Superchamp X2, Remuda, and Kindle Fire- no go

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Alathea, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Alathea

Alathea Electromatic

Dec 2, 2018
    NE
    Well, that was a frustrating experiment. I have an old Kindle Fire and on OTG (on the go) cable, think, USB on one end, and micro-B on the other. I also have a Fender Superchamp X2 tube mp with a USB port that can be configured from a computer. The problem is that the application runs on a combination of Flash and Silverlight, which Microsoft killed off. Fender has a new generation of amps that run via bluetooth connectivity. You can adjust all amp settings on the new ones with your phone but they have no Windows or OSx application available. So, unless you have a Windows tablet or something larger you are squinting at the screen to change settings on the new ones, and the old tube amps are SOL if Fender Fuse ever stops working on Windows or OSx.

My older Fender amp is a tube based amp in addition to having access to Fender preset models- so best of many worlds in a lot of cases, and a step back in my opinion, for Fender to not make the Superchamp X2 in a new version alongside their modeling amps that has bluetooth to access the amp settings from a distance. Im looking at is from a performer POV, though I don't perform anywhere. Tube amp with wireless access to settings so you can change settings on the amp without having to walk across stage! They still actively sell the Superchamp X2, also- they just haven't supported the application that runs with it for almost 4 years with any updates or anything. Its basically a user only platform, now, with users creating any presets. Fender also hasn't released the source for it for any further development by the community.

Anyway, Kindle Fires don't have host access mode enabled on them, so you can't use them as a cheap alternative to a Surface or something similar to control the amplifier. So, to control the older amps, that sound better in many ways, you have to have a laptop, Android based tablet, and a really long cable, and to control the newer ones you only have phone/tablet based control, but the amp itself is completely computer- no analog/tube signal. There are a lot of players that really like tube amplifiers and its sad that you can still get parts and support from Fender for old tube amps like Princetons, Hotrods, etc, but the Superchamp is like a forgotten stepchild in the family. They sell it, but the app that runs on it is in danger of someday never working again should Windows ever stop recognizing it.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. capnhiho

capnhiho Gretschie

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    I once had a Mustang 1 with the FUSE software - it was fun to tweak, download, install and modify fairly realistic sounding patches but I found myself fiddling with it more than I actually played it. I ended up gifting it to my granddaughter after she took up guitar. The only digital modeler I own now is my trusty Vibro Champ XD which doesn’t have the option of end user tweakability but still sounds great after a speaker swap.

Anyway, to get back on track, I had thought about trying the Kindle Fire as a modding platform but never got beyond using my laptop. I didn’t realize that Fender had left their FUSE options twisting in the wind years ago - seems a shame!

3. Alathea

Alathea Electromatic

Dec 2, 2018
    NE
    Its a bummer. Fender still sells the amp, but the app that supports it hasn't been updated in years, and Silverlight, the foundational code behind it, is no longer updated or supported by MS. It still works, but an update or new version of Windows later, who knows? All Fender needs to do is update the app, otherwise they are selling an amp with a shelf life on a major part of its feature set. I get it, business wise they want to use more updated code and wifi/bluetooth, etc, but if thats the case they should stop selling the Superchamp X2 completely, or remove the modeling portion. They haven't even updated the firmware on the amp itself in years, so the sound engine for the emulations of the amp models are langusinging behind those for the newer amps. Ether support it, or stop selling it as an available model in the lineup. Players loved the Superchamp XD and X2- lower wattage tube amps with access to the sound engine for tweaking made them extremely versatile.

4. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I play guitar (badly). I don't [play computer.
    Never mix the twain!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice