String suggestions?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by teejay, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Only if you like em!

pmac11 likes this.
  2. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    I found that the T-I's outlast anything else in my experience. By quite a bit. Fortunately for me, I also like the sound. Both flat and round wound depending on the guitar and desired "output".

3. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Country Gent

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    As it happens, they fit what I use, anyway, but I reckon Elixirs would work well on there.

4. Joey L

Joey L Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2016
    White Plains, NY
    Definitely worth it..they seem to last forever. They are extremely well balanced and feel like 10s under my hands. The tone is great, crisp and full. I also use these strings on my Heritage H555, which is basically a 335 with a center block.
    I just ordered two sets from Strings and Beyond about an hour ago....who is running a sale. They cost me $18.69 a set. I bought two sets which are over $35 and qualify for free shipping.

pmac11 likes this.
  5. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    La Quinta, CA
    Yes, I also have found the T-I's to last an exceptionally long time. In fact, if I do a cost benefit analysis, the T-I's break down to being cheaper than $5/pack strings. I've had sets last me a year and a half on guitars that are seeing semi-regular gigging time (twice a month) plus considerable practice time (2 hours a day, at least).

Regular, round wound, nickel strings last me a month, maybe a month and a half at best in the same situation.

So, if we go with the high end, 1.5 months for $5/pack, that's 8 packs a year, or 40 bucks. One pack of T-I's is $25. I win.... At fuzzy math, at least!

6. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    - 10-52 "LT Top Hvy Btm" on all my electrics from 24.6" to 25"1/2 - Electromatics included.
    - 11-54 "Beefy Slinky" with plain G on short scale ones 24", but in standard tuning.

Note : for tremolo use, I solder the braid lower attachment, and clamp-mount at the tuner side.

Here are the models - nothing exotic or costy, by the way :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

7. budglo

budglo Electromatic

Feb 26, 2019
    Ohio
    5420 here. I’m using Daddarios nyxl 11s. Nice balance imo.

pmac11 likes this.
  8. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    I use D'addario NYXL 10's on my Gretsch. They do well with the Bigsby and
    I still get plenty of bend with these.
    all my other guitars have 9's. Screenshot_20190418-223006_Chrome.jpg

budglo and audept like this.
  9. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    I think material makes a much bigger difference than gauges. I‘m playin‘ D‘addarios 10-46 nickel wounds most of my life on any guitar and couldn‘t be happier. They sound great and are easy to play. I change my strings frequently so I don‘t care how long they‘ll last.
    Ernie Balls are nice too, got them on my Thinline just because the D‘addarios were sold out at my local guitar shop ;)

10. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Gretschie

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    A few years ago I read an interview with Poison Ivy of the Cramps, she said she used d’addario 11-5o so I switched to those and never looked back.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice