Join Gretsch-Talk Today

String Thru Bigsby-Not Thrilled

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by LA Miles, Feb 10, 2018.

1. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    PA
    Brand spankin new guitar(month old) with string thru Bigsby. Took a look today and noticed one of the string ball-ends is almost pulled thru the hole totally into the shaft and one ain't far behind. The holes are machined out way larger than needed to feed the string thru. So I'm gonna have to see if I can pull it out today.

When I re-string I'm going to line all the ball-ends up and slide a needle thru them so they can't work there way thru the opening again. Maybe a fluke, YMMV.

2. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

How about if you lock em in by inserting on the bridge side and wrapping around/over the shaft?

I KNEW you shouldn’t have bought that dumb guitar. Send it to me. We’ll chalk it up to “live and listen to Tony”.

ffooky likes this.
  3. Reedlvr

Reedlvr Gretschie

Dec 8, 2017
    West Texas
    Dang it! Now I have to check mine!

4. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    Post a pic Larry.

5. Oldfingers

Oldfingers Gretschie

Nov 2, 2015
    Brainerd, MN
    How about a tiny washer on each string!

russmack and peterjcb like this.
  6. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    PA
    could be an option
    “live and listen to Tony” - think I tried that once ;)

TSims1 likes this.
  7. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    That‘s so bad, sorry for you. I never get why they‘ve changed the time proof pin-system for something new that‘s mend to make life „easier“.

ZackyDog likes this.
  8. peterjcb

peterjcb Gretschie

Nov 28, 2017
    USA
    The only guitar that I have string-through is my Supro Martinique Deluxe and I love it when it comes to changing strings...no problems here but the tiny washers seems to be a very easy fix...

9. G5422T

G5422T Gretschie

May 24, 2012
    usa
    What model guitar. Pics would help.

If the ball end is pulling into the string through hole, the hole was drilled too large, and the bar material may be too soft.

No issues like that with the Callaham string through bar.

10. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Because those pins SUCK. Anyone who acts like there isn’t a better way is lying to themselves imo. I’ve been changing guitar strings my whole life, and the song and dance necessary on traditional Bigsby equipped guitars is annoying at best. Far more high maintenance than ANY other type of guitar setup. Is it DO-ABLE? Of course. But even Gretsch has admitted there HAS to be a better way.

11. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I for one don't like the sound of it ( no pun intended ) I wouldn't be thrilled about it either

12. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Longer pins works more betterer than stinky holes.

LongJohn, Pete66, Robbie and 2 others like this.
  13. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    PA
    Exactly, the diameter of the hole is way larger than need be. I'm thinking of using a carriage bolt to really snug things up. ;)

First world problems.

14. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    100% DISAGREE STRONGLY..
    Its a simple procedure and I absolutely do not understand the whining. Make a quick hook w your fingers and change out each string one at a time, done in 7 minutes.
    Drilled bigsby posts result in a game of loop de loop, not fun..
    [​IMG]

Ylikessu, Pete66, arty and 7 others like this.
  15. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I'm with Stefan.

The less Gretsch changes from the vintage model pickups and hardware the better. (Construction is better nowadays, and that's another topic).

Stefan and Trash Kidd like this.
  16. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    +1
    I totally agree with Tony and is why I put string spoilers on all my Gretsch.
    And no reason to give up on the string through option just cos 1 guy is experiencing a small issue :)

17. senojnad

senojnad Gretschie

Jul 13, 2008
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    I am not thrilled with string-through Bigsbys (Broadkaster Jr here). For me, fishing a new string through the hole in the bar is not all that easy (when changing 1 string that's not an E). Not impossible certainly, but (for me) no easier than doing the J bend on the pin thing.

18. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    maybe you need this to help

Ebidis and Ylikessu like this.
  19. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Well, I guess I will continue to fool myself because I do like the pins. I think if I had a string through I would add pins or switch it for one with pins. I pre-bend the ends as I install them, no need for an eraser or wedge or gizmo to hold them in place. I maintain tension and string that babe up.

englishman, RomanS and Martin82 like this.
  20. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I'm with ya, brother!