Join Gretsch-Talk Today

T-Armonds on a G2420T

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by Dave-B, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    Last year I bought a G2420 from eBay which had been upgraded with T-Armonds. They had been fitted with thin plastic gaskets (to cover the factory screwholes). Kinda cheap looking, and the pickups were way too low...

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 16.21.59.png

I tried making risers from 5mm mouse-mat material. This worked initially, but over time the material compressed, curled up at the edges, and looked equally cheap.

So, today I finally fixed things properly, via the wonders of 3D printing. First, I printed two thin 1mm gaskets, big enough to cover the factory pickup holes and thin enough to conform to the curves of the top. Then I separately printed two risers, measured precisely to bring the pickups up to the ideal height.

P1010007.JPG

The riser for the bridge pickup is angled to compensate for the curve of the body.

P1010006.JPG

I'm pretty pleased with the results:

P1010011.JPG

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Calula, Floo, Ricochet and 11 others like this.
  2. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Ooh, now that's pretty sharp-lookin' right there. It's givin' me ideas already. Well done!

3. Willie D

Willie D Gretschie

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    That is an innovative, well-executed, and beautiful solution. Bravo!

Now, what kind of bridge is that? I like it.

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Nice work! I've been wanting to do this at a local DIY club that lets members print out whatever they design. Steep membership costs though, but it also recently folded.

5. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    england
  6. Byron

Byron Gretschie

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    What height did the pup end up between the case and strings...and did you raise the poles? I ended up lowering mine a little and raising poles for twang. Didn’t like the rwonk

7. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    Sounds like I did the same - first worked on the pole heights to balance the volumes, then dropped the pickups to a healthy height. I posted about that a while back in a different thread.

It's a black Corian dBridge, a new design I've been messing with. Looks like polished ebony, sounds like bone.

8. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Looks great,i was toying with the idea of picking up one of those geets used and putting in some dog ear P-90's ,probably won't happen like...i have lots of ideas going round in my noggin ,most are never realised though.

9. GJuice

GJuice Electromatic

Aug 24, 2014
    newcastle, UK
  10. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Superb as usual, Dave!

11. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Great work, Dave!

12. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Gretschie

Oct 22, 2015
    Wow. I'm not much good at the mechanics of guitar set up or modification and I'm amazed at some of the handy stuff people on this forum do. How do you like the way the guitar sounds now?

13. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Wow, that looks outstanding!

14. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Good Job ! I gives me ideas...

A+!