Stray Cats Cat Fight song/new album

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Merc, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Looks like the release date is May 24th. The below screen shot is from Setzer’s webpage.

Also, he posted the first new track from it on February 13th titled Cat Fight. Not sure how I caught this song so late. Give it a listen from his page/Facebook.

D19E5F9B-FCEA-4DF0-8EB9-C032A06E83A0.png

0AF12F9C-4D01-40EB-9F98-BDA4774F7E30.png

2. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Hmmm. To me it sounds too familar, too "rant n' rave" (which never was my favourite album), too much 'alley'. But that's just me. The guitar solo isn't very surprising too.

Merc and dankas11 like this.
  3. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I gotta say.......I love the Cats........but this bores me. Same old, same old. It feels like they just repackaged. Feels(forgive me)a bit lazy. I’m sure their die-hard fans will love it anyways. Cool to see them still doing it. I just would have preferred for them to show me how they’ve grown over the years and what new stuff they bring to the table because of that growth.

4. DennisC

DennisC Gretschie

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    I agree you two. Sounds not bad, but there are other songs they did that stand out a bit further.

Too expectable.

On the other hand, anything a band does may be wrong - "They don't sound like themselves anymore!" is one accuse, "They never change, they're stuck!" the other, and very narrow is the path between. After a while and a few records, it is pretty hard not to disappoint one group or the other within your audience.

rcboals, Stefan, Lionpotato and 2 others like this.
  5. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Well, I like the song, in perfect Setzer "stray cat" style...

Pine Apple Slim and rcboals like this.
  6. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

True true

7. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I agree I can hear certain licks similar to one’s in the past. He might be trying too hard to sound like the Stray Cats to please. Yes I know, they are the Stray Cats. But I’m hoping they didn’t cave in to pressure and are they Stray Cats sounding more fresh, original, and new. I guess we’ll know soon enough.

I might get beat up up for this. To be honest, since 2001 it’s only his 68 CBS Ignition album that’s really blown me away and is still one of my favorites ever. Although I do dig the first Rockabilly Riot Tribute album as it’s well done, and as it’s the first time I’ve heard of some of the songs. His other work since then demonstrated skills but that’s not what I’m referring too if you know what I mean.

Echocat23, rcboals and MikeSchindler like this.
  8. KuKuKu

KuKuKu Gretschie

Aug 28, 2016
    Germany
    It's okay, but nothing special. Brian's guitar part seems a bit uninspired on this track.

9. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    I like it. Excited to hear the full album!

10. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    I'm somewhat disappointed. It would have been nice to hear some of that early Stray Cats sparkle. It seems a bit hackneyed and recycled. Lyrics are rather on the predictable side too.

Merc likes this.
  11. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Don't hate it.....but it's Rant n Rave 2.0

12. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Without the better guitar tone from his 59 pickups.. it sounds like the new Hot Rod with the new TVs..Setzer Signatures? which Im not a fan of..they do not sound like his original sound.. he should get back to the tv classics, or try the Butts or even throw a new pair of Gretsch HS Filters in there.. back then his guitar tone made me want to run to the bathroom to slick my hair in a DA and wear blue suede shoes... kind of disappointed myself .. now you know why John Lennon stated that he couldn't see singing She Loves You for 20 years.. the same exact formula with same licks..over and over... I hope the rest of the album is better!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    j.s.c and Merc like this.
  13. JCW513

JCW513 Electromatic

Sep 21, 2017
    Boston
    Not amazing, but I like it.

14. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    I‘ve listened 30 seconds...ffwd to the refrain...ffwd guitar solo...stop and off after 20 more seconds. I really don‘t like it. It sounds a bit like a stray cats cover band.

15. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Interesting opinions on the song, me, i just can't wait to see them live!

Merc likes this.
  16. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Sounded okay (and Blast Off stuff) to me.

Jockabilly likes this.
  17. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    You are spot on @JHowdy it is very 'Blast Off' even down to the opening phrases of the little solo isn't it?

JHowdy likes this.
  18. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Old Stray Cats tone is the real cat’s meow. But I really liked his tone on the 68 CBS which I think he used his black hot rod with TV classics or Super’Trons for part of it. But I could be wrong. I’m not sure if he threw the Supers in pre or post recording.

I do wonder how much influence on tone choice later in life is due to hearing loss and ear damage from age and playing live. Certainly it must play a part as they hear things different.

new6659 and MikeSchindler like this.
  19. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    I personally prefer his tone on their 1st album most, followed by „Rock Therapy“ (recorded with a Strat?) and the BSO album Vavoom!
    His tone on „cat fight“ sounds shallow and harsh to me.

MikeSchindler likes this.
  20. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    My favorite song from Vavoom is “Drive like lightning, Crash like thunder”. I know at least live he used to play it with that Silver Jet but I don’t know if he recorded with it for the track. Love his tone on that song though.

5120mantis likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice