STRATOID

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by hcsterg, May 5, 2018.

1. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Well, yes and no... A Mustang modded copy that met the name of her (unknown to me) very close model inspirator : the Fender Cyclone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Fender Cyclone is a made-in-Mexico model, built from 1998 to 2006 in several variants (at least the 4 above), according to my Price Guide 2010 (1st pic) and 2017.

The Harley-Benton MS60 even has being announced - among others - as "similar to a Fender Cyclone" in another forum, in April 2016 : http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=98009

I was lost...:confused::oops:

To be honest, I wasn't very fond of the "Stratoïd" name itself, so I'll opt for the name "Cyclone" for this one - thanks @markeebee for the reminder... :D

A+!

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  2. motoman74

motoman74 Electromatic

Mar 22, 2018
    Ohio
    Great job, but now I want a Squire Super Sonic ☹️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

firebomber and hcsterg like this.
  3. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    The problem with the jag/ JM vibrato isn't the unit itself, its the break angle over the saddles, there's not much there so when you use slinky strings they pop out. Guitars from back then were designed for much heavier strings than most people use nowadays. Your guitar looks like the vibrato is closer to the bridge so the break angle is increased.

hcsterg likes this.
  4. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    No Mustocaster?:D

hcsterg likes this.
  5. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes, that's right, wildeman. And she also have a increased neck angle to allow the installation of a TOM or Roller Bridge, compared to Mustangs / Jaguars /Jazzmaster. The break angle is finally comparable to what you have on a Gretsch -Tennesse Rose (circa 7-8°).

For my 2nd HB MS60-LH-VW, I'm thinking about a pair of Gretsch Dynasonic with a hi-out AlNiCo Artec Lipstick PU in the middle, for the moment.

Wait and See...

6. firebomber

firebomber Electromatic

Oct 24, 2017
    California
    Cyclstrat? Lol

Or perhaps the Sly Strat? I'll stop now.

hcsterg likes this.
  7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Nice work Bruno! Very cool.

8. Junior94

Junior94 Gretschie

Jul 29, 2017
    Texas
    Gimme a shovel cuz I can dig it.

9. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I note it, firebomber, Thanks - The Sly Strat = La Strat Sournoise...

Yes, MustoCaster I and II... But the closeness to the Cyclone model "shuffles a big gale towards the Hurricane, Tempest, Typhoon, Cyclone" names for the 2 HB modded sisters :oops::rolleyes:;)

Thanks "Wes" BorderRadio ! I am akeen to finally use Andy's (neck) and your (bridge) Dynasonic PUs on that "sister" project guitar, plus a Lipstick Artec pickup in the middle position. If I have the budget, then I'll go for a set of 3 TVJ T-Armond custom-made PUs for my Derelict Deluxe Lefty Fake Thinline Gretsch project - but I'll have to wait : at least 500 Euros delivered to France, shipment and customs included :eek:...

Last evening, I compared the HB Cyclone to my Squier Strat Std 2005 modded.

With no surprise, the tone shows the same kind of Strat character, the Cyclone being more Funky thanks to the Squier-set PUs vs. the FAT50 Fender-set PUs that are fitted on my Squier Strat, I guess.

The N + B serie position gives an interesting combination of slightly lifted output level, clear but warm humbucker-like tone... Ths sister project will have that feature I think.

I'll try to make some samples... :confused:

Wait and See...

A+!

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    BorderRadio and firebomber like this.
  10. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

11. Mjb11800

Mjb11800 Gretschie

May 7, 2018
    Johnson city
    Ca c’est super- chouette!

Nice work man!

Where are you in France? I was in Carcassonne for 13 years :)

12. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Lyon

[​IMG]

A+!

Mjb11800 and audept like this.