Surfin’ USA, New Guitar Day

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by dafreeze, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Thanks for posting those Chris Stapleton tunes. I really like that. Where to start?

I love the open sound he goes for. I’ve taken steps in the same direction, of late. I like the openness of a trio and sometimes I sing against just the bass and drums, only occasionally playing chords behind the vocal, but playing leads at the end of each phrase. It’s a kick.

Then there’s the sound of Stapleton’s Jazzie. That is an amazing sound. I haven’t given much thought to a Jazzmaster lately, but I may have to rethink that. Durn you all to heck, Dave! This is as good of a place as any to mention the Chris Stapleton signature Fender Princeton. I spent several happy hours with one up at Rainbow, a couple of weeks back. It’s a Brownface ‘62 Princeton reissue with a single 12” speaker. It’s the functional clone of my Winfield Tremor, and the sound of either is essentially interchangeable. It’s a great sound.

Last but not least, Stapleton’s material; simply fantastic! Thanks for introducing me to this, Dave. I hope you know you just spent about a week’s pay for me. :) (I’m still remembering that great salad we had up in Omaha.)

dafreeze likes this.
  2. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

A local Blues guy in the Detroit area, Kenny Parker plays Jazzmasters almost exclusively these days. Saw him once joined by his good friend Detroit legend Jim McCarty (Mitch Ryder and The Detroit Wheels, Cactus, The Rockets), and Jim ditched his omnipresent Les Paul Custom that night for another Jazzmaster.

Have no really good shots, but took a couple quick and dirty tonight. Great guitar, may end up changing the bridge and possibly the vibrato arm at some point.
    20190306_233856.jpg 20190306_233829.jpg

JC higgy, dafreeze, new6659 and 2 others like this.
  3. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Aw, nuts

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/guita...n-amp-chris-stapleton-edition/8151800000.html

T Bone likes this.
  4. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Winnie Thomas, T Bone and dafreeze like this.
  5. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

yeah....I’ve got some thinking to do...nuts

6. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Too bad the overtime dried up.

dafreeze likes this.
  7. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

My pleasure but full disclosure I'd not heard of him and looked his appearance up. I'm neither a Country lover or hater and have been rather stuck in my musical time machine for decades, but this morning I did buy his first album off itunes. I really like a lot of his sounds on the two tunes posted and have yet to listen to the whole album, only previewing the first handful of songs.

And I hear you regarding the open sounds, often times I think less is more. Also singing while trying much more than chording is next to impossible for me.

Yeah, I may have durned us both to heck...payback can be a real a biotch...ha! (No malice intended). I like that amp. A lot. Not the same critter but ironically have been looking at Princeton Reverbs lately and actually low balled a guy on a Paul Revera designed II the other day. Thought about jumping on his counter but I'm not 100% pleased with the DR II I already own, but I knew of it's shortfalls when I bought it and got more than a fair deal. It's clean channel is almost perfect but just not quite and I miss the tremelo. A lot. I still could end up with just a modded PRRI with a 12" one day. Too easy for me to hit my ears too hard with the amps I presently play through.

And again, we must thank our otherbrotherfromdownunder Gretchmen65 for introducing both of us...perhaps he'll take less out of my/(our) hide for costing him if he does snag a Jazzmaster. And that was a great salad! We'll hook up again, the sooner the better.

Very cool story with Jim McCarty picking up a JM for the night, sounds like it was an excellent show. Very good looking guitar, TBone.

Yeah, but over time it should pick back up. Historically guys in this position have always been able to make more $ than others if they chose. Last set off was the first time I'd had 7 off in a row in over a year. Was nice! Didn't get all the chores done that I'd planned, never do, but got a lot of picking in.

T Bone likes this.
  8. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

You two have been in the back of my mind for quite a while. Until I become famous the rigs I play through don't exactly bring the word 'practical' to mind.

9. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    You have a great collection, both of guitars and amps. That 2061x is to die for. I’ve played through both your Fender and your AC-15, in fact I may have played the AC-15 before you had a chance to try it for yourself. But you’re In a position to afford your gear and you bought what you love. If you decide to go for a Tremor; well it’s a variety you don’t currently have covered. But you’re hardly lacking for amplification.

Next time, the salad’s on me.

dafreeze likes this.
  10. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Thank you, Mark and yes, you did me the honor of...ensuring the first guy who plugged into that amp didn’t get electrocuted. :)

In fact you were a big help unpacking it and stuck all the tubes in for me.

Thoroughly enjoyed that day.

I just re-read this;

https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/31371/?page=1#p420707

0761A730-BC53-41EC-9C67-A4C920F2516D.jpeg
    94110929-D40D-4AE2-A07C-AF33290B18AB.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  11. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    Thanks for the credits.

Chris Stapleton is an extremely diverse musician. First came to my notice in a Blue grass band the "Steel Drivers" he was singing a song he wrote called "if it hadn't been for love".
    The English pop-star Adelle actually covered that song on her first album and credited Chris Stapleton on her Albert Hall DVD.

dafreeze likes this.
  12. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I'm wearing exactly the same pants and shirt today.

dafreeze likes this.
  13. Winnie Thomas

Winnie Thomas Gretschie

Jun 13, 2011
    Cochise AZ
    I know a Guy that might be willing to sell his :)

dafreeze likes this.
  14. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I’m saving up for a new set of eyes, at the moment.

dafreeze likes this.
  15. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Naturally. I read a bit about him, quite the talent. Will give the first album a good listen as soon as I get a chance.

Ha ha...women go crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man

I know where you got it!

laser job?

16. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    They’re fixing my cataracts. Puzzling, cause I don’t even drive a Cataract, I drive a Toyota. :)

T Bone and dafreeze like this.
  17. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Ah chit and he's funny, too!

(Gramma kept hers in a jar...I wouldn't recommend that)

18. Winnie Thomas

Winnie Thomas Gretschie

Jun 13, 2011
    Cochise AZ
    I got it in Littleton, NH

dafreeze likes this.
  19. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I’m not into such souvenirs. :) I’m going to put them under my pillow and the Lens Fairy will leave a quarter for me.

T Bone and dafreeze like this.
  20. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Beg pardon, Sir, got my guitar stories mixed up...perhaps it was a Caddy Green Duo I'm thinking of?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice