Supro Blues King 12

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Zeek, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Zeek

Zeek Gretschie

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    I just went to the web site and looked it says,

"Supro’s place among the pantheon of legendary tube amplifiers is without question, yet this sound has been unavailable in a new product for nearly 50 years. No longer will Supro amps be relegated to vintage secret weapon status. The torch has been passed. Absara Audio is proud to bring you the return of authentic Supro tone, Assembled in the USA"

Parts could be a different story.

Merc and MKunie like this.
  2. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Lol. Made in china, then they add the labels in USA.

MKunie, pmac11 and swivel like this.
  3. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    It's kinda irrelevant these days imo. Im all for US made but really, so many components and people come from everywhere. There's the old saying, you can get your new Fender made by Mexican people in Ca. or you can get it made by Mexican's in Mexico.

calebaaron666, Merc, RomanS and 5 others like this.
  4. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I agree, to me, more relevant than where it is made is the dishonesty about it.

I would be surprised if an amp at that price is made in the USA.

5. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    With some searching I find the amp chassis is made in China. Tubes are added in US. The reason I ask is because, as we know, certain amps made in China are same/similar components. For instance, the cheap Mono 15 amp (Used to be $129 new) is pretty much the same as the Laney amp. That's been documented. At the price point for this Supro I would want to find out the internal quality a bit more. But that's just me.
    I could find no label on any Supro Blues King pic on line that said where made.
    Chinese goods CAN be very fine quality, but you have to ask for it specifically, pay for it, and inspect for it. (iPhone!)

Henry, Sid Nitzerglobin and pmac11 like this.
  6. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Yup, price point & the acceptable profit margin for the company selling the product seem like the more reliable defining factors for quality over country of manufacture any more to me. I still like buying more locally, but the reality of the world today is that the vast majority of products will have some bits of materials, parts, & labor from all over the world.

Test drive & once over perception of quality had this one well over the Chinese AC15CC1 or Mexican Blues Jr. III I had previously but that's not in any way a valid data point for reliability or indicator of what corners may be cut.

Merc, Henry and MKunie like this.
  7. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah price listed at $599 for BK12 combo is about same as a Fender Blues Jnr.
    But you get lots more for your $$ with the Supro.

Listed weight is 28 lbs which improves on Blues Jnr and Vox AC15 at 32 lbs and 48 lbs.

Vox AC15 is another $100-300 more depending on what model you get with a chinese clone speaker. $1000 more is if you want handwired with a real celestion :)
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...handwired-tube-combo-with-alnico-blue-speaker

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  8. MKunie

MKunie Synchromatic

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    Yup

9. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Chinese factories have a knack for bringing out products which are visually indistinguishable from each other, but can vary vastly in quality as soon as you crack them open.

A couple of years ago the Epiphone Valve Junior was hyped to high heaven.
    I got one to mod. Then Thomann brought out their Harley Benton version, which was a deadringer albeit in different colour tolex and lots cheaper. I got two.
    Clearly made in the same factory, but the parts used were also cheaper. Plastic connectors were breaking as soon as you pulled them. I donated all 3 to an amp builder for the housing, trays and iron.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  10. jackfossett

jackfossett Electromatic

Jul 17, 2019
    Maine
    I just picked up a used one - at first jam, I really like it. Working on a full review and tone tips video that I'll share soon!

Merc, capnhiho, Henry and 2 others like this.
  11. MKunie

MKunie Synchromatic

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    I’ll say it again. It’s a great sounding amp. I’m very happy I got it.

Waxhead and Zeek like this.
  12. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

You guys! Content here, now developing gas for one of these...

Merc, MKunie and Zeek like this.
  13. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yep same with the chinese cloned celestion speakers Vox stick in their AC re-issue amps. Reviews on them are not good and I noticed a significant tone difference when I tested them. I'm very unimpressed with Vox for such el cheapo cost cutting on already expensive amps.

14. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I thought the whole amps were made in China.

Waxhead likes this.
  15. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah probly are but the clone speaker is the worst part :)
    ACs need a Celestion Greenback or Blue to deliver authentic Vox chime imo.

AC10 never had either and you can hear that doesn't sound very Voxy.

16. MKunie

MKunie Synchromatic

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    Oh and about the made in China stuff
    My wife was made in China. A 1962 model I believe, 24 years later. Still working pretty good. Gets a bit squeaky once in a while. But all in all a good model. I still say get the BK12.

S.R.Cash, G5422T, Waxhead and 3 others like this.
  17. Zeek

Zeek Gretschie

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    Thank You to all for your input.

I bought one so I will have a NAD today. I also have a Blues JR with a Rex in it that I love, so should be able to make a good comparison over the next few days.

Thanks Again to All

Waxhead, 19cad61, Merc and 2 others like this.
  18. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Very helpful LOL

MKunie likes this.
  19. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I bought a car sit for my grandson because on the box it said "Made in USA".
    I took it out of the box and while putting it together I saw that the car seat itself was marked "Made in China". This practice is fraud and should be stopped. I guess the box was Made in the USA.

Waxhead, MKunie and Henry like this.
  20. dreamingGretsch

dreamingGretsch Gretschie

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    now that I have entered the tube amp world, having my first two recently... Im on a dangerous territory and been reading a lot and watching a lot of tube amp videos!!

Ive always known about supro amps and even more wanting to try one since Julian Lage used one here and it just sounds so good! but I dont really know what their footprint is, are they Fendery? Voxy? Marshall?? it sounds a bit Fender to me?

but then again Julian Lage can make anything sound soo good, especially when he was using that boxy Champ!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice