SURVEY : how many Lefty Guitar Player members are we ?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by hcsterg, May 11, 2019.

I am a Lefty Player...

1. ... A true one, appearing exactly like a Right-Handed in a mirror...

92.9%
  2. ... A reversed one, with reversed strings, à la Otis Rush, Dick Dale...

7.1%
  1. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    SURVEY : how many Lefty Guitar Player members are we ?

It's been a while since I have this idea... It seems that the number is increasing these times - thank you Gretsch !

- You are a true Lefty Player "like in a mirror" (the usual one, it's my personal case).
    [​IMG]
    - You are a reversed Lefty Player "your strings are Right-Handed" (à la Otis Rush, Dick Dale...)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No matter : in both case you are a Lefty Player... ;)

Please let me know so cast your vote :cool:, just for my curiosity. :D

A picture of you while playing is welcome, indeed ! :)

A+!

ishtar, T Bone, Jena and 3 others like this.
  2. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    I cannot vote. I am left handed, but play right handed guitars - by choice, not because I am ambidextrous.

When I first looked at a guitar as a beginner, I reasoned that the fretting hand does more complex work than the strumming hand. And therefore I should play a right handed guitar despite being left handed. And by extension, all other guitarists must be doing it wrong.

:D

ishtar, T Bone, Ricochet and 5 others like this.
  3. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Same here (lefty playing right). I came to the same conclusion myself.:cool:

ishtar, T Bone, hcsterg and 1 other person like this.
  4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I am a lefty that is educated as a righty.
    If you throw a ball at me I would grab is with my left hand.

A friend of mine is a -somehow genius- ambidex human.
    He is able to play right-handed- and lefthanded upside-donw stringed. He uses a spin-belt to stun the audience.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    ishtar, T Bone, hcsterg and 1 other person like this.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I believe @Jena is a lefty

ishtar, T Bone, Jena and 2 others like this.
  6. DannyB

DannyB Gretschie

Apr 26, 2019
    Michigan
    Hi I am a true lefty dont have a picture of me playing handy but here are pics of my 2622 left handed Streamliner. For the record, I chose Gretsch TO buy my first hollow body because they have a very good selection of left handed hollow body guitars, particularly in the left handed range, whereas Epiphone currently makes no left handed hollow bodies and Ibanez is down
    to only one left handed model. IMG_20190502_204742_hdr.jpg IMG_20190502_204637_hdr.jpg

Nubs, ishtar, T Bone and 1 other person like this.
  7. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Gretschie

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    Nubs, ishtar, T Bone and 3 others like this.
  8. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Gonna be a lonely thread man.......:D

ishtar and T Bone like this.
  9. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I'm a lefty who strings my guitars right handed. Why? Because when I was a kid there weren't any left handed guitars to be found here in Baltimore. My folks bought me right handed guitars and so I flipped them over and learned off of chord charts. That was around 1967-68.
    In 1973 I got my first true left hand guitar a 1973 Gibson Les Paul Custom. I waited 9 months for it. When my dad brought it home from the music store I was in bed with pneumonia. I was determined to learn the proper way but after about a week I realized I was too far gone. When I got better I took it back to the shop and had them reverse the nut and strings on the guitar and I never looked back...:). I own 6 left handed guitars and 12 right handed ones. I once had a true lefty ask me why I would do such a thing to an expensive left handed guitar - I laughed at him and told him "because I really wanted to play it"...:D

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  10. 53Rockets

53Rockets Electromatic

Oct 14, 2018
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I'm a right handed person who plays left handed. It always made sense to me, using my dominant right hand to do the more intricate work of fretting notes...playing left handed always seemed completely natural.

ishtar, T Bone, Ricochet and 3 others like this.
  11. GitBox Newbie

GitBox Newbie Electromatic

Dec 18, 2014
    NYC
    Another lefty playing righty, for the same reason.

You righties are doing it WRONG!!

T Bone and hcsterg like this.
  12. Dostegrar

Dostegrar Country Gent

Nov 5, 2013
    Delta,b.c.
    FB_IMG_1527390474365.jpg About 10 years ago I was going on a fishing trip with my buddy who was a right handed guitar player. I didn't play at the time. We left at 9 am on a Friday to beat the rush. I was towing a 19' travel trailer with 2 year old 2017 Ford f150. We were driving up the coquihala highway (the "highway to hell" from the t.v. show) and were just reaching the top of the bear shed hill when my pos ford blew a tranny. It was around noon.
    I called the nearest dealer and they towed my truck back to whence we came, leaving me, my buddy, a travel trailer and a right handed guitar stranded on the side of the road waiting for our next fishing buddy to come by and tow us to our destination. That would be around 8pm.
    With 8 hours to kill, we set up a couple chairs, pulled out the camping rye and the guitar. After awhile my lightweight friend went to sleep off the rye and hot sun so I poured me another, picked up the guitar and began to play. I gave it a good go but didn't take me long to realize 3 things.
    1. I wanted to learn guitar.
    B. It had to be left handed, my natural side.
    3. I drink too much.

Nubs, ishtar, T Bone and 8 others like this.
  13. craigh

craigh Electromatic

Mar 25, 2019
    MD
    I’m a lefty, tried for years to play right handed & finally realized that I can barely hold a guitar pick with my right hand.

Nubs, ishtar, T Bone and 4 others like this.
  14. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!

speedicut, blueruins, ishtar and 4 others like this.
  15. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Kudos to Gretsch for offering more choices for lefties than most other guitar manufacturers. Ignoring 10% of the population is not a great marketing decision by some guitar manufacturers. End the discrimination, guys.

16. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Guys : it's only a survey, a census - just to know a number at first - absolutely no discriminating idea here, right ? Notes from Right-Handed players are welcome and in no way disregarded :).

Of course we know that many of you are Lefties who plays guitar Right-Hand - I wish I could do this too, but no way... :(

There's even 53Rockets which in the opposite situation :
    And yes, audept states it :
    From my side, the 1st time I took a guitar in my hands, I immediately took it reverse, naturally, without any care of the playing sense of the instrument. So I took it the wrong way - exactly like a Right-Handed player would have taken it the correct way, because it was the Right-Handed red Fender Stratocaster of my cousin. It was in 1968 and I was 4.

For the moment, we count 7 LH players ... I know that some are missing ! ;)

A+!

ishtar, T Bone and audept like this.
  17. Like the OP mentioned . . . we are lefty since we now use our (dominant) right hand for the fretboard fingering, and my left hand for strummin' and pickin' . . . so I am a lefty guitar orientation like in a mirror. It probably occurred to me while playin' messin' with my righty P-bass at the time, realizing "I should use my right hand on the fretboard - it would be faster !"

fwiw, McCartney was also that kind of lefty, as a bassist.
    Also, Jimi Hendrix would have been a regular lefty but also had to play "reversed- string righty" I guess it would be, when playing in front of his Dad with the right handed Strat with it flipped over "normal" but still strung left.

Gretsch has as many lefty models as any manufacturer does, and it is a bit of a premium market pricing point . . .so it is ok with us to add more left production numbers - jus' sayin' *nudge*

Left handed strummin' and pickin' will hopefully be fine - maybe with more tempo work to keep up with these guys, among others.

Needles and Pins - The Searchers (1964)

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    ishtar, T Bone and thunder58 like this.
  18. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I always enjoy your videos , thanks

19. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    I sing with the left part of my brain, does that count?

ishtar, T Bone and Jena like this.
  20. 53Rockets

53Rockets Electromatic

Oct 14, 2018
    Ottawa, Ontario
    On the subject of discrimination, which we'll call 'availability' to take the edge off, can i ask for some recommendations without hijacking the census?

I'm looking for left handed Bigsby handles besides the standard arm. Specifically the Chet Atkins handle or the Eddie Cochran. Might need gold, might need chrome/nickel depending on the model of guitar i'm looking at, but either would need bigsby's installed, because...ahem....left handed availability on electromatics isn't a thing.

I've contacted Bigsby directly and didn't get any response. Their online catalogue of parts is from 2013-14 if i'm not mistaken, and a few online dealers i've contacted have been kind enough to answer (Thanks Darren Riley!) but they seemed to think these arm assemblies weren't available. Am i nuts or have i not seen these upgraded Bigsby arms on left handed models, and doesn't common sense tell me they should be available as an upgrade part?

Any info would be great, and again hope i didn't hijack the thread.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice