Stray Cats Cat Fight song/new album

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Merc, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Let the waiting game begin. I’m sure there’s going to be some great and memorable tracks. After all, they’re tops in what they do. It’ll be interesting to see which new songs they throw into the show. Some might go over better in a live setting too.

I wish the US (North America) leg had more shows with wider land coverage. A lot of us will be left out in the rain. I don’t believe I’ve seen Canadian dates either. Hopefully they do a DVD to catch the moment. Rumble in Brixton was such a great show to watch, even if only on TV.

Alberta_Slim and 5120mantis like this.
  2. CatTones

CatTones Gretschie

Jul 28, 2017
    Boston
    LOVE THAT COVER

5120mantis likes this.
  3. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I like it and am looking forward to getting a copy,i have most of their stuff ,i'd buy anything if Brian was on it! Lee ,as well as being a great bassist is also a great vocalist i think.

Sadly ,i've never seen them live,and won't this time around either.:(

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  4. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Did you ever pick up CD’s of when he was with the Tom Cats? I’ve got a couple and they’re really raw but it’s interesting hearing him play Rockabilly so early on along with the covers selection.

You’re probably aware of the few clips of him on YouTube with the Bloodless Pharoahs. I found Brian’s take with the Stray Cats improvement to the lyrics on Storm the Embassy so much better. So weird watching him play that Strat with Tele neck. It does make me wonder if he had stuck with a Strat how many people would’ve picked up a Strat as opposed to a Gretsch.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  5. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    A small video of the them at the studio on this Rolling Stone page. Looks like Brian played at least his Silver Jet, the 59, and a Hot Rod. Recorded live. It’s hard but if you listen to the background music behind them talking you can sort of hear a bit of it. I have my suspicions regardless if you like the Cat Fight song, the rest of the album is going to be really solid. I’m now excited again.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/the-stray-cats-new-lp-tour-dates-804665/

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    Alberta_Slim likes this.
  6. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
  7. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Sounds likenthy should have put Rock it off out first...

8. buzzanderson

buzzanderson Gretschie

Jan 19, 2015
    Centreville, VA
    Thanks for the heads up. I just scored two tickets to the Virginia show. And it's nearby at a great venue.

5120mantis and Merc like this.
  9. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Or others as I bet some real Jem’s are on their. The Cat Fight song will likely grow on me the more I hear it. Regardless, I’m sure everyone’s excited the Cats are back together. Hopefully for more than one album. It would be really cool if they brought another Rockabilly revival back to inspire the younger generations.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    5120mantis and Alberta_Slim like this.
  10. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    It's amazing how Brian was young and talented since the beginning...

Merc likes this.
  11. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Unlikely. Young people are what typically inspire the younger generations. These dudes are grandpas now. Were you inspired by grandfather bands when you were a kid? ;)

This is mostly a nostalgia act now(flame suit on)for all the youngsters of the 80s. Not to knock it though - I love the Cats and rockabilly at large. What we NEED for a real bonafide revival is 20-somethings playing rockabilly, but I don’t really see that happening anywhere. We rockabilly fans are a VERY small portion of the population. Like, tiny.

Merc and Jockabilly like this.
  12. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Good point. Rockabilly cats need to take their kids and grand kids to live shows to get them exposed. Maybe they’ll return back to it after they listen to pop or whatever and hopefully pickup guitar and inspire. I later returned to listening to stuff my Pops listened to when I was a kid (Creedance Clearwater Revival, Hank Williams, etc).

13. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland

Nobody ever recorded live in the studio before this? Huh? There are even clips on the video of them doing backup vocals, certainly NOT live. WHAT THE HECK???

Merc likes this.
  14. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I've heard the whole record a couple of times in the weekend.
    To me it sounds a lot like the latest Rockabilly Riot production plus (or minus, depends on taste) the raw edges of the Slim Jim-Lee rhythm section, which is my favourite of the whole rockabilly scene (and will ever be).
    There's a couple of songs that really stands above the other, in particular "Three time's a charm" that has that Fishnet Stockings vibe and "Desperado" (not the Eagles one), with a really sweet pickin' by Brian.
    The real difference from the classic Cats production, imho, is the vocals. I wish they would be more effective like it was on the early records and not on the "ok, let's write some words on top of the music" side which I think is the trend of Brian's production apart from the Orchestra.
    It's not a immediate keeper though. The songs need to be listened, but I think the same for the RR production.
    And it's not in your face like Blast Off was, but it's raw enough to be classified as a rock'n'roll record, something that doesn't really happen for most of the rockabilly/traditional rock'n'roll bands today that are mostly towards to the "easy listening" section.
    And that's enough for me.

Merc likes this.
  15. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    @stiv - how did you hear the whole record? Release date is May 24 from what I can find.

16. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Well, I streamed a demo from some friend in the business. He knew I'm a big fan, so he gifted me with a link. :)

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  17. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    You lucky dog! Or maybe I should say cat. :cool:

Merc and stiv like this.
  18. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I just ignored the nobody recorded live thing before comment. Was a bit odd and not sure if he meant the producer or what. Maybe he was just excited and in the moment. I can’t explain it otherwise but know I’ve said some dumb things in the past.

Thanks for taking time to write the review.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    stiv and JHowdy like this.
  19. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Maybe so :).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice