Streamliner g2420 bridge upgrade

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by foo606, Mar 30, 2017.

1. foo606

foo606 Electromatic

Mar 17, 2017
    uk
    Ok so heard that swapping out the bridge is a way to improve intonation , sustain and playability.
    Im after a stainless one , but not sure which one to purchase , options are serpentine , Bigsby compensated , low rider etc . .Either Compton or Tru arc but what should I be getting .Help please as I'm a bit confused .

2. ffooky

ffooky Synchromatic

Aug 21, 2012
    London
    None of those will improve intonation but any will improve tone.

3. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    All good quality bar bridges like True-Arc or Compton will improve tone and sustain, but can cause intonation problems with a secured / pinned bridge base. And for sure the stock TOM bridge has an intonation advantage, because you can intonate each string separately.

I have a True-Arc on my Falcon on a pinned bridge base and intonation is off with .11 strings and spot-on with .10s.

Playability is only improved with a standard True-Arc, which is super comfortable for palm muting.

Also worth mentioning is, that True-Arc and Compton allow a metal choice, which hugely influences the tone:

http://www.comptonbridges.com/soundclips

foo606 likes this.
  4. JohnHuff

JohnHuff Electromatic

May 15, 2018
    UK
    I've modded my G2420 quite a bit but I've fitted a Bigsby and a Vanson roller bridge, which fits straight on, no mods. Excellent!