Stray Cats 40

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Falcon LPB, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Falcon LPB

Falcon LPB Electromatic

Aug 15, 2019
    Sydney, Australia
    Just got the recent album Stray Cats 40 - brilliant. A local music shop has a significant number of guitars with artist signatures on them - see attached pictures of a white Falcon with the signature of Brian Setzer. IMG_2503.jpg IMG_2502.jpg

2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Just saw the Stray Cats in concert. Great show. Previously I wasn’t that thrilled with the new album, but after hearing the five they played onstage, I changed my mind.

5120mantis, MKunie, CatTones and 2 others like this.
  3. mandobandit

mandobandit Gretschie

Apr 1, 2019
    Ohio
    Took me many play throughs before it grabbed me

MKunie, drmilktruck and Merc like this.
  4. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Beautiful Falcon

MKunie likes this.
  5. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Nice Falcon and signature. I really wish people would sign the lower bout though. Less real-estate for signing. But then they can be played without worry of wearing out the signature from your arm and sweat.

While not my favorite Stray Cat material, the 40 album grew on me with multiple listening. It’s not the first time for me. I’ve bought stuff before, didn’t like it. Only to listen years later and end up loving it on the first re-listen. Not sure why.

MKunie, T Bone and drmilktruck like this.
  6. Gewdkharma

Gewdkharma Electromatic

Jan 14, 2018
    Winter Haven, FL
    I enjoy the 40 record. It's fun.

Beautiful Falcon however I wanna know what the sparkle guitar next to it is, also the meaning behind "oil" and "get it" written next to the knobs.

7. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Falcon LPB!
    welcome mat 90.jpg

Merc likes this.
  8. Falcon LPB

Falcon LPB Electromatic

Aug 15, 2019
    Sydney, Australia
    Thank you. This looks a nice place to talk Gretsch!

MKunie, drmilktruck and Merc like this.
  9. I like the red wrap that says stop. I need one for drummers

MKunie likes this.
  10. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Signatures... if I ever were to have anyone sign a guitar (doubtful), I'd have it done on the back. Can always clear over it. But I'm not so inclined.

Stray Cats 40, really enjoying it. I saw them in Ohio last week, great show. Saw the Slim Jim Phantom Trio 2 days later. Very cool. Had him sign my Stray Cats ticket after the show. In retrospect, wish I'd taken my copy of 40 and had him sign that.

Echocat23 and Merc like this.
  11. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I agree on the signature thing.

Do you know who his current guitarist was in Slim Jim’s Trio? When I google not much comes up.

Echocat23 and T Bone like this.
  12. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I think this is more and more true as we age, our brains are just not as receptive to new things as when we were young.

Echocat23, Merc and mandobandit like this.
  13. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

I suspect it may (or may not) vary depending on who's available? Tour is interspersed between and near Stray Cats gigs.

In this case, Guitarist was Josh Homme (Eagles of Death Metal). He did a great job, played a black, highly modified Gretsch Jet (with chrome P90s and script logo) through a Deluxe Reverb. I got to talk to him briefly as they were clearing off the stage, I wanted to find out what pedals he was using. Had a Strymon El Capistan and a Nocturne Jr. Barnyard. Seems like a cool guy.

Bass player (and maybe Slim Jim's Girlfriend? ) was Jennie Vee (also sometimes of Eagles of Death Metal, and solo Artist). Talented Artist, and tall pretty blonde. All three sang some.

I need to do a post on the show. I have a pic of the set list and a video or two... not sure if I can upload them here, need to find an online host to link to.

drmilktruck and Merc like this.
  14. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Funny that the individual Stray Cats are touring alongside with their own bands. Setzer and Rockabilly Riot and Slim Jim and his band. What about Lee?

T Bone likes this.
  15. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I hope they’re not doing that to prep themselves to stay busy before the next Stray Cats album for the 50th. I’d like another in two or three years. Although I like the solo stuff too.

MKunie, drmilktruck and T Bone like this.
  16. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Josh Homme is a pretty big name to be playing guitar with that group. Don't forget Queens of the Stone Age, Kyuss and Them Crooked Vultures.

@thenocturnebrain (aka TV the Wired Turtle) another big name playing your pedal!

17. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

I think he was having a blast. A bit different for him. I'm not familiar with his other bands besides EODM, but a friend mentioned them.

He was explaining his pedals to me, said "well this one is a Jr. Barnyard", and I said "oh, one of Tavo's" (it sounded great). He said, "oh you know him"? I said "no, but I've got a couple of his pedals, a Mystery Brain (which interested him) and a Detroit Casket" (he was unfamiliar so I told him a bit about it, sounded interested).

He seemed genuinely nice, and definitely liked talking music gear. Jennie and Slim Jim were also very friendly, I really had fun after enjoying a really cool show. Maybe between 100 and 200 people there was all (it was the night before the Woodward Dream Cruise, and this club is on Woodward, there was a lot going on that night).

drmilktruck and Merc like this.
  18. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Yes, a very nice brother. I sold it to him at a Guanabatz gig backstage :)

drmilktruck, T Bone and MKunie like this.
  19. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    So, after the concert where the Cats played 5 songs off the new album, I went back and had another listen. My opinion of it changed slightly. The five they played are the best of the lot, and are quite good. There are several that blatantly ripoff other songs. Others are meh. Mixed bag, like everything after the first two.

T Bone likes this.
  20. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    These Falcons are so beautiful and stunning.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice