Swing and jump blues instructional video

Discussion in 'Songs in the key of Gretsch' started by RocknRollShakeUp, Aug 11, 2019.

1. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    That's the one..
    I've gotten a lot out of it, probably more than any other TruFire course

2. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    David Blacker lesson- top ranking instruction

RocknRollShakeUp and Merc like this.
  3. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Cool. Keith Wyatt has been teaching blues for decades. I think he used to write for Guitar Magazine and had some instructional videos back in the days before internet.

RocknRollShakeUp likes this.
  4. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Followup: I spent about an hour this morning on the Wyatt video above. Very accessible. Goes quickly, and isn’t complicated.

RocknRollShakeUp and T Bone like this.
  5. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Always heard the name but never made time to listen. Thanks for posting.

6. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Nobody swings like Tommy Harkenrider, Kid Ramos and the Memphis Kings! :)
    kid ramos and tommy harkenrider.jpg

Thanks for posting on Keith btw!! Blasters are still going, I got their first album back in high school, I'm old too

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  7. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY

8. steb74

steb74 Gretschie

Jul 23, 2011
    Madrid, Spain
    Hi folks, here is a video that might be of use to some.
    It's one of my Youtube lessons where I look at some Swing/Bop ideas but in more of a Rockabilly context.
    Typical Charlie Christian ideas .....rhythmical punctuation, dominant 7th + 9th licks.
    The main goal with lessons like this are really to remind the player that more often that not they already possess the musical vocabulary needed, it's just a question of looking at it and applying it in a different context, etc.
    Cheers!

This is a 10 minute edit of the 25 minute lesson available at Patreon.
    https://www.patreon.com/posts/dominant-9th-001-28538064

9. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    This is a great thread. There are (for me) at least six months of lessons and learning time here.

RocknRollShakeUp and Merc like this.
  10. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Synchromatic

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    I watched the whole thing too. I think it is a great foundational video to get all of the basic details right! I could fake my way through a jump blues solo, but I am apparently a hack when it comes to the correct(!) chord voicings..I was playing way square chord shapes!

Merc likes this.
  11. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Thanks Gents! I'll be checking these out later fer'sho!

12. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Great links thanks!

Wow, the Blasters! You know when I immigrated from Eastern Europe to the USA in 1979 at 11 years old (God bless the USA btw, and sorry if that offends anyone), I landed in Downey CA. It wasn't too long after, in the early to mid 80s I think, that I heard that the Blasters were from Downey (and for a fact the Carpenters came out of Downey), but is that true of the Blasters? Anyway sorry for the aside, I guess I'm chatty this morning. But it's a shame that I didn't get into the Blasters as much as I should have. Great music, and Wyatt rocking a 54 Goldtop, I dig it!

And that Kid's got the touch!

Cool stuff.

Merc likes this.
  13. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Maybe it’s me, but no need to apologize if you offend anyone for saying God bless the USA. You’re not preaching and are in essence simply doing well wishes for a country and all of it’s people. If anyone is offended they should move along then.

This has been a great thread.

14. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Thank you very much for the supportive words. I'm not even that religious, and you'll get no preaching from Brother Shake Up don't worry! I guess it just spontaneously came out and I just rolled with it, didn't want to censor myself as I am very grateful and it was not easy to escape the Iron Curtain.

But yeah, back to regular programming!

So I guess it is a continuum from swing and jive style to jump blues, but would this be the transition point into bonafide jump blues, and even a sort of photo rocknroll? What d'yall think?

Also posting this one cause I think it may be a good tune to practice the jump blues guitar over this one. Gonna try it soon!

Merc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice