Take A Look At My Nut?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Ian4242, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Ian4242

Ian4242 Electromatic

Mar 8, 2019
    USA
    So as a follow up to my previous post, are there glaring issues you can see with my nut? Could you show me how to identify them if there are? I've never owned a guitar with this kind of a tuning issue before and I'm kind of fretting about it (haha).

Attached Files:

2. dlew919

dlew919 Gretschie

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I think the strings need to be parallel with the top of the nut. Others will confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    What I have had happen on my nuts is on the fretboard side make sure none of the nut area is undercut away from the fretboard. This will slightly increase string length and cause a weird tuning issue up the neck. Where the string leaves the nut to the tuners I tend to work my nut slot so the string can leave the nut at a better angle towards the tuning machine. If it is rubbing on the edge of a nut slot going straight through it can catch at times. You may also hear it pop while tuning it up if it is catching or when using the Bigsby heavily. Those are things I have had happen on my own guitars.

dlew919 likes this.
  4. radd

radd Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Hard to tell but it looks like there is no flair on the tuner side of each nut slot and it looks like the strings could easily be binding there.

I would just spend the $ and have it professionally dressed.

Jena, dlew919 and calebaaron666 like this.
  5. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I agree with @radd. I’d bring it to someone to dress it for you. It’s a nerve-racking experience having a guitar that can’t keep tune.

dlew919 likes this.
  6. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    For starters I would take a millimeter off the top of the nut. Strings run over a nut, not through.
    If anything the string notches look a bit too wide but clearly binding at the exitpoint (tuner side)
    Like the notches have been cut parallel to the fretboard where they should be cut in the same angle as the headstock.

DennisC, Jena, TSims1 and 2 others like this.
  7. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Which is the reason I favor narrow headstocks like the Jet 1962 doublecut versions with very straight string pull through to the tuners. No "tone detours" !

radd likes this.
  8. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I'm completely baffled by well respected booteeky builders who take liberties with exotic string angles.

audept likes this.
  9. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    The slots/grooves appear to be cut too deep, and as mentioned above the slots also need to be opened up on the back(tuner)side. Hopefully the bottom of the slots are smooth as well, and be liberal with the lube.

This is a very simple and inexpensive fix in the hands of a good tech. Go get a properly dressed nut and you’ll discover a world of difference. Good luck!

dlew919 and audept like this.
  10. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Tuning issues are always a matter of friction. Angled strings cause friction. On first sight it looks like the string-angle on your nut is very sharp. This and the shape of the slots could cause your tuning problem.
    (The shape of the slots should not be rounded and not v-shaped. It schould be more like rectangular with a little v on the sides. So the string will only touch the nut at the very botton and the sides of their diameter.)

11. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Take a look at my nut, its the only one i got. Not much of a nut, doesn't seem to get alot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice