String buzz

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by andreww1962, Nov 27, 2019.

1. andreww1962

andreww1962 Electromatic

Apr 30, 2019
    Toronto
    Hey guys, I've been having a never ending problem with my 2420 Streamliner since I bought it. I'm getting a slight string buzz on the E, B and G strings, starting at about the 7th fret and higher. The notes are choking out in that area. I have adjusted the truss rod to spec and it still buzzes. I've raised the string height and it still buzzes. I've tried several different string sizes, still buzzes. I've rocked the frets and nothing seems off. Not sure where to go with this? I've also put on a different bridge, tightened all the screws and secured all the wiring inside the guitar. This thing is driving me nuts! Any ideas?

2. slickfaster

slickfaster Gretschie

Dec 29, 2009
    Redondo bch.
    Did ya use a neck length straight edge n check fret board shape? hope you find your ghost

3. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I would think proper neck relief and bridge adjustment for action should take care of it.

Out of curiosity, what string gauge are you running? And are you a player that plays lightly or do you pick and strum hard all the time? Playing heaviness may dictate higher action and stuff than a standard set up.

radd likes this.
  4. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Gretschie

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I had a buzzing problem once and went through all the main adjustments to fix it. Turned out my pickguard was a little loose. Tightened it up and no more buzz. Not saying that’s what’s going on with yours but wouldn’t hurt to make sure all the hardware is tight

Rock Lajoint, speedicut and mrfixitmi like this.
  5. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Gretschie

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    could it be jumbo frets? i don't like big frets they do buzz more

6. peterjh85

peterjh85 Electromatic

Dec 16, 2017
    Pacific Northwest
    Maybe add a touch more relief and then increase the height of the bridge after that to see if you can get rid of that string buzz.

7. andreww1962

andreww1962 Electromatic

Apr 30, 2019
    Toronto
    Not yet. Haven’t even thought the board shape could cause buzz ?

8. andreww1962

andreww1962 Electromatic

Apr 30, 2019
    Toronto
    Ive had 09s 10s and 11s on it. I’m a light player.

9. andreww1962

andreww1962 Electromatic

Apr 30, 2019
    Toronto
    Done multiple times.

10. andreww1962

andreww1962 Electromatic

Apr 30, 2019
    Toronto
    Right now I’ve maxed out the relief and have strings as high as I can comfortably play.

11. andreww1962

andreww1962 Electromatic

Apr 30, 2019
    Toronto
    I have though about this too and think you are probably right. These are by far the biggest frets I’ve had on any of my guitars. But why in just that area of the board?

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
  12. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    What method did you use to check the relief? I capo the first fret, then press down on the last fret. Check the string distance on the 6th string to the 8th fret while doing so.

13. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    I am sorry to hear, had a similar issue that drove me nuts, it turned out to be one of the pickup covers had a buzz. Is it possible to play it when it buzzes, and touch the pickup covers with a q tip, and see if it stops or changes frequency?
    I am sure you will find it, but sometimes the most illogical place may be the area of concern. It is almost easier to make this a 2-person operation, can you play and have someone put pressure on different area to isolate the problem?

Good luck my friend, when you find the solution unfortunately it will haunt you and be the first place you will always look when you have a buzz or rattle.

My great grandfather fixed his Model A with a new condenser, after that he always suggested to change the condenser, even long after the industry went to electronic ignition.

14. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I was using NYXL strings and right around 9 months I would get a buzz. Never found an issue with the guitar but a strong change fixed it both times.

15. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I had similar issues on a new Chinese Jet. I found three slightly raised frets with a StewMac fret rocker and leveled them with their fret leveler

C589F089-F99E-4EAA-9854-D0EDB92572F1.jpeg

Bertotti and Merc like this.
  16. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Gretschie

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    maybe just the way the strings vibrate higher up the neck? i have no technical answer really others here will probably know better than me. either that or the neck is twisted or humped, sucks though sorry to hear that

17. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I’ll have to remember that one. Looks like some great tools as well.

18. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    The type of frets should not matter at all. I would take off the strings and recheck the frets. I would not be surprised if it needs a little bit of work. Or take it to a reputable luthier.

19. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Yeah, my vote is for a high fret around the 7th. I think every guitarist should own a fret rocker, just to narrow things down rather than drive themselves crazy trying the same setup over and over.

section2, GOOBALL JEFF and Bertotti like this.
  20. andreww1962

andreww1962 Electromatic

Apr 30, 2019
    Toronto
    Thats gonna have to be my next step. Just wondering if this is the kind of thing that would be covered under warranty? It came with a one year warranty.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice