Surfin’ USA, New Guitar Day

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by dafreeze, Feb 25, 2019.

1. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Thank you Sir, I agree and would even add an expletive to the cool geet that...I've even got Irish, Scot and English blood pumping through me! And I hear that, I'm an ol Rock n Roll, Blues nut myself which means I'm also a huge fan of Surf as well. Granted this guitar isn't necessary to play and sound Surfy but it does add to my need to have one! And I like Jags as well but this scale and these pickups do it more for me so I don't have a need for a Jag.

Well Sir, I am getting paid quite well a good portion of the time I play but am not a gigging musician. Yet. Let me explain... No, there is too much. Let me sum up.

Have been a lover of music, guitars and pretty girls since before I can recall. Took a couple years of lessons from 10-12 and for the most part have always had at least one guitar and have bought at least 3 dozen over the years, 8 or so as gifts for son and nephews.

Kids are grown and gone, I’ve an excellent job that offers a lot of free time in isolation so have a guitar and little amp with me.

I’m also setting myself up to have all I love at hand when I retire.

Had Englishman’s Jupiter Thunderbird here the last five 12 hour night shifts and swapped her out for the Penguin Bo this evening.

I’m David and am pleased to meet you.

F379F410-4376-48DC-B76C-10B27D32720A.jpeg

T Bone, diamoroso, thunder58 and 6 others like this.
  2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Lookin’ good!
    Pleased to meet you too, Dave.
    That’s awesome to be able to get yourself the things you enjoy!
    I work overnights at a mental health facilty, and often bring one of my guitars with me to pass the time. I really need to get a little headphone amp.

larryb, dafreeze and dankas11 like this.
  3. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    That is a sweet color. Congrats.

dafreeze likes this.
  4. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Well thanks for that, and I'm feelin good! Couple things about getting ol...more experienced I don't care for but understand they're part of life, but for me they're outweighed by the good things, one of which is I can buy better toys.

Thank ya Henry, I think so too.

5. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I think it’s smart of you to get the things you want while you still have income from a job. I’m getting the final preparations for that stage of my life attended to as well. Wife and I are healthy so should be an enjoyable part of our lives. For the music gear am thinking about selling most of it off and keeping one or two guitars and one amp.

dafreeze likes this.
  6. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

This is an outstanding guitar, best described as cross between a Tele and Strat in just about every aspect with a little glassy sound if you will and very cool, unique controls. Not my favorite neck of the 3 but not a slam, the bare maple and shapes of the other two are just so familiar to me (had this Tele for 10 years) with this Strat being the finest feeling guitar neck I've ever played. However, it is outstanding in it's own right, just different with noticeably more girth, which for my big mits this is not a negative.

This guitar feels almost as sexy to hold and play (I'm 99% stand up) as the Strat with almost as good as a bluesy neck pickup tone as my Strat and just as good as the Tele, but still a bit different. Just a lovely combined tone with both pickups, sweeter than the Tele (which I've always absolutely loved) and on par with the prettiest tones of all my GreTschs. Again, not a slam to my Beloveds (see the last pic), but different. Absolutely perfect surf guitar, which is a big reason I desired it so. Just perfect. I couldn't be more pleased.

These guitars are built for and strung with 11-50's...that's awesome.

The case is also exceptional.

It's easier to play than a Strat for me and just as easy as the Tele which is still the single best all around bang for buck guitar I've ever owned. But if I had to chose one keeper between these 3 Fenders, if $ wasn't a consideration, it'd be this Jazzmaster, hands down for the above reasons. Fortuanately I don't have to choose, they're each exceptional guitars.

She arrived Friday, 3 days earlier than expected. Got updated tracking a couple hours ahead of arrival and that made my day. But alas the guitar and case were very cold. I gave her a quick peek outside just to ensure nothing busted in shipping then let her acclimate in the case for about 10 hours, which wasn't too bad as I was poorly rolling off nightshift and was ready for a 7 hour nap.

I'm at the tail end of 7 days off and this increadible guitar and I have been consumating a bunch, probably a minimum of 3 hours each day total (still had a lot of chores to do).

I wanted to get the drum kit setup before taking all these pics for Audept and still may today or tomorrow. It's a 5 piece GreTsch Renown Maple on a very cool Gibralter rack.

Last shot is of my "Entertainment Center"...ha ha, this room continues to be a work in progress. Btw in that regard I'm close to ripping out this crap carpet and laying down some hardwood flooring with rugs. Hope that won't give me too much room brightness sound wise. If anyone has any negative experience sound wise in that regard I'd be receptive to hearing about it and could just as easily go with carpet. surf-fender.jpg qxjVZ2xIRtClTuMPxdhUgQ.jpg 43ZjvFBlTMqeiWUtnfj2cg.jpg ZuOQpVKdQdym+jeZM6DiuQ.jpg mJtY3pF+S6SvK6JlgsRO%w.jpg Lax32R3UQ4+qAaHa0+q%XA.jpg j5q5GpVWS5ayq7SsidH1gA.jpg NhpIhUp%Qp66%wmHDprnoA.jpg c75fD6M6QjWafm8qakpAXA.jpg rLU7%SL8QXyWVeCSyglgHw.jpg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  7. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Thank you Robbie I couldn't agree more although I've no intention of selling off anything. I'd still like to upgrade this Taylor with an HD-35, the Studio Lester for a plain top R8, get that GreTsch baritone they don't make anymore, a 6122-62 and finally...this

gkqekxptmrewn6naonjy.jpg

T Bone, BorderRadio, new6659 and 3 others like this.
  8. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Forgot to mention the tremolo. It’s excellent.

9. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Great setup and great pics! Thanks for posting these.

dafreeze likes this.
  10. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

My great pleasure, I'm a showoff anyway. Once I get a good setup to record you all will...probably feel a bit sorry for me! Ha! And a hunerd bucks says you'd absolutely love one of these.

Btw, I realize the trem's actually a vibrato...old habit...kind of like the 302 in my car's a 'motor'

audept likes this.
  11. LongJohn

LongJohn Gretschie

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    Great looking Jazzmaster, forgot how cool the bridge cover looks.

dafreeze likes this.
  12. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    That’s quite a collection, Dave.

How about one of the Duane Eddy bass/baritones? They still make that one, and it’s a heckuva collector’s item.

dafreeze likes this.
  13. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Just saw this, congrats! Been about the JM since I was a kid, before I knew what was what. I have a AV ‘65 TS in Ocean Metallic Turquoise, it’s just a perfect guitar with a chunky C neck. I put my Mastery bridge on it, and just obtained a Staytrem arm.

dafreeze likes this.
  14. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Flipping heck, that is very cool.

There's something about JMs and Jags with painted headstock and neck binding that's just.....cool.

If Steve McQueen was still around, that's the guitar he'd have.

dafreeze and panhead6zero like this.
  15. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Thanks LongJohn, I think so too. Tough to catch the color which looks a bit blue in some light. Bridge cover does look cool but as most may know it really inhibits palm muting. Plus it makes it too easy for me to rest my palm on, which I’ve been working on overcoming for a long time, thanks to a discussion with my favorite Chet-pickin Mod several years ago.

Thank you Mark, I was fortunate to be able to work as much OT as I did last year which made many of these possible. With the boy grown and long gone, 3/4 of the way across the country, they provide enormous amounts of pleasure, help fill a void and also help keep me out of trouble. Alas, we’ve hired and trained a bunch of new guys so the OT has all but dried up but that will allow me more time at home.

And I’d not been aware of Duane Eddy 6 string bass. Looked it over and listened to The Man himself talk about and demonstrate it. I’m smitten. Synchro strikes again!

Thanks BorderRadio! Btw, your handle always brings Billy Gibbons to mind. The Ocean Metallic Turquoise is a stunner and more representative of the Surf era to me. Didn’t remember you’d been a JM fan and had this. I looked up the Staytrem arm and am intrigued by it and your bridge although I’ve yet to experience the downfalls to this system the Staytrem describes their arm and collet overcoming.

Thanks Markeebee, the painted headstock was a contributing factor in my deciding on this particular Jazzmaster.

And you just pushed another button as I’ve been a huge Steve McQueen fan most of my life. The Sand Pebbles, Bullitt and The Magnificent Seven being some of my all time favorite movies. He’s a contributor to the reason I love some Mustangs as much as I do and it was the debut of the ‘05 that inspired me to finally Special Order this 2012 GT Premium with MT-82 (6-Speed Manual, which did fail me 4+ years ago and was replaced on warranty) on March 19, 2011. Delivered 2 months later on my son’s 21st birthday which makes it even a bit more special.

As great as this car is the most stellar aspect is the motor. Aluminum block, alum heads, DOHC, variable valve timing, factory headers, 5.0L (302 ci)

I optioned for a 401A interior upgrade, HID’s with Security System and a lower gear set. Also ordered their Power Upgrade Pkg which consisted of a mild Ford Racing Tune that didn’t adversely effect my warranty, GT-500 muffler and a K&N airfilter (which I removed a few months later...no increase in airflow and a bit of a pain). It didn’t add much peak power or torque, taking the numbers to 428/397, but eliminated most of the built in throttle lag, speed governor and and lifted the front end of the torque curve up significantly by added 60#’ @ 1500rpm.

Had a semi drop off a pallet in front of my house a few months later with a Ford Racing Adjustable Suspension and the same time bought some lightweight Forgestar CF5 performance wheels. Added a few exterior upgrades including having the vertical portion of the trunk lid flat black.

She’s not a garage queen with 83K miles now, the first 9K of which I put on the car the first 9 weeks I owned her, but is still both cherry and a hootandahalf.

And thanks for giving me the excuse for more showoffandtell.

AAFBD848-F768-462F-AC03-2CE9D43310C4.jpeg 95EB380E-2D20-4A43-95EC-5D823C1EA429.png

Attached Files:

T Bone and new6659 like this.
  16. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Always glad to serve as an enabler. :) That Duane Eddy Bass is a once in a lifetime sort of thing. If I had the bread to spare, I’d buy one.

dafreeze likes this.
  17. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

That is one sweet Jazzmaster, I'm sure you'll love it! While I don't have that model, I may have the next best thing, a MIM Lacquer Jazzmaster in Surf Green with those same pickups. Totally rockin' guitar.

dafreeze likes this.
  18. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

:)

Fun $ is going to be tougher to come by for awhile but I have a few guitars that don’t get as much love. Going to do put some $ into my house and truck this year but this big beautiful girl is presently at the top of my list.

Thanks T Bone, you’re right on both counts. And Surf Green! Let’s see her!

T Bone likes this.
  19. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    Well, I'm quite the opposite.

I've never wanted a Jazzmster - until now!
    You guys have sparked my interest and when I saw Chris Stapleton using one on Austin City Limits playing Tennessee Whiskey I was "swayed"

Now JC, that may be a country song but as close to blues as it gets for me.

dafreeze and JC higgy like this.
  20. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

He's playing a couple;

And I Was Wrong is pretty bluesy

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice