Studio; Ceiling height and acoustics?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Ricochet, Mar 26, 2020.

1. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Red Rocks is still one of the best outdoor settings I've been to. People died at the Indiana Fairgrounds even tho they saw the monster thunderstorm coming from miles away. I've worked so many outdoor shows that should've been cancelled due to weather (rain, tornado once, blowing ice, etc.). Outdoor gigs have so many issues other than weather---primarily you never have enough power. There are no walls or ceiling, so the sound just goes. At least Red Rocks has walls, and the sloping seating makes for a better chance of hearing the band. That, and the place is beautiful!

Ricochet and Jena like this.
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Tnx everyone, you have been most helpfull. GT comes through once again!

I went with a 3M drywall ceiling height, wooden floor, solid wood door, and double thick glass for the windows.
    Will add carpets, heavy curtains, and bass traps in the corners as I go along.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    Pine Apple Slim and Jena like this.
  3. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Don't forget dedicated AC that isn't tied in with any HVAC or lighting dimmers.

Ricochet likes this.
  4. drrohle

drrohle Synchromatic

Jan 3, 2014
    Hays, KS
    If you can, get the dimensions and layout of Sun Records in Memphis. The ceiling design is quite interesting and simple in it's design. Sam Philips really knew sound.

Ricochet likes this.
  5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Absolutely!

6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Sun records? I just want to demo some gear for youtube, at most! :D

Edit: I see what you mean now. Hmm maybe I could apply the same principle on a smaller scale. Not smaller, just less coves, maybe 2 or 3?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  7. Many talk about the venue, recommend it . . . maybe someday I'll make it there -
    current/summer schedule is well, on hold - some acts POSTPONED . . .
    for example Easter Sunrise Service at Red Rocks, 6am April 12 is CANCELLED

Red Rocks, Morrison, Colorado (circa 1940)

[​IMG]

Ricochet likes this.
  8. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Photo from 1940? Now, it's in color!

Ricochet and Jena like this.
  9. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It looks like only the ceiling has any unusual angles to it. The walls are straight and parallel to each other. That technology was pretty standard for radio stations. Remember that Sun Studios was built in a regular store front, not a dedicated facility. The hi tech gear Phillips had was a simple mixing console and a reel to reel tape recorder (Ampex 350, if memory serves as they were about the only units available then). We actually have Bing Crosby to thank for promoting the tape recorders of that era. Most music was cut directly to a lacquer disc back then. They'd only have ribbon, condenser or carbon (piezo) mikes. I've worked with some of those antiques---and they worked surprisingly well.

Ricochet likes this.
  10. drrohle

drrohle Synchromatic

Jan 3, 2014
    Hays, KS
    There you go man. That's the photo I was looking for. Fascinating place to tour if you ever get the chance.

Ricochet likes this.
  11. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Actually it was the Great White debacle but I agree - foam sucks for many reasons. First it has a short life span of maybe 10 years before it starts disintegrating. They make fire retard foam but the chemicals it puts off during a fire are deadly poison. It doesn't have a smooth frequency responds. You'd be better off using cloth over fiberglass board. It can be cleaned, last forever and has much better acoustic properties than foam. Yeah foam is cheap but you get what you paid for. I found out the hard way and bought it twice. Had I bought the Fiberglass panels at first I would have saved time and money in the long run.
    The bottom line good room acoustics does make a difference but with proper mic technique you can get a good recording in just about any room. Mixing is where you really run into a problem when the room acoustics suck.

Jena and Ricochet like this.
  12. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've had foam in old mike cases go south. It leaves a sticky mess that's really annoying to clean up. Many foams are a petro chemical product. They make foam 2'X2' acoustic panels with wedge designs and such, and they're anything BUT cheap. I agree with using fiberglass batts. They're a perfect solution for sound damping panels.

For lining ceiling and wall voids, I highly recommend blown cellulose. It's treated to be fire proof, and it's sound deadening qualities are top notch. It's also superior to fiberglass in R value. It's made from recycled newsprint.

Mike technique is most important. I very rarely find someone who can properly mike a Leslie, especially live. There are many vocalists who have no clue about mike technique, either.

Jena and Ricochet like this.
  13. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    The big venues have the whole venue mic'd so they can adjust the sound in real time, I saw a documentary about it, it was really cool. Much of it is automated of course.

Ricochet, wabash slim and Jena like this.
  14. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Gretschie

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Wow, that is cool, I'd love to see that documentary!

Ricochet likes this.
  15. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Not to drag this on... but how do you isolate the Airco?

16. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Another question...

What would be the reason a certified electrician does not install grounded wall sockets in the entire house?

17. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    Dumb and lazy with little regard for consequences. Getting thru the job as quickly as possible to collect a check. Pretty normal behavior in my experience.

Ricochet likes this.
  18. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I fear you might be right.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice