string buzz on new 5420

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by whitjef71, Jun 25, 2019.

1. whitjef71

whitjef71 Newbie

Mar 31, 2019
    Texas
    I purchased a G5420TG Ltd. a couple of weeks ago. It has a severe fret buzz, especially at the first five frets. The tech at Sam Ash said it needed to be set up and it would cost fifty dollars. I just spent a thousand dollars on this guitar; why wasn't it set up properly at the factory before it was shipped out.

2. whitjef71

whitjef71 Newbie

Mar 31, 2019
    Texas
    Has anyone else had this experience?

3. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    I've found most new guitars can benefit from a setup to varying degrees. I don't know if they are setup perfect at factory and go out of whack between shipping, humidity and temperature changes or what but I've found it pretty rare to find one pristine out of the box. It happens, but seems more common something needs a tweak or adjustment.

4. Joey L

Joey L Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2016
    White Plains, NY
    Sounds like the neck needed a bit of relief based upon the buzz up on the neck. I suspect, there also was a buzz past the 12th fret also.

5. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    It’s not uncommon for a new guitar to need a proper set up. You could google all of the things that need to be done and try doing them yourself.
    There is absolutely no shame in bringing it to a professional tech and having them work it out for you. Definitely worth the money.

Henry, audept, Wjensen and 2 others like this.
  6. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Plus one.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

audept and Wjensen like this.
  7. jetbunny

jetbunny Electromatic

Mar 29, 2017
    NYC
    Watch. It's very simple and save yourself 50 bucks.

pmac11, Yukimajo and Groutsch like this.
  8. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, whitjef71!
    welcome mat texas.JPG

9. Wjensen

Wjensen Electromatic

May 25, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    +1 again (Does that make it +2) Anyway, you could sit down and perhaps work out the fret buzz, but a tech can do it in half and hour and have you back home playing up a storm. If you bought it from Sam Ash, they should have set it up. I know Sweetwater does. But if you got it off the internet, there is no telling, and it could be a number of things. Besides getting rid of fret buzz, they will also check and intonate your guitar, which is a great service in and of itself. As Calebaarron said, it is well worth the money!

10. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    100% agree with this. A professional setup by a luthier will identify any issues or problems.

Jelly Roll Horton likes this.
  11. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    The price is fair and the work is worth it. My luthier charges $75. I have taken every new guitar to my luthier to have it set up, because then I know it’s right. In addition to setup he checks it for all other things I might miss and certifies that it is OK. I just count it as part of the price.

section2, Henry and audept like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice