streamliner neck thickness

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by nickinthewest, May 17, 2019.

1. nickinthewest

nickinthewest Electromatic

Mar 4, 2019
    australia
    So just another general question.

streamliner junior

On the Gretsch websites they state it is a thin U neck....i havent got too many other guitars around me so i cant really compare. I would say i probably have slightly smaller hands. Im wondering what others opinions on this is?...do you think it is a thin neck?...i kinda feel that it isnt really...lol
    either way can more experienced players let me know if its a disadvantage to have a neck you may feel is a bit chunky or will your hands get use to it. Im not having any problems. I love the guitar. Just wondering if its a disadvantage or not....

2. tdtom

tdtom Gretschie

Oct 26, 2018
    new zealand
    i feel it is a very thin neck. top to bottom, (not E to e)... and flat.... think it's a 12 inch radius. i'm not much off a thumb wrapper but that exercise is tough for me. a definite different feel as compared to say... my Strat at 9.5 inch radius and thicker volume.

nickinthewest likes this.
  3. nickinthewest

Mar 4, 2019
    australia
    to clarify i guess i meant the girth of the neck...

4. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Is it different than the neck on a 2622? I have one of those, and it’s really comfortable.

5. nickinthewest

Mar 4, 2019
    australia
    i think they are exactly the same

6. EC Strat

EC Strat Electromatic

Jan 11, 2019
    Louisville
    For me the neck on the 2420 is pretty chunky - but I don’t mind that. In fact it’s comfortable.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Yukimajo, TSims1, BorderRadio and 2 others like this.
  7. John Drummond

John Drummond Electromatic

Feb 26, 2016
    United Kingdom

A slightly deeper neck means that you'll feel less hand fatique after playing, I currently own 6 streamliners, 1 x G2622T, 5 x G2420's and find the neck to be real comfortable (think more gibson 50's tribute than Ibanez wizard neck) I actually had the chance to play a geniune Gretsch 57 Streamliner at my guitar techs the other day and found the neck to be virtually the same. The only caveat I'd supply is that you try out a few different ones, the shape can vary a little, the 2 posted below are 15 numbers apart on their serials but the upper one's neck feel slighty v'd.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Lindo

Lindo Electromatic

Mar 10, 2019
    Derbyshire
    The neck on my G2655 seems quite chunky to me, certainly compared to my '61 reissue SG.

I really like it, it's a great compromise between comfort and playability.

9. DannyB

DannyB Gretschie

Apr 26, 2019
    Michigan
    HI I feel also that the Streamliner has a very thin neck for a hollow body although the neck on my Gibson SG is obviously somewhat thinner. I have not played any of the Ibanezes or other guitars that are specifically designed for metal guitarists and which purportedly have thinner necks for shredding, so i do not know how the Streamliner compares. As I have posted elsewhere, I simply love this guitar! for the price its a great sound, look, and feel

10. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I have many guitars with necks of all types, and I don't have a preference on thick vs. thin necks... Each has it's advantages or disadvantages depending on your style of play and the size of your hands.

However, as a general rule, most stock Gretsch necks tend to lean towards the thinner side.

11. nickinthewest

Mar 4, 2019
    australia
    having said all that i do actually have another guitar and the neck is so thin that it literally feels awkward to play....like theres nothing to grab onto...i would definetly say the streamliners is far more comfortable

12. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I felt like my 2420 neck was chunkier and more comfy than any proline neck I have owned...I prefer a fatter neck in general, but can work with a thinner neck; they just dont feel as good.. to me

BorderRadio and nickinthewest like this.
  13. goldengleids

goldengleids Electromatic

Feb 11, 2019
    Miami, FL
    my 2622t is wider than what i'm used to, but what i'm used to is a jazz bass.

14. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    My 2655 has a big neck. It’s why I like it. Definitely NOT thin in the slightest. It’s BIG.

Lindo likes this.
  15. andreww1962

andreww1962 Electromatic

Apr 30, 2019
    Toronto
    Its all kind of relative. My 2420 is on the thin side, comparable to a Les Paul, except not as thin under the first few frets. That's the only place it feels beefier to me. But its nowhere near as beefy as the Les Paul 50s profile neck.

16. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    The biggest reason I own a 2420 is due to it's big block inlay and the chunky neck. They do vary a bit though. I played about half a dozen to find a combination of a chunky profile, dark rosewood, and enough neck pitch for Dynas. I won in all three regards.

Comparing necks without numbers is tough. I remember when I got my first G5420--that felt big, but it was part the taper and width, along with the profile. It's actually pretty thin. With most modern Streamliners, the neck size is generally on the thicker side. My G2420 has a big "C" or even "U" shape, 0.86" at the first, 0.91" at the 5th and 0.95" at the 9th. It's no baseball bat, but it's thicker than any Electromatic or Proline I've played. The only Gretsch that's larger is my vintage mid-60s Corvette.

John Drummond likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice