Sunday afternoon social-distancing activities

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by larryr, Mar 15, 2020.

1. larryr

larryr Gretschie

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    Here's my source of relaxation during tense times. Model Railroading. This town is called "Wrensville". I'm building this for my granddaughter, Wren. She's too young to engineer yet. 20200315_110155~2.jpg 20200315_110250~2.jpg 20200315_110306~2.jpg 20200315_110326~2.jpg 20200315_110336~2.jpg 20200315_110234.jpg 20200315_110208.jpg 20200315_110256~2.jpg

2. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
  3. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    mrfixitmi and larryr like this.
  4. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Hard to tell from the photo perspective, but looks like N Scale?

5. larryr

larryr Gretschie

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    When Wren's dad was young we were train crazy. Some GScale, n-scale, he loved train stores. Long hiatus as he turned to paintballing. Now he and I are working on this for his daughter. Father,Son,Granddaughter bonding.
    Yes, N scale.

6. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
  7. LongJohn

LongJohn Synchromatic

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    Beetlejuice...Beetlejuice...Beetlejuice...:D

8. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    I still have to play and sing at service. Most of my guys have decided to stay home. I have been told that only the 1st 150 people to arrive will be able to attend. Our service set normally consists of about 11 songs. I have been told we will only do 3 songs in order to shorten worship down to half time. Needless to say I am taking my own equipment. Mic, stand, small pa. Well . Time to go.
    Blessings my friends.

9. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    No hugs and no handshakes. Take your hand sanitizer with you.

Stay safe

Charlie westside, larryr and TubeLife like this.
  10. stormsedge

stormsedge Gretschie

Feb 28, 2020
    E. Tennessee
    My granddaughter Wren would love the trains!

So far, I've reorganized the utility room...played half my guitars...changed my Nashville Tele to a 7 way control plate...cut the back open on a 1x12 cab...ordered some small parts for some other projects...and attempted to reorganize my art studio (still unsat).

mrfixitmi likes this.
  11. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    larryr likes this.
  12. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Love and appreciate the model trains . My Grandfather ( whom I was very close with ) was the 125th Street Station Manager in Harlem for the N.Y.Central RailRoad . Loved the old majestic engines that would pass through the stations . Grampa died in 1994 at 89 yrs old . To this day ( even today ) I sit by the railroad tracks and think of him

13. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Cool!

Model trains ... model towns in the end ... are really really ... cool. I never did it myself, but always thought I might do so one day. There was an attempt when I was like 8 years old, but it didn't come very far.

Anyway, for people visiting northern germany, this

https://www.youtube.com/user/MiWuLaTV

is kinda mandatory. Some see it as too professional, which ... I can confirm, but I'd cut out the "too" - this is a very large model-landscape, consisting of a fictional town, part of Hamburg, east Germany, Scandinavia, the USA, Italy, Switzerland and I think a bit of France is shown there, too. And they're always building another part, it never will be finished. I only was there one time so far, before Italy was finished, while it was built, prior to an Iggy Pop concert. Very enjoyable day, by two reasons!

This is located in the Speicherstadt ()translates to store-town), an outdated area in Hamburg's seaport built in the 19th century to store things like coffee, spices and the like. Stuff from far away, luxury items of pre world war era. These buildings were retired some decades ago and now there's a lot of different things in it. All built from bricks (I love the dark red of brick buildings ... I live in one, the style of built is called Backsteinexpressionismus in german ... brickwork-expressionism ... weird word...). In 2000, two brothers started this operation. Anyway, it's worth a look, even if only on youtube - that's what happens when a few freaks turn their hobby into their job. They're totally nuts, in a positive way.

They even have an eruptable vesuv ... a model volcano:

but, anyway, this isn't about their stuff, it just ... it's nice and seems to fit in here.

You can hide a ton of details in a town or landscape of that size/scale, and in the end, you're the creator of a little world that's just there for you and your loved ones (or whoever is allowed to attend) and you always have to think and plan and measure ... work out a solution for a problem you never expected to have, ... railway models are cool! I said that already I guess...

And ... grandpa-granddaughter bonding - to me seems desirable.

... do you have a wiring schematic of this? Would love to have a look ... I, kinda, like weird and special wirings.

14. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Gretschie

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    do t health concerns..i moved the mic's 3' back to record the main Rhythm today
    New year dsl (2).jpg

15. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    20200315_175011.jpg
    We did practice for a postponed show 20200314_164355.jpg here is my HO rail yard thus far, i also Got a Lionel for christmas that is away until christmas

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  16. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I love trains! I grew up 1/4 mile from three tracks---NYC, GT and CSSB(South Shore interurban---the last one left in the US). I'd love to do a SS layout, but, lack of space and a total lack of SS electric models in any scale are drawbacks. I remember the last of the steam era. Miss those great beasts, but, I can understand why some people hated those smoke belching behemoths. Mom had to redo her laundry more than once.

I've seen some great model layouts. Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry has a huge one, as does Indy's Children's Museum, which also has a huge collection of prewar tin types. Purdue's oldest student organization is the Model Railroad Club, which, for the "Boilermakers", seems appropriate.

17. stormsedge

stormsedge Gretschie

Feb 28, 2020
    E. Tennessee
    larryr likes this.
  18. larryr

larryr Gretschie

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    You have a granddaughter named Wren?

19. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    When i was a kid , I thought Charlie was a real kid and I wanted so much to be his friend and ride his train ....darn right I said it :p

mrfixitmi and larryr like this.
  20. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    :D:D:D

larryr likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice