Join Gretsch-Talk Today

String Thru Bigsby-Not Thrilled

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by LA Miles, Feb 10, 2018.

1. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  2. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Good point. Whenever I break a string on any of my "normal" Bigsbys, I'd be hard-pressed to find that end of the string on stage let alone worry about getting it off the post. They tend to self-eject like shell casings. Sometimes I run across them during load-out.

Ricochet likes this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I have some troublesome high e-string ball ends in backloaded Teles and Strats that just won’t come out without persistant prodding.
    My guess is with each string bend I’m somehow slightly burring the ferrules. Maybe in a few years they’ll have worn out enough for the ball ends to simply fall out. :)

4. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    tremsby.jpg

...and then there are just better designs!!

Not as cool as a Bigsby...but I will race and smoke anyone with a Bigsby, in a string change competition

TSims1 and Ricochet like this.
  5. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    The very first time I restrung a Bigsby, it was a tension-bar model and living hell for my inexperienced hands. These days, I restring a Bigsby without conscious thought and it’s never a problem. I think it’s a case of “new and improved” a solution to a non-problem.

Is that something they serve in Australian Starbucks? :)

6. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    It's what the politicians in the Federal Parliament imbibe all day long....:(

7. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    Well, you gotta look like you’re doing something, especially if you aren’t. :)

8. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Their main defense for inaction is distraction.

9. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    I like the Douglas Adams notion that politicians are there to distract us from real authority. I think there’s a grain of truth to that.

Ricochet and audept like this.
  10. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    If only we could get them to stop talking about themselves long enough to actually focus on running the country, things would improve for the general population. I gather that we are not alone in this problem....;)

11. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    I think it’s universal.

12. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    audept likes this.
  13. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    audept likes this.
  14. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Nah, not as long as they're not taken too seriously. Great place to chat, look at guitar pr0n, get help, share music...

Ricochet likes this.
  15. Lee Erickson

Lee Erickson Country Gent

Apr 20, 2009
    Eagan, MN
    Well, first of all, I think that we should respect guitar string wire (music wire) as one of the strongest substances available. Some natural things, such as spider sthresd are out there, but so much available.

Getting a guitar string tuned uses a big part of it's strength.

The conical holes in the Bigsby bar don't bother me much, but the kink coming out the other side does.

My thinking is to go with it. If it breaks, add a winding around the Bigsby shaft. Then let Gretsch know about it.

Lee

16. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    That could prove to be the break point. I much prefer the traditional Bigsby arrangement. I have never lost a string from breaking at the Bigsby end.

I did a calculation of the yield point of steel a while back. I believe there is a fair degree of margin for the average string when tuned to pitch.

17. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    This is the first ive heard that the string through is an issue. It sounds to me like a manufacturing defect, and should be replaced by Gretsch or FMIC.

there is no reason a string through shouldn't work, its quite simple. Having one defect shouldn't mean that the idea itslef is bad, just as if a string peg on a regular bigsby was defective, it would be silly to write off all bigsbys with pegs.

I think you should contact them for warranty repair or pay for a Callaham string through.

18. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Larry, this might be a silly question. Are the ball ends on all strings the same size?

19. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    [​IMG]