T-Armond DeArmond mount in g5420

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Samwham, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Samwham

Samwham Electromatic

Hey there.

I've decided to get some T-Armonds for my G5420, but not fond of the filtertron housed version aesthetically.

I know before this option became available people had to have been finding ways to mount dynasonics in their filtertron routed electromatics? Can't find any threads on the matter though. Can anyone give any suggestions or advice how to do so? Or point me in the direction of any adapters made to fit a regular sized dearmond and cover over a filtertron hole? I have the stock BT filtertron a if that makes any difference.

That vintage look is too cool I have to at least try.

Thanks

Andrew Griffin likes this.
  2. turbo2000

turbo2000 Gretschie

Aug 18, 2015
    Sweden
    I'm thinking of putting Dynasonics into my G5191 mounting them on to the 70's Baldwin era metal pickup rings. Like this...

2013-11-30131205-2.jpg

I guess it won't work with the plastic pickup rings but if you can find Baldwin era metal rings it might be an option...

I'm looking forward to see other solutions.

Andrew Griffin likes this.
  3. Samwham

Samwham Electromatic

I was thinking something similar to that as well. I might even be okay if they made metal surrounds for the filtertron mounts just to make them look more authentic but the plastic just looks strange to me

4. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    This is what i've seen guys do. Tavo did this. There are threads about this that you can search for ideas. Screenshot_2019-03-10-08-09-22-1.png

5. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    I fitted T-Armonds to my 2420 Streamliner with 3D printed shims + oversized gaskets to hide the original screw holes.

P1010011.JPG

P1010006.JPG

new6659, Merc, reverb11 and 3 others like this.
  6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I made my risers out of garolite. The issue with a G5420T is having enough room for the bridge pickup, they seem more shallow than older G5120s and the G2420s. You might be able to fit the pickups, but the pickup body might not be in the best position for the your preferred tone. Here’s my 2420:

2964DA87-6ED9-43CE-8357-5ED97582A797.jpeg

Andrew Griffin and emitex like this.
  7. Samwham

Samwham Electromatic

These all look great. Where can I buy some of these options to make the risers?

I'm a little unsure what you mean about the route by the bridge being too shallow btw, do you mean I may not be able to get the height right?

8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sorry, I mean the neck angle on the later G5420Ts is more shallow, so the strings rest closer to the body for a given action. I’m comparing the G5122 I owned to a 2012 5420 to a 2016. IME, DeArmond style’s have a sweet spot away from the strings, and the magnet heights themselves (high magnets, low coil sound). I had to think about the adapter plate taking away/adding needed adjustment height for the pickups. I got a little lucky with the G2420–it has a good string distance, with no additional shim needed (actually the bridge pickup has one of Dave-B’s high quality spacer shims). I found vintage DeArmond 2000T for the bridge that sits just about right from the strings for those magnets to my ears. I put a T-Armond in the neck position.

Here’s my 2016 Fairlane with T-Armond in filtertron sized mounts. I could tweak the heights all day with a few screw turns. Old school DeArmond mount not so much :)
    69088FEB-E975-46A1-AD88-5B8791CC9FCD.jpeg

9. Samwham

Samwham Electromatic

Nice wiggle stick. But thanks for the info, definitely something to consider.

What your saying is that you don't think it's possible to hit that "sweet spot" with dearmond mount on the 5420, or is it that you think it MIGHT not be able to hit the sweet spot and your just giving a little advice before I pull the trigger? Lol sorry the authentic dyna look is just too hot, so I gotta know if it's a lost cause before I consider getting filter mount.

Another stupid idea popped in yo head. Might get a T armond in the bridge with a Supertron in the neck also in dearmond mount. I'm not crazy I swear

10. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I’m saying it’s possible, but check before you go for it. TV Jones has his pickup dimensions posted online, so add the height to the thickness of the adapter plate material you use. I don’t like T-Armonds as close as Filtertrons, I like to drop the body a little and raise the poles (more twang). I’d say you want at least 3/16” or more of space from the pickup top to the strings to make it a ‘go’.

In other words, measure the distance on your guitar from the bottom of the strings to the top of guitar, in a location between the bridge pickup and bridge. Subtract the pickup height (0.56” for a T-A bridge pickup) and the adapter plate thickness. I

Samwham likes this.
  11. Samwham

Samwham Electromatic

Gotcha will do. I've been reading pole piece height Is key for the TA's rather than body height so Thanks for the warning and all the help

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice