye-watering.

This is what I'm talkin' about! That sounds great to me even on this 10 year old laptop!

13. Buckyboy

Buckyboy Electromatic

I had a Twilighter and a Super V. Awesome amps! They ended up being more than I needed and I could not justify keeping them around as they are pricey. However, if you need that amount of wattage they are great amps. Of course there is nothing more subjective than how gear sounds from one person to the next.

not_man_davo likes this.
  14. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
  15. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Hey, cool song!

not_man_davo likes this.
  16. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  17. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Electromatic

Feb 17, 2010
    St. Louis
    Heard a Varsity Reverb a couple times...scorcher of an amp.

Since they are based here in St. Louis. I see them used as a backline from time to time.

not_man_davo likes this.
  18. afire

afire Country Gent

I don't know if this will help or hurt, but here's what's inside:
    [​IMG]

Ricochet and not_man_davo like this.
  19. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    PCB tube mount instead of flying leads. Very bad design. Those traces have a high probability of going bad.

Ricochet and not_man_davo like this.
  20. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Couldn't tell too much about the amp, but that is one Hell of a band!

not_man_davo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice