Summer NAMM 2019: Gretsch Unveils New Electromatic Models

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by ZackyDog, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Not sure if you think that's on the high or low side, but Gretsch has the luxury of not having to differentiate much between models apart from budget or Prolines. I'm not sure how many SGs Gibson put out this year but a big box dealer like Thomann Germany carries about 20 different Gibson SGs as we speak(not counting Epis).

larryb and Waxhead like this.
  2. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yes Gibson SGs are cheap cos they are just a slab of wood with good humbucker pups and a good neck.
    They are light, have great upper fret access, look great and sound just as good as an LP imo.

A Corvette is no different and can easily be upgraded with Powertrons and maybe a bigsby / locking tuners in a variety of colours and made in Japan as a proline model at a price competitive with SGs.

They'd have the Powertrons and bigsby as the point of difference from SGs while keeping all the other very popular features.

This is a far bigger and younger market than stuffing around with tiny variations on hollowbodies :)

3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    For a slab body design they can get pretty pricey. Prices at Thomann start at 900 bucks for a simple Tribute all the way up to 7000 for CS models. But that’s Gibson pricing for you.

I always liked the Nono sig Corvette, but could do without the B5 and dot inlays.

[​IMG]

Waxhead likes this.
  4. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I guess I just cant see Gretsch making a proline for only $1000...I wish they would and think it could be done. I just dont see it happening.

Ricochet likes this.
  5. DennisC

DennisC Gretschie

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Hm, let's see ... no.

RomanS likes this.
  6. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    England
    Exactly

7. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well I did say around $1000 originally and price competitive with SGs- so that could be like up to $1200 :)

8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia

What pups are in that one? - I'd want TVJ Powertrons.
    And the B5 could easy be ditched if it didn't operate great.
    Put in thumb nail inlays, ebony fingerboard, chrome hardware, a few different colours and bingo - big seller imo :)

9. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    The Nono sig has Powertrons. Ebony would be great but no biggie. Def thumbnails!

10. mapotofu

mapotofu Electromatic

May 1, 2018
    Chicago
    Just noticed on Sweetwater that the new versions of the G5622T centerblock models are now made in China vs Korea. You can clearly see the country of origin on the back of the headstock (new version in dark cherry vs old version in georgia green). I'm a big fan of the previous v2 5622t. Wondering how the new version compares in quality.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Merc likes this.
  11. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I had noticed that as well on the Imperial Stain 5622 on Gretsch's website. I know the Chinese guitars have improved but have no idea if it’s Korean quality. The switch has got to be for profit reasons. Unless Gretsch suspects a war about to break out on the peninsula.

58890DDA-4809-436B-8B6A-2670145805D3.png

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  12. stephenyi

stephenyi Newbie

Aug 19, 2013
    naperville,il
    That imperial stain is gorgeous and I'm fond of the dark cherry finish as well but I still prefer the specs on the Korean v2 model -- rosewood vs laurel, super hilos vs broad'tron, and open vintage tuners vs die cast.

Merc likes this.
  13. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Those die cast tuners look wrong, same for the headstock shape (or I‘m wrong).
    Made in China is like Made in Korea ten years ago...

14. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Well the price does appear to be lower on the Chinese made 5622 from what I could infer online.

15. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    The Steve Wariner model is really tempting, even if I‘m not a big friend of painted f-holes and black archtops. But man, what a tone!

audept likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice