Super Hi-Lo Trons, not falling in love with them.

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by EESmith, Jul 19, 2019.

1. EESmith

EESmith Electromatic

Jun 6, 2019
    Plymouth, IN
    I could use ANY recommendations for changing my mind. My guitar is a 5622. I play rock (think classic, a child of the 70's/80's),blues, and worship music through a Helix, so I have tons of amp options at my fingertips. I'm not digging the scooped sound as much as I thought I would. Maybe some amp setting suggestions even if it is a physical one. I get close to Malcomish, but the scoop... I can't get past it. This isn't necessarily the best sound for worship music either, but I will say that the edge of breakup is a pretty nice sound for blues stuff. I tend to use the guitar's knobs for clean/dirty sounds, if that helps.

2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Think of them as single coils? It's what there are, but you would be forgiven to think they offer some kinda humbucker tonality based on their appearance.

EESmith likes this.
  3. EESmith

EESmith Electromatic

Jun 6, 2019
    Plymouth, IN
    Yes I understand that, but maybe that's why I'm not hearing what I think I want to hear. Thanks

4. EESmith

EESmith Electromatic

Jun 6, 2019
    Plymouth, IN
    Yes I understand that, but maybe that's why I'm not hearing what I think I want to hear. Thanks

5. EESmith

EESmith Electromatic

Jun 6, 2019
    Plymouth, IN
  6. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

You might try an EQ pedal to help dial in the sound that you want.

EESmith and Henry like this.
  7. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    If you hear scoop, what happens if you use a mid bumpy pedal like a TS style pedal?

EESmith and Henry like this.
  8. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    True confessions here by a 5622 owner. I often times do a tone similar to how the Woman tone sometimes gets set. Both tone knobs rolled way back, neck pickup volume all the way up, bridge pickup at about 1/2 volume. Gives me a dark tone that I’m after at times.

EESmith likes this.
  9. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Nope. SUPER HiloTrons (as found in the 5622 model) are actually humbuckers-- two coils per pickup. One coil has adjustment screws, and the second coil has simple non-adjustable slugs. They clock in around 4.4-5.1K ohms in impedance. Also, while they are generally slightly less prone to breakup than Filtertrons, they are not as crystalline clean as traditional HiloTrons.

Traditional HiloTrons are indeed true single coil pickups.

Super Hilo's pictured below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    ZackyDog likes this.
  10. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Ugh, I totally missed the "Super" part!

11. EESmith

EESmith Electromatic

Jun 6, 2019
    Plymouth, IN
    To be fair, I edited the title about the same time you posted your first response. However I did not realize there was a difference, but I knew about the construction of the Super pup and not the true Hilo pup. Now it makes sense though. Do the extra coils do anything other than aid in hum reduction?

Ricochet likes this.
  12. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Tv Jones......

KelvinS1965, Sabato and EESmith like this.
  13. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Sure they do. They have individual non-adjustable pole pieces, which means that they are indeed adding something tonewise to the signal path. If they were true “dummy” coils, there would be no pole pieces in the second coil— but instead just an RWRP coil to cancel the hum.

In my experience, they add some meat to the traditional HiLo tone, which is very distinctly bell-like. The Super HiLo’s are warmer than the traditional HiLo’s.

Ricochet and EESmith like this.
  14. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    This is my opinion but I wouldn't judge the sound of any pickup or guitar through a modeling amp. I played my Gretsch with TV Jones pickups through the HD500x as well as several other modeling pedals and I was underwhelmed. In fact none of my guitars' character differences shined through any modeling pedal. As soon as I played them through my traditional tube amps (Fender, Ampeg, Vox, Marshall, Mesa) their character came through in spades.
    It could be that you just don't like those pickups but it also could be that they just sound bland through modeling amps.

T Bone and Ricochet like this.
  15. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Electromatic

Jun 5, 2019
    East Lancashire, UK
    My Gretsch with super hilos absolutely kills through my Vox AC30...

Tube screamer mini gives me that extra push if need be to boost the mids! Although I find a Vox doesn't need much in terms of an overdrive / boost... The thing sings!

Gretschtim1 likes this.
  16. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    +1 Though I went the long way round and tried HS Filtertrons first in my G5622 before swapping them again for TV Jones Classic and Classic Plus (bridge). I just didn't like the Super Hi Lo Trons through any of my amps (all valve; '64 Custom Deluxe reverb, Champ clone, 20 watt Plexi and Mini Jubilee Marshalls).

TV Jones fitted 3.jpg

new6659 and EESmith like this.
  17. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Super Hi-Lo Trons, not falling in love with them.

If you intend to sell them, EESmith, I'd be interested : I love their tone for playing Soul / Funk / Rhythm'n'Blues music...

Let me know ;)

A+!

BorderRadio likes this.
  18. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

My first go too move with any pickup issue is to experiment with height/distance from strings. It can make a world of difference, and so far have never found a need to change pickups, though I also have never owned your model of pickup.

EESmith likes this.
  19. EESmith

EESmith Electromatic

Jun 6, 2019
    Plymouth, IN
    That's my move too, it just isn't quite getting there.

T Bone likes this.
  20. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm also interested in buying them...

Pickups are kinda personal. It's hard to get a read on things anymore, with so many choices and ways to get a tone. The fact that even a Helix can't get you what you want just perplexes me.

What is the pickup you prefer or see as ideal? Have you used Filtertrons before?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice