Talk me out of a 6120-RHH (Horton Heat)!

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by RG7X, Jan 21, 2020.

What would you do?

1. Stick with the G6120-BSHR (Hot Rod)

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. Buy a G6120-RHH (Horton Heat)

25 vote(s)
    86.2%
  3. Buy an American Professional Telecaster

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    First world problems...

I own a couple of the two-tone Hot Rods and sold all of my other guitars because quite frankly, it's probably the best guitar I've ever personally played and I'm very happy with the tone. I'm in the zone for an American Professional Telecaster but I've also always had an itch for the G6120-RHH model. Searching for something different to compliment my Hot Rods. I'm actually a huge Reverend Horton Heat fan and love Jim Heath's playing. I just caught Reverend Horton Heat again the other night and the orange fever came back...

Is it worth the upgrade from a Hot Rod? I like more grit / bite in my style (50's rock/rockabilly/psychobilly) and I've been very pleased with the Hot Rods overall quality, extra depth, Setzer sigs, etc. I'm thinking the Tele at half the cost would be a bitter fit but every now and then I find a good deal on a RHH and then it passes me up because I talk myself out of it... I can't find anywhere to try one out. I play through a Mesa Lone Star Special (LSS) and the second channel does have a lot of bass that needs to be tamed.

Here's why I talk myself out of it:

- Most expensive guitar I've ever considered purchasing and never tried it out
    - Worried lacquer will be gummy / sticky when my hands sweat during playing
    - I've read several threads here that mention howling feedback and tuning issues w/ large headstock
    - Not sure I'll get the desired growl / twang from the tone post and pickup combo

2. southpaw185

southpaw185 Electromatic

Jul 13, 2017
    San Diego
    I wouldn't worry so much about feedback if it was me because the Reverend seems to do just fine with it. I'd try to find a way to play one first, but since you have 2 hot rods it couldn't hurt to add some variety so I say go for it.

MKunie and RG7X like this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Trade one Hotrod for a RHH, you’d still have one Hotrod left. First two options, check. With the money you saved, get the Tele, option 3 check. Tadaa...

4. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Yeah man, DO IT!
    I say this because I kinda want one :D

I wouldn't worry about feedback. You see how the Rev does playing his thru a dimed amp. He never seems to have issues.
    I have a White Falcon with nothing but a post, and I play it very loud. I get some feedback, but it's good feedback, fun feedback.

Also, I though the RHH model had trestle bracing?

RG7X likes this.
  5. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  6. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    ^This!^

Ricochet and RG7X like this.
  7. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Gretschie

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    Of course I say get the RHH! It’s an awesome guitar. It has tv classics in it though so would it really offer much tone difference? Jim Heath himself says.....go for the tele
    upload_2020-1-21_19-3-57.jpeg

larryb and RG7X like this.
  8. Daktari9

Daktari9 Gretschie

Dec 17, 2010
    Australia
    Get it

9. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Just got mine on Saturday so im totally smitten. I love love love the growl, but it sounds like you have the growl you want from your Hot Rods.
    Ive driven it and cranked it and dont find it to be a howler but it gives me really nice harmonic feedback when i want it to.
    Killer guitar. Absolutely killer.
    Expensive piece of kit though. no regrets

RG7X and G5422T like this.
  10. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I think it is one of the most beautiful 6120’s ever produced. I’m a sucker for those inlays.

And it sounds pretty darn tasty

MKunie, Echocat23 and RG7X like this.
  11. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I need the buy both option to vote!

Ok Ok I voted RHH!

T Bone and RG7X like this.
  12. Zeek

Zeek Synchromatic

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    The Rev my vote

RG7X likes this.
  13. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Can't you guys read? You were supposed to talk me out of it! :cool:

Anyone own / have experience with the both the Hot Rod and RHH?

MKunie and G5422T like this.
  14. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Get an Eddie Cochrane for more different pickups and still get western kitsch. It will scratch the twang itch.

MKunie, CousinWarsh and RG7X like this.
  15. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I don't have either. I got hit in the head with a Hot Rod. A Phoenix.

Shoot, I can't talk myself out of stuff at times! Lol

16. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Got it. But I read it as "talk me into an RHH". Reading between the lines.

Love mine and never regretted it. But I bought it used, so if I had to sell it, no depreciation. I find it more versatile than my Hot Rod (Antifreeze Green Sparkle) with Setzers. Like that one a lot, but the RHH wins in my book.

As for feedback, no issue here. Tested it for another Member with my Deluxe Reverb Reissue with everything dimed, just a few feet away and with a Detroit Casket for mild overdrive and it was quite controllable. Then that Member got one and said it howled loudly and he was stuffing the body. Don't know what the difference was there.

Mine is a 2014 model. I don't know if they have ever changed bracing on them. The site currently says Parallel Tone Bars, Trestle Bracing. Not sure what they mean, in the past I only recall seeing Parallel Tone Bars mentioned. When I look in mine, I see Parallel Tone Bars and a Tone Post.

For me the large headstock doesn't seem to be a problem. Think I may recall a post with Tavo saying it was for him when he had one? I may be mistaken.

Bottom line, I suggest trying to find one to try. Or, take a chance. Or find a used one and make sure you get a fair price on it, so if you don't like it you can sell it off without a big (or any) loss. I will never regret getting mine.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    RG7X likes this.
  17. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Great write-up. Thank you for taking the time to help out. You have a great memory because you're pointing to a lot of the threads I'm referring to. I really wish I could find one to try out but they're hard to find. If I get one, I'm definitely going used like almost everything I own. Resell market has been rough for me lately.

T Bone likes this.
  18. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    I really considered it at one point... personally couldn't get over that gold hardware and I have a slight preference towards the ebony fretboard.

Henry and T Bone like this.
  19. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    RHH are super sweet. I’ll point out that in the very first sentence you state you’re very happy with the tone of your Hot Rods. Does that include the neck shape as well? If so, I wouldn’t sell the Hot Rod until you personally can get your hands on a RHH to try out the neck shape. Although it could back fire and add fuel to your GAS. Let’s see these two tone Hot Rods in question.

RG7X and Echocat23 like this.
  20. mschafft

mschafft Synchromatic

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    You are very happy with what you've got. Soooooo....
    - don't part with it.
    - consider resale value on any new acquisition.

As for the diagnosis I'm afraid you not only caught Reverend Horton Heat, you also present a typical case of G.A.S... Remember that whatever you will play on your new guitar you can probably play better on your HotRods.

RG7X likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice