Stray Cats Cat Fight song/new album

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Merc, Mar 5, 2019.

1. dkian

dkian Electromatic

Apr 30, 2009
    Denmark
    sounds like a mix of "too hip gotta go" and the chorus of "switchblade 327" -I hope the lyrics gets more
    depth in the rest of the songs

Stefan likes this.
  2. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    That's true, Brian quotes Too hip gotta go in his solo.
    I'm a bit afraid since usually a "hit" is the first release of a new album.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  3. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    remember, its a Stray Cats reunion. They are making nice nice together so recording songs as a band is a monster huge step in a good direction because Lee and Brian have not gotten along for some time. Lee had "no cats" on his license plate for a while too. :) Dont expect Brian to be playing BSO riffs, and also compare his playing to the horrid wannabe rockabilly bands that are really just blues bands w an upright. He, like Reverend Horton Heat stand on the shoulders of rockabilly giants w their unique approach to solo'ing regardless of quoting themselves from other songs. :)

4. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    I really don't remember it that well, but the overall sound and atmosphere sounded like Blast Off to me. Certainly not Rant'n'Rave at all :D. But I must say I don't really "understand" music, I just listen to it.

Alberta_Slim and Jockabilly like this.
  5. JCW513

JCW513 Electromatic

Sep 21, 2017
    Boston
    To me his best tone, on the Sun Records tribute... It sounds like he used flatwounds or P90s on.. I also like his tone on Lonely Avenue.

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  6. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    According to an short old article on Music Radar it was his regular set up with his 59 Gretsch and usual gear. Except for the track What’s her Name where he used a Maganatone amp. Great sound and tone for sure. https://www.musicradar.com/news/gui...billy-riot-all-original-track-by-track-604220

7. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Lee’s 98 album was also called No Cats. I would love to know the story about that and the license plate. I’m taking a wild guess that he’s proud of material created as the Stray Cats, but I could see him be hassled to only play that material. Maybe as an artist he was trying to step away and get some new freedom. I like a lot of his solo material too.

8. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    L.A.
    For what it is, I still think it sounds pretty cool. Yes, nothing out of this world or mind blowing but I think most people, just like movie reboots, expect the same "look and feel" of the original. That would've been awesome but I wasn't holding my breath. I think it's expected for most fans to listen to this and think it's boring or just not the same as the good old days.

9. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    Hmm, that article is on "Rockabilly Riot." In the liner notes to the Sun tribute he says, "As for myself, I played an old Gretsch duo-jet through a tiny Supro amp..."

I don't know much about Lee Rocker's solo work but from what I've heard I think he wants to be the reincarnation of Willie Dixon, which is not a bad thing per se.

5120mantis and Merc like this.
  10. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    At first that’s what I thought that I remembered but no longer have the sleeve to my CD. So I googled and that’s what I came up with. I would trust the CD sleeve over snippets from an interview because Brian probably had more oversight. Did a double take and it does correspond with his Rockabilly Riot All Original album and not the the Rockabilly Riot Sun Tribute album. Thanks for the correction.

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  11. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    But his 59 probably has had the TVs in them for awhile..that was according to his gear tech...but this sound does not sound like the Classics it's sounds exactly like his Signature set tone and I bet you he has TV signatures in them with aged covers.

12. MikeSchindler

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    To be honest he should rip the TVs OUT and put an original 59 set back in that guitar.

j.s.c likes this.
  13. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Got my tix for Pier 17 in Ny so I'll see y'all on the roof top, sit back you rockin cats and just enjoy the show!

RG7X, DennisC and Merc like this.
  14. CatTones

CatTones Gretschie

Jul 28, 2017
    Boston
    Well, you know what the say, "Opinions are like A-holes, everyone has one". Loving the New Track, and looking forward to the release of the Entire Album, I mean, C'mon how long has everyone been saying "I wish they would get back together", now they do, so whatever Enjoy it or Don't, it's your choice. Rip it up Cats !

15. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    If you are expecting something new and exciting from the Stray Cats, well it ain't going to happen. Just sit back and enjoy the show close your eyes and relive some of your own happy moments. :) I have seen them three times and the orchestra twice it is enough for me.

16. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I’m just a casual fan of Stray Cats, only own one album but always loved to hear them on the radio or best of all MTV when I was a tadpole.

Song sounded like it had some energy going. Definitely staying within tradition. I like it fine:)

CatTones and Alberta_Slim like this.
  17. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Mobile, Al
    Maybe the song is supposed to be a refresher, more or less. "we're the Stray Cats, and we play Rockabilly" type of deal. Maybe the album tracks will dive deeper in artistry.

Merc and Alberta_Slim like this.
  18. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    New Cats songs title, "I Remember When", "We Was Young and Beautiful", "40 Miles of Bad Road", "Time Changes Everything", "I'm Still Inside Me". I have and still love those Cats now that I look cool enough to fit right in with them, or they finally look cool enough to fit in with me. :) see last pic.

Attached Files:

new6659, blueruins and Alberta_Slim like this.
  19. MikeSchindler

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I saw them in 84-85 at my college.. one of the most incredible experiences of my life .. their music was very different, refreshing and rock and roll.. his guitar was so great hearing it live in that gymnasium. I sat in my seat and stared at the Stray Cat bass drum in awe for twenty minutes before they came on. Lol

20. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    While i love Setzers hollowbody antics, i wish he would rock a duo jet more, Riot 1 is just glorious.
    Check out Lee Rockers' disc bullet proof, great cover of i'll cry instead, a song by these 4 lads from england, they might make it someday

Alberta_Slim and Merc like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice