Join Gretsch-Talk Today

String Thru Bigsby-Not Thrilled

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by LA Miles, Feb 10, 2018.

1. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    But I said "IMO"!! That means I can say anything I want after that!! ;)

I guess we all like what we like. If some of you have convinced yourselves that fishing for a pin on the end of a bent guitar string is fun, then it's fun! Me? I want quick, simple, and EASY. I don't enjoy stringing guitars. I enjoy PLAYING guitar.

ruger9, Waxhead and Henry like this.
  2. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    I doubt that the change to "string thru" design was motivated by the desire to improve something that's worked just fine for 60 years. It was more plausibly driven my a marketing opportunity. "New and improved", a feature they can tout on new models that makes it sound like your getting something more. Next thing will be a shorter handle breakthrough!

Pete66 and Robbie like this.
  3. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Never had a problem with string changing on traditional Bigsbys with pins.
    It’s easy once you’re used to it & takes minutes to change all 6.

Pete66, Stefan, audept and 1 other person like this.
  4. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I love building guitars and I love touching bigsbys, most of the time fully clothed

Ylikessu and russmack like this.
  5. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Just in case...Callaham makes a string-through shaft that should be properly sized:

https://www.callahamguitars.com/bigsby_catalog.htm

Is $45 too much? If you're convinced of string-through, then probably not.

LA Miles likes this.
  6. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I get the discussion about the merits of the old system, but he bought it new. I'm not sure he had a choice in this case.

7. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    PA
    Ok, here's a pic. Look at the 2 E strings especially. The treble E is almost totally inside the shaft. The point is, if you were making this, would you drill a whole that is the size of a man-hole cover to feed something likely .o59 at most? Also, this is a ProLine.

The pins were ok IMO, string thru could be better but not with this engineering. Somebody mentioned the StringSpoiler (think that's what it's called) - not gonna work on new Bigsby's. They tried to fix something that wasn't broke, Ed may be right on a marketing ploy.

New strings are ordered and I'll fix it up.
    IMG_1286.JPG

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  8. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Ridiculous. Selmer built their UK Bigsbys with screwed-on pins, much better idea. I‘ve played an ARIA 20 years ago with a string-thru Bigsby copy, worked flawless.

9. 5420LH

5420LH Gretschie

Dec 7, 2017
    USA
    I’m new to Gretsches and restringing and my first impression is . I guess I’ll get used to it. So could it work if you did it backwards, tie the string into the tuning post leaving just enough length to loop it around the other end and catch in the post and then tighten it?

I’m sure the answer is no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Man, that's just piss poor for a Proline Gretsch.

ruger9 and Stefan like this.
  11. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Yes.

1. Bend the string approx. 180 degrees at the ballend;
    2. Pin the string on;
    3. Press a piece of mousepad under the pin, so the ballend won‘t slip and keep the string under tension while stringing.
    The mousepad will also avoid damages from slipping ballends.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  12. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    You shouldn't have to go thru that. I would call Gretsch and tell them about it.
    It's only gonna get worst over time.
    They should have an authorized Gretsch service center order you a new Bigsby (maybe the non-string thru one) and when it comes in call you so you can take it back to them for the change over - It doesn't take that long.
    That problem is simply unacceptable - best of luck to you.

radd likes this.
  13. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    You are right with one exception - Floyd Rose and all locking nut systems - they are a big pain in the ass.

TSims1 likes this.
  14. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    The string-thru Bigsby on my 2017 Annie Players Edition looks the same:

P1010002.JPG

But it works very well - the holes are conical in shape to grip the ball end securely, and there's no danger of strings pulling through as the exit holes are much smaller:

P1010003.JPG

Mine stays in tune perfectly, and I've changed strings a couple of times without any problems. Can't say I have any problem with the design. I don't think you have a defective unit.

15. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    PA
    Thanks Dave - yep I agree they'll never pull thru and the hole is conical. My concern was/is pulling into the opening so you can't get it out.
    Mine is a 2017 Anni too. So it is as I suspected, by design.

16. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    If the ball ends are getting stuck in the holes on any of the strings that's a bad design or bad drill job. I've had problems on a few Rickenbacker tail pieces where I had to use a screw driver to pop the ball end out - what a big PITA that was.
    I don't expect that kind of problem with a pro line guitar.

17. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    So, I've just removed both E strings from my Annie, and they both popped out quite easily with a little hand pressure. I'm really not sure there's any problem with the design.

Waxhead likes this.
  18. MrMajstyk

MrMajstyk Electromatic

Dec 3, 2011
    los angeles
    I like the string-thru...I saw it on the Players Edition and I really appreciate the string-thru and the locking tuners.
    For those of us that regularly gig multiple times a week, they are a blessing!

Yes, I was used to bending the string ends with the pliers and looping them over the pins, and holding them snugly while stringing at the machine heads...and hoping they didn't pop off...and honestly, it wasn't that bad...when I was at home, taking my time, guitar on the table, plenty of light to see exactly what I'm doing, tools spread out before me.

However, I can imagine being at a gig, middle of a set, string breaks, in poor lighting on the side of the stage, with barely any room, not being able to lay everything out and in a hurry...string-thru and locking tuners would be a blessing!

They are a great upgrade...I did it on my Guild X160 and they work flawlessly! Already have the locking Grovers on my G6120 and will be adding the Callaham String-through this week! Bigsby doesn't sell them (apparently they are exclusive to the Player's Edition models and I can't get one from Gretsch either. Callaham doesn't make the bar in gold, though, which kinda sucks aesthetically...but oh well, still worth it!

19. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    What if the e breaks at the ball end and it's stuck in there? Sure you can go fishing or pry it from the other end with a piece of string or a paperclip, but this is supposed to make things easier.

20. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    You have to admit, removing strings is faster with the pins. :D

Ebidis likes this.