Streamliner Owners - Did the Electromatic Quality passed onto the Streamliner line?

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by dreamingGretsch, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    Welp, glad I live in the US lol

2. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
  3. dreamingGretsch

dreamingGretsch Gretschie

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks guys for all your inputs!! Im excited to get a Gretsch again! Tax season is upon us and I’m gearing up for a new purchase.

Since I had the hollowbody, I’m now curious to try the semis with centreblock, but I dont want the tone to overlap with a 335 which is a league of its own. But I’m still decided to get a hollow body as of now!

The SL’s are my way to enter Gretsch territory again, but I’m always on the lookout for the new gen. When it came out, thats the only time I regret buying the 1st iteration of a guitar, i had the old gen 5420T, but the new gen has all the things I wanted. Neo classical inlays, and a few more aesthetic upgrades!

calebaaron666 likes this.
  4. kjmac

kjmac Gretschie

Mar 7, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I have a G5420 and a G2655 Streamliner both with Bigsbys and I love them both. The 5420 was great right out of the box but I upgraded the 2655 with a Biggs fix tuning stabilizer which wouldn't be needed with the big body G2420. The tuners are better on the Electromatic but that is easily remedied. The only other upgrade was a set of chrome knobs. I'm keeping them both.

4454B93A-7EE0-4D01-BA72-95D6737BBAB9.jpeg 2F26EB97-8036-4DC3-9026-6D7E10CDED7F.jpeg

Merc and hcsterg like this.
  5. EC Strat

EC Strat Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Louisville
    I really enjoy my Streamliner - I love the semi hollow body and rosewood fingerboard

BUT many streamliners have issues with staying in tune Be prepared to put time effort and money into rectifying that either with a new nut (the stock one is very cheap plastic), a new bridge, and or new tunes (the stock ones are low quality). I’ve replaced / upgraded all of those components as well as the pickups.

The toggle is low quality as well.

I’ve gone down a rabbit hole at this point but looking back on it I should’ve just bought an electomatic for the money. After all that and the cost of the guitar I’m in probably 900$.

Flouswa, Henry and hcsterg like this.
  6. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Well, by my personal experience, I can say this for nearly all guitars I have now and had in the past - and certainly instruments to come - no matter the price ! It's not a Streamliner specialty at all...

But yes, when it's done, you've got a surprising unique, great player guitar, most of the time... Particularly with cheap models where the measurable gap is sometimes amazing ! That's right : it has a cost - even with costy models, though...

A+!

EC Strat likes this.
  7. ALS57

ALS57 Electromatic

Jun 17, 2019
    London
    I still can't get over the finish and quality of the G2420 streamliner for the money. I was lucky to pick a mint one up including case for £216 so with a new set of Kluson tuners (which was a big improvement), new bridge and a set of nickel knobs (copies) I'm still well under £300. I'm really happy I didn't stretch to the price of an Electromatic for the time being.

8. Tadhg

Tadhg Electromatic

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    I've got a mate with a G2622. He LOVES it. He's unsure of the Nato neck (he'd prefer something more known), and found it a bit woofly at first. But he's modded it with a bass cut on his tone pot, and gets great tones out of it. The standard pickups aren't as 'Gretsch-y' as proper 'Trons, but they're still decent (and obviously upgradeable).

9. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Nato's fine, my 45yr old Yamaha has a nato neck and it's perfect.

10. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I have owned the Pro Lines, Korean Electromatics, and Chinese Gretschs and there is clearly a difference in build quality as you move up in the price ranges. Having said that, they each are great guitars and worth owning. I would not hesitate to own any Gretsch model.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  11. Tadhg

Tadhg Electromatic

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    He's just not sure if that's why it's woofly and muddy on the lower strings. He's a definite tone wood believer, and he's not had much experience with Nato, hence his uncertainty.
    That said, he'd buy another Streamliner in a heartbeat. :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice