Supro Blues King 12

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Zeek, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Zeek

Zeek Gretschie

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    I have been lookin at these since they came out but have not played through one. There is one at a GC I thought I might go check out.

Any one play through one of these?
    Any opinions?
    th (1).jpg

2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I'm slightly gassy for one, but I've got enough nice amps(yes, someone actually said that on a guitar forum).

ffooky, radd, MKunie and 2 others like this.
  3. MKunie

MKunie Synchromatic

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    I have had mine for many months now. I can say it was worth every penny. I play tv classics, Filters and Tarmonds through it. The sounds are what you would love with a Gretsch. I really do not use the 2 FET switches, But they are usable, Just have to get the tone settings right!
    Just get a good tone stack setting. I have mids and bass at half and highs a little down. Master is around 1/4 and volume is around 3/4. The sounds are what I IMG_2669.JPG have always heard in my head.
    It is solid and very well built. The speaker has just recently broken in and it is much sweeter. It is loud, but still a small amp. If you are interested, I would have to tell you, it is worth it. It takes pedals great, I am not using the efx loop, just a RE20 in the front end. I feel with a Gretsch going into it, You will be happy. I have put other guitars through it, but recently got rid of them all to only have Gretsches. Get one.! Dog not included! To sum it all up? I really have no cons about this amp and how it really does what I was hoping it would do. I am VERY Happy & Satisfied!

pmac11, mrfixitmi, benjwri and 7 others like this.
  4. Zeek

Zeek Gretschie

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    An a 4 Paws up from the cuttie amp inspector.

Thank You for the review, I almost ordered one this mornin .... hum

MKunie likes this.
  5. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Almost? There's still time!:D
    Little Valco's rule, i've had the original's that this is a copy of.

Merc, pmac11 and MKunie like this.
  6. MKunie

MKunie Synchromatic

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    I say it again, Get one, It is super fantastic, it is amazing, It will change your life and you will be a better human if you have one. Now only if I could leave work and go play the darn thing, AHHH You got me jonesing.

Waxhead likes this.
  7. Zeek

Zeek Gretschie

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    How can I argue with that.

MKunie likes this.
  8. MKunie

MKunie Synchromatic

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    Oh, and if that was not enough for ya.. Once you set the tone, a Gretsch through this amplifier is kinda like an angels song. So Sweet. Did you order it yet?

Zeek likes this.
  9. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah these Supro amps all look great imo.
    I tried out a 50w Galaxy and thought is was excellent with Fendery 6L6 tube tones also more versatile than a Fender or Vox.

How much does the Blues King 12 go for in USA ?

MKunie and Zeek like this.
  10. Zeek

Zeek Gretschie

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    $599.99 before negotiations

MKunie and Waxhead like this.
  11. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I haven't owned one, but based on a couple fairly complete test drives it seems great as a Blues Jr. killer for me.

They've really impressed me w/ the dynamic feel & non-boxy-ness at volume, seemed nicely 1 hand transportable & well put together, & w/ likely enough volume to keep up w/ most drummers if you don't mind some nice sounding crunch.

Merc, MKunie, Waxhead and 1 other person like this.
  12. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I think better than Fender Blues Jnr myself :)
    Much more versatile, not a 1 trick pony and lighter

Sid Nitzerglobin, Zeek and MKunie like this.
  13. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    I'm not really sold on it personally, but I have a PRRI with a 12" Crex in it so I'm not really in this market.

I did have a Supro until a few months back, and it was a beautiful amp. The QC was great and the fit and finish work on the Tolex and piping was immaculate. they did put the effort and craftsmanship into them for the price... BUT in my opinion the price was still a little high considering I didn't find the tone-stack to be very much use. Other than that I loved it (except how heavy it was and being a 35/45/60w generally to loud w/o attenuation) So if you find that usable and enjoy the tone and it's price... Then go for it!

14. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I’ve played one and thought it sounded great. And that was with a 6120 plugged in. Thumbs up. :)

15. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    That's what I was saying ;)

T Bone, Waxhead, MKunie and 1 other person like this.
  16. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Price & weight have been my 2 complaints w/ the bigger new Supros myself.

My impression is they did a good job on this one addressing those while maintaining pretty great sounds and quality.

Waxhead, Zeek and MKunie like this.
  17. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    That kind of wattage switching would be more useful for tonal variety than volume control. For a wider volume range I'd want to see it go down to 15w or less.

Waxhead, Zeek and MKunie like this.
  18. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    My new/old Harmony H306 and my Supro Tremo Verb live in that world so im not looking but if i was that one would be a serious contender.

Zeek and MKunie like this.
  19. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    I understand that. I was simply stating that it was too loud in any single case. The 35w setting was too clean and didn't have enough dynamics or touch sensitivity.... It's honestly a rectifier switch, not wattage (they simply describe it that way for a layman) and to be honest they're just increasing or decreasing resistance. Tube, Hybrid, and SS. It was a nice feature considering the amp did take pedals well... but it didn't get much use, because even with the 35w tube recto selected it wasn't really any more dynamic or sensitive than my PRRI and certainly not more than 68' CDR with it's decreased negative feedback loop...

Beautiful amp... but it was a clean machine and pedal platform for me... not enough saturation without my attenuation... and when I started jumpering the 2 channels in phase in my 68' custom... I get way more than enough clean headrooom... (especially because I have a more efficient 12" 1258 Legend in it)...

I got the supro bug hard when they came out... but they're just pretty... This BK12 seems pretty useful though if I were in the market.

MKunie and Waxhead like this.
  20. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Where are they made? China?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice