T-Armond hum

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by Chmason85, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I'm getting real bad hum and this high pitched fast beeping sound on the neck and bridge pups individually on my 53 VS jet, but it goes away depending on where I stand, is this normal? Its very clear through playing, maybe I'm just too close to my amp? It doesnt really do it in the middle, are T-Armonds pretty susceptible to hum or do I perhaps have a ground issue? I dont think its ground because it doesnt go away when I touch the strings or controls, but comes and goes depending where I stand.

2. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    did you run a ground wire from the pickup body to ground? If not you need to and be sure you didnt break the ground lead running from the bridge or bigsby. High pitched fast beeping sound is electro magnetic interference.

3. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I havent done anything to it except add an extra riser to the bridge pickup, the guitar is stock with T-Armonds. If it were a grounding issue wouldnt the sound stop when I touch the strings? What is electro magnetic interference? I'm playing a new amp fwiw, and it happens through both my amps.

4. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Sound like you're too close to the amp. My TAs will do the same. They're not the quietest of pickups, by still better than Dynasonics.

Chmason85 likes this.
  5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Cell phone nearby? That sound you describe is similar to sounds of data packets hitting some live Dyna coils...

Chmason85 and Philtertronic like this.
  6. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    if a ground has broken between the bridge/bigsby then the strings are also no longer connected and if that is the case then hum would not cease until you touched the strings and the metal control knobs (assuming the pot shafts are metal and there is no nylon insert under the metal knobs. Aside from that, just because you got the guitar w the t-armonds does not mean the instrument is wired correctly or a solder joint hasnt gone awry breakin the ground lead from the pickup cases. All said, these large bobbin, slug mags are very susceptible to e.m.i (electromagnetic radiation/interference) and r.f.i. (radio frequency interference) = a disturbance generated by an external source that affects an electrical circuit by electromagnetic induction, electrostatic coupling, or conduction.

Newer versions of the T-armond have the middle position "humcancelling" w the neck pickup reverse wound. Early T-armonds did not, to my understanding. I'm also scratching my head as to which model Gretsch Jet came stock w T-armonds.

Bottom line, you need to be sure those covers are grounded (ie. the installer did a proper wiring job in the instrument)

Chmason85 likes this.
  7. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    The Vintage Select 53 has T Armonds.

Chmason85 likes this.
  8. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Does it still happen if you play in another location than your home?

9. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    Haven't played this outside of my house yet. Had this same rig when I lived in Kentucky but had only gotten it weeks before I moved back to PA, so I didn't notice if it was happening at that point.

10. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    Haha yeah, I had a phone near my amp to record some noodling and the sound is pretty clear on the recording