Supro Blues King 12

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Zeek, Nov 8, 2019.

1. MKunie

MKunie Synchromatic

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    After having a few smaller amps. This could be compared to a small fender with vox and marshall tones, so to really confuse you, It sits in its own place. It is not boxxy like the fender. it does sound like it looks iof that helps. I am hooked! So will you! get one

Waxhead likes this.
  2. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    @dreamin - you can't box most tube amp makers like that into Fender, Marshall, Vox categories.

Most of em make different amp styles with different power tubes and features. They might make a Fendery style 6L6 amp and Marshall sounding EL84 one or neither. Many try to develop their own unique tone - like Supro and Egnater for example. Some other amp makers deliberately make a clone.

Mesa Boogie are unique in making something for everyone in over 70 amps since the 1970s. Not only have they pioneered many classic unique amps and tones in constantly progressing tube amp technologies they also have deliberately made some Fender Tweed/Blackface sounding amps, Vox AC and Marshall JCM style amps. In some amps they've combined them into 1 on different channels.

Imo where Mesa Boogie have deliberately cloned Fender or Vox they've improved on those originals with better cleans and reverb in a lighter much more versatile package. All of their amps made past 15 yrs are much better than anything Fender or Vox have ever made imo. They're also more expensive :)

I'm hoping this Supro BK12 has it's own unique tones.
    It's marketed as a British sounding amp with 6L6 power tubes so it's not likely to be Fender, Vox or Marshall like :)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    MKunie and Henry like this.
  3. dreamingGretsch

dreamingGretsch Gretschie

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    I understand, thank you for informative posts @Waxhead !! Really appreciate it! forgive me, I'm new to the tube world, and it feels like I'm basking in the sunshine.. LOL it feels like when I first got my G5420T, a new world has opened and I'm not just into everything Tele's.. and been wanting to soak up as much info as I can! LOL

T Bone, MKunie and Waxhead like this.
  4. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I just sold my Supro Tremo-Verb a few weeks ago for the same price I bought it for.

It was a beautiful amp, and I loved the tremolo, but it was just too bassy for me. I played it with the bass knob all the way down, and it was still too dark. Especially on stage. I couldn’t seem to dial in a bright enough sound with filtertrons to suit my needs. It sounded great with single coils, that’s for sure. My 5129 sounded awesome through. Same with my tele.

Once I got my deluxe reverb, the Supro didn’t stand a chance. It was fun to use both amps in stereo, but I decided to move it along. I’d love to try one of their bigger amps at some point.

5. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia

Nothing to forgive :)
    yeah I see you're new to it and just trying to offer some advice.
    The tube amp world is a fascinating and complex one with a long history.

I've benefited from owning/playing 100s over 30 yrs and I'm still learning every day. I'm by no means an expert and lot's people may not agree with me.

Welcome to a great journey of discovery :)

MKunie likes this.
  6. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    ok fair enuf :)
    Was it this one
    https://suprousa.com/amplifiers/1622rt-tremo-verb/

Interesting amp - 6973 power tubes with 25w into a 10 inch speaker.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    MKunie and calebaaron666 like this.
  7. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Yes.
    Probably a killer amp to record with, or if you like to exclusively play really dirty.
    It’s a LOUD 25 watts! It’ll keep up with a drummer, but it’s a dirty tone at those volumes. It has to be some of the best genuine overdrive I’ve ever heard.
    I would’ve kept it, but I wanted the cash to use for other gear.
    That’s how it goes.

MKunie and Waxhead like this.
  8. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    I use a Supro Supreme, mainly cos I'm lazy and it's small, easy to pick up and damn loud for 25w through a 10" speaker. Easily keeps up with my loudish drummer. Plenty of clean, I use a pedal to add some grit. Guessing the Tremoverb breaks up earlier
    Would LOVE to try the Blues King but I own three Supros already so I'm resisting.
    And yeah, try to avoid comparison with other amp brands. It's human nature to do that of course. But they are their own beast

Waxhead and MKunie like this.
  9. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I just dont know why players will spend so much money on a guitar but always make price point on an amp their marker. A guitar amp should always exceed the quality of a guitar. I've never heard any offshore small combo amp that sounds good
    enough for my tastes. They use crap components and compromise through out the amp in the signal path w cheap wiring, mediocre transformers,harnesses and speakers. Always pay for an equivalent value for your amp, as you paid for your guitar, otherwise you are wasting money on the guitar is my motto. You certainly dont purchase a bang & olefsen beomaster and then hook it up with JBL blue tooth speakers
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

T Bone and Waxhead like this.
  10. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Didn't you just get a classic 30, no need to gas it is a great amp! Learn it first and save some cash now. If you decide to move from it look at a Mesa mark v 25 or 35 and you will still probably keep the classic 30. Or if you want a more focused tone look into the Nocturne amps. I have a Baby Blondeshell I would take over the supro any day. Gas majorly for a Moonshine and a mark v 25. Ah but I don't need either! I went down the amp path and discovered I was adding more of the same and that speakers gave me more variety than multiple amps did. My JR Barnyard has even cooled my Moonshine gas a bit using it in the clean channel of an xxx. Just saying being new to tube amps is a dangerous time, that was when I added amps I really didn't need or were too redundant.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Waxhead likes this.
  11. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah I agree :)
    especially if you own a proline Gretsch - defeats the purpose of owning one imo if you hook it up to significantly lower quality amps, cabs, pedals.

What do you call offshore ?
    Do you mean anything made outside the US ?

12. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    It's odd. In the Hi-fi world, $-wise a 1:1 ratio for amp to speakers is pretty much acceptable. How many times did we have cab/speaker discussions on GT?

Exactly...:D

Waxhead likes this.
  13. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    i’m actually the one you are describing. I love buying guitars, and I always limit my amp buying to whatever’s left. This is why I buy used SS amps only, mainly for the price. As long as its clean and loud, can be heard, I’m okay as long as I’m playing a really nice guitar and the feel is nice.

I cringe at the prices of amps but I will never blink twice on the price of an expensive guitar IF i can afford it.

but now that I have a decent tube amp to use, I’m learning that the amp makes a huge factor more than pickups or my pedals. But believe me, if I didnt have any real need for a decent amp to use out, You’d see me playing a white falcon through a cheap Behringer practice amp. I’m actually using Garageband on my iPhone, plugged through an iRig and practice, and I get nice tones in the BF amps. :)

but yeah, I have a decent amp now, and its more inspiring to play and hear myself out loud.

14. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    yes sir! I’m the one with the new to me Peavey Classic30. Hehehe.

Im in a dangerous place with all these amp GAS, in reality, I cannot afford another amp purchase anyway. :) “its more like, what else is out there that might be suitable for what I want to do?” But honestly, I dont think I can get anything better than the Classic30 in terms of output/specs for the money I spent on it. So I’m keeping it and going to enjoy it as much as I can, and Ive already scheduled a service to make sure everything is working fine with my amp and get a clean bill of health! :)

Waxhead likes this.
  15. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    One more thought for you,
    Extension cab. So many choices, sizes, speaker voicings!

16. Zeek

Zeek Gretschie

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
  17. MKunie

MKunie Synchromatic

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    WOW What a pic!!! Wait until you play it for while and the speaker breaks in!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice