Streamliner 2622 Gloss finish

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by lennyS, Feb 12, 2019.

1. lennyS

lennyS Electromatic

Feb 12, 2019
    The Netherlands
    Hi all,

New to the Gretsch forum here..I have this 2622 streamliner Torino green. Which is a great value guitar for the money, sounds grand with a dsl1 marshall and a orange 112 cab.

Need to change the bridge and tuners as the quality is ok-ish.

I was very happy that the white binding is a bit yellowish and not pristine white.

But there is one thing, the overall finish of the guitar body is so glossy. My wife thought it was a plastic toy guitar (!). Does somebody has ideas to get rid of this gloss? Does sanding the guitar will do the trick? It looks like the guitar has a polyester finish or is it poly utherane?

Or should I return it and buy another model with better finish, but I love this Torino green (if it was not so glossy) IMG-20190211-WA0007.jpeg

Davis Sharp likes this.
  2. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    I wouldn't be brave enough to work on the finish myself but from what I've seen on the Gretsch site, that's pretty much the standard finish the Electromatic and Streamliner models, at least the ones I've looked at.

Davis Sharp likes this.
  3. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Let it gloss : it's a Gretsch... ;)

Congratulations for the Torino Green.:cool:

A+!

new6659 likes this.
  4. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I don’t mind the shine on my torino 2622.
    In my opinion, it’s the flimsy stock pickguard and goofy knobs that made mine look like a toy. Now with proper chrome gretsch knobs and a cool guard, she looks classy.

Also, looks like you still have the plastic on your guard. Once you peel that off, there should be an improvement in the looks department.

Yukimajo, section2 and hcsterg like this.
  5. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    You can also add a bit of extra class by replacing the black pickup rings with a pair of nickel humbucker rings. I found a pair for my 2655 for about $10 on eBay.

One thing: the stock hardware is nickel-plated on these guitars, so if you're swapping knobs and you want to be really picky, you can get nickel Gretsch knobs.

Davis Sharp likes this.
  6. radd

radd Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I can’t even imagine the agony trying to sand off the gloss on a poly guitar would cause. Within a few minutes you would have a very ugly reliced worthless guitar

If it bothers you, return it and search for a guitar that you enjoy the looks of.

Personally I’m not a gloss fan, but I accept it for the most part. With my latest Gretsch I went Vintage Orange, it tames the gloss a bit. My Telecaster, when I had it painted Surf Green in Nitro I had it left with a mat finish.

wabash slim and hcsterg like this.
  7. tdtom

tdtom Gretschie

Oct 26, 2018
    new zealand
    My Torino 2655 is also glossy, but I'm OK with that. for a lesser shine, leave finger prints and smudges... just don't clean it! HA HA. I li,e the black knobs but wish I could blacken the selector switch barrel and surround.

hope you enjoy your streamliner

8. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT Lenny!

Congrats on the geet,i'd just enjoy it sir!

9. lennyS

lennyS Electromatic

Feb 12, 2019
    The Netherlands
    Thanks all! I will get rid off all the plastics and replace these with proper knobs :)
    That should do the trick!
    I shall post a before and after pic.

Greetings from Amsterdam

calebaaron666 and section2 like this.
  10. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Here’s what mine looks like now.
    I’ve posted this picture enough times, i’m sure people are getting tired of it! Haha
    C8D0082D-C844-4825-84C3-0FE65E731C58.jpeg

11. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Gretsch has used polyester in place of polyurethane for several years now.

12. new6659

new6659 Gretschie

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    I'm curious where you heard that? I don't doubt it because I believe I have heard that polyester build the finish faster than urethane. Any idea who supplies the material?

13. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    Hi Lenny

Welcome to the forum and congrats on choosing Gretsch. Removing the shine is possible, but will require some work on your part. You need Zero grade steel wool and some lubricant, some kind of oil (if I was doing this I'd use coconut oil) would be best, but you can use soap and water. You need to rub the steel wool very lightly over the surface, do not put any pressure on it and after about an hour (ish) you will have taken the shine off. You could also use a fine grade wet and dry sand paper as well.

Be advised, if you do decide to do this, you will need to strip the guitar first so you can get an even finish over the entire body. Also this will avoid getting any of the steel wool in the pickups! It will be a load of grief and I don't advise you to do it, I am just telling you how. If the finish is really bothering you, then the first step would be to take the guitar back and try for another one. But the gloss is pretty consistent across the Streamliner and Electromatic range. It isn't quite as noticeable on the sparkle finishes as it enhances their look.

As @calebaaron666 has already said, replacing the knobs and switch tip with Gretsch ones (you can get third party G-Arrow knobs on eBay for a fraction of the price of the branded ones) will make your Streamliner look loads better. The very first thing I doid was to remove the pick guard completely. They just look wrong; they are Jet guards and shouldn't be on double cuts and hollowbodies in my opinion.

Oe other upgrade I am thinking of doing (if I keep the guitar) is to widen the F-Holes and make them look more defined. Gretsch themselves seem to feel the same way because the new series of Streamliners have their F-Holes much better defined. They are almost good enough to add some binding to... If I do this it will be slowly with fine grade sand paper and no power tools, I really don't want to crack the finish.

As has already been said, this will nuke it's resale value and only do this if you have bonded with the guitar and can't envisage playing another. Personally I like the gloss on my 2420T.

14. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Calebaaron666: I hope you didn't need to shoot any endangered wildlife to get that pickguard!! Wild stuff!

calebaaron666 likes this.
  15. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Nope, didn’t ‘shoot’ anything.
    I stalked a beast thru the jungle with a knife in my teeth!

16. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    From this guy...
    http://oldschoolguitar.net

The luthier, Curt Wilson, is a personal friend, and has refinished more Vintage and modern Gretsch instruments than anyone else I know. Curt also has a direct line to Joe Carducci at Gretsch, who has confirmed this.

Even the lacquer finish models have a polyester base coat.

17. radd

radd Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I have read that Fender uses both depending on if the guitar is made in the US or Mexico. There is really very little difference between the two, other than I have heard that polyester is less expensive to utilize. They both will do a great job protecting a guitar, but neither one will age as well as nitro or be as forgiving to ding and scratch repairs even though both are more durable than nitro.